PDA

View Full Version : Help With A Crafting NPC?

Malimar
2013-07-26, 05:23 PM
Okay, so: In my campaign setting, some towns, scattered across the world, have a franchise of "Mario's Discount Magic Supply Emporium". Each franchise is the same: a little square building, merchandise lining all the shelves, a circle painted in the center. No salespeople, no guards. All the merchandise is illusory; to buy something, you select it, put your money in the center of the circle, and the money is teleported away and the item you desire is teleported in. He also identifies and buys items the same way: you put the item in the circle, it teleports away, the money teleports to you.

It was revealed at one point that Mario has his headquarters in "the sky" -- some floating castle somewhere, not necessarily on the Material Plane -- from which he runs all the Mario's franchises at once.

My players have somehow hatched the assumption that Mario is a dragon of some description, but I hadn't been thinking of him as being anything in particular until they mentioned that. Now I was kind of leaning towards a Beholder Mage, but I'd like to see if the Playground has any better ideas.

I'd like Mario to be as low-CR as possible, because it's generally a low-level world. NPCs generally adhere to E6, minus the "continuing to advance through feats after level 6" bit, so Mario should have at most five to seven PC class levels -- if he can be made with no class levels at all, that would be ideal. (Two levels of chameleon to use the floating feat for whatever he wants to craft that day could be acceptable, but legit having all the crafting feats would be better.)

But I'd like him to be able to craft as wide a variety of magic items as possible, so he doesn't have to just rely on having a stockpile of stuff adventurers have sold him.

Ideally, he would also be able to cast permanency, silent image, and some form of lower-level items-only teleportation circle -- I figure that's about all that's necessary to make the Discount Magic Supply Emporium work.

tl;dr: What monster can craft the widest variety of magic items at the lowest CR?