PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some help with my Grand Torus?

MoistCrayon
2013-07-27, 01:34 AM
Ok, So I'm currently playing a Grand Torus (Like a half Minotaur beastfolk), And I am truly Addicted to this character, I love his Skills, Personality, everything.. Anywho, I was hoping that someone who had played something similar to this had any pointers on how to optimize, or at least, give nice flavor to a character like this... We are in a Tundra campaign, (New Ice Age, apocalypse, type thing) and I am a level Seven Fighter. Oh! and Our party is me, A Human Rogue, a Half orc Bladesmaster, and a Snow Fey Hunter.

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom
Monstrous Humanoid
Medium-size
Grand Turos base land speed is 30 feet:
Auroch Spirit: The Grand Turos can choose to be Large-size as a first level Feat; this can only be taken at first level. This functions as the Gigantism Feat found in the “Feats of the Beastfolk” document.
Keen Scent: Grand Turos with a Wisdom of 11+ may take Scent as a racial Feat.
Natural Armor: The thick hides of the Grand Turos give them a +1 natural AC bonus.
Natural Attack: Gore (1d4 piercing damage), x2 if used in a charge.
Unerring Direction: Because of the unique construction of their brains, Grand Turos instinctively always know which direction is north.
Load-Bearing Frame: Grand Turos calculate their carrying capacity as if they had 5 bonus points of Strength.
Automatic Languages: Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Feline, Gnoll, Goblin, Halfling, Ibixian, Orcish, Wolfen.
Favored Class: Fighter or Marshall.
Level Adjustment: 0

Segev
2013-07-27, 01:40 AM
This sounds IDEAL for a War Hulk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281863) build. It has the size for the entry into it, and it would probably really enjoy being stronger than strong and able to smash multiple beings with each attack.

Alefiend
2013-07-27, 02:09 AM
Torus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus) =/= Taurus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus).

MoistCrayon
2013-07-27, 02:37 AM
Well, This is the page of the Race I am playing... I did spell it correctly...
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Beastfolk,_Grand_Turos_(3.5e_Race)

MoistCrayon
2013-07-27, 02:39 AM
Also, I thought of going with War hulk, But I had a character that was a war hulk, and I thought it was a bit too O.P... I prefer something that's a bit less.... smash thwack fall.... lol

Segev
2013-07-27, 02:59 AM
Well, what do you plan to do with him, then? What do you see him doing when you picture playing him?

MoistCrayon
2013-07-27, 03:27 AM
Goring- I want to try to optimize his natural attack and make it as deadly and as multi-used as possible

Also, He is a smith by Career, but with Bones and wood, Since it is based in an Ice Age, There is almost no metal, And any metal found is extremely valuable.

And I would like to add a bit more to my Power, but that isn't my main concern at this point.. I was just thinking Stuff along the lines of maximizing the potential of the race, and class. Especially Dealing with the Gore attack, I have a hammer, But when all else fails, I charge ahead and try to take it out with my horns.

And some grappling would be nice, since I did take the Gigantism, and I am a large size class... Grappling may be right down my ally. lol

Crake
2013-07-27, 03:33 AM
Do you and your DM realise that that race is homebrew material?

Alefiend
2013-07-27, 04:13 AM

No, you didn't—your own link says turos throughout the article.

Also, what Crake said. Serious homebrew. Dandwiki gets no love or respect from the majority of Playgrounders. There's no way that something that gets +2 Str and Con and has the option of Large size is a +0 LA race.

nyjastul69
2013-07-27, 06:17 AM

Your link leads to a page with no information on it.

Crake
2013-07-27, 06:29 AM
Your link leads to a page with no information on it.

the link didnt include the ")" at the end, so just add it manually and you get to the page

nyjastul69
2013-07-27, 06:31 AM
the link didnt include the ")" at the end, so just add it manually and you get to the page

Heh. Oops. Thanks. It's too early to think. :smallredface:

TurkeyTGNom
2013-07-27, 07:59 AM
I tend to look at homebrew things here and there, mostly because once you have been playing as long as i have, many, MANY things become daft and boring. Now like all homebrew, it must (no if ands or buts) be subject to not only approval but examination and alteration. A lot of stuff you find is whip stitched and unbalanced, but you can occasionally find some really well thought out stuff. at the very least, it can cast inspiration to tailor make something for your campaign.

my advice is find out what your niche is first. find out what you want that character to be known for and find features of the game that encompass what you envision.

Segev
2013-07-27, 09:00 AM
Alright. I would suggest Psychic Warrior, possibly with a 2-level splash of fighter and maybe a Barbarian level to round out the stat-buffing. If you want to "duck your head and charge," look up the various "ubercharger" builds and substitute focus on the gore attack for whatever weapons are recommended. As powerful as pounce can be, it is probably better to focus on the single attack charge, given your preference.

Bull Rush - pun totally intended - is an obvious feat to build a little bit around. Look around for powers or abilities that let you start a grapple or a trip on a successful hit. Especially a trip, since Improved Trip (and some abilities that let you trip on a successful hit) will give you an extra attack (another gore).

For psi powers, go for the really physical ones. Expansion, in particular, since that will let you get to Huge out of the gate and Gargantuan eventually. Prevenom Claw, despite the name, can poison any natural attack (such as your Gore). Metaphysical Claw should work on your Gore attack, as well. Vigor is great early and just gets better throughout, making your tanky build even tankier. And if you DO go for a Pounce build, Psionic Lion's Charge can give it to you, and Claws of the Beast (I forget if your race has claw attacks naturally) are size-based and get bigger as you augment them; throw them in as secondary natural attacks to your full attack routine as early as you like for 3 attacks/round. You might consider Multiattack if you really like doing this, but it's probably not worth the feat if you've other things you're interested in and aren't going for full attacks all that often.

Any Large or larger creature I typically recommend at least consider Combat Reflexes, because you'll be fighting things that provoke AoOs to come into melee with you a reasonable amount of time. A feat dedicated towards stopping them in their tracks (Improved Trip, Large and In Charge) would not be wasted, either.

Barbarian 1's fast movement and Speed of Thought stack. Hustle is actually a great power for those full attack builds, as well, as it lets you move as a swift action and still attack. (Psionic Lion's Charge, though, lets you charge and do it, so it's up to you how to best use that; Hustle would also let you move into position for a charge, and then do a normal charge. If you've got Pounce by some means other than PsL'sC, it's flat-out better.)

Oh, yes, and to complete the "charging bull" image, you can go with Improved Overrun and Trample as feats.

If you can fig Handle Animal onto your build, and have some cash to buy and train them, having a herd of big beefy ice age longhorns could be loads of fun, as well. Be a one-man stampede!

If you don't like the psionics suggestions above, you could go druid or ranger and get a bull as an animal companion, as well. As a druid, you could focus on summoning the things, eventually. Spell Thematics might enable you to make all the Summon Nature's Ally options into bulls, cows, etc. of some sort, using the mechanics of the animal summoned, but all looking like cattle. I'm...actually not sure how good a ranger build would be for this. Their two weapons styles don't complement a single natural attack all that well, unless you can convince your DM to let the two-weapon tree count each horn as a separate attack, basically treating your Gore as both the on- and off-hand attack. Remember, though; it has to count as a one-handed weapon on-hand, now, so no 1.5x str mod to the primary, and the secondary is at 0.5x str mod.

Hope this helps!

Cog
2013-07-27, 09:10 AM
Hulking Hurler would play nicely off of the Load-Bearing Frame racial ability, and it's only three levels so it's not much of a distraction from your other focuses while still giving you some flexibility when running in head-first isn't a good idea.