PDA

View Full Version : True Meta-Gaming

Serpentine
2013-07-27, 02:57 AM
So I just took out my D&D3.5 DMG, PHB and MM, a couple of sets of D&D dice, and my folder of old D&D characters. They're all set and ready to go... to my World of Darkness Mage LARP tomorrow. My cabal is going to have an epic D&D game every month (my character is in charge of special effects :smallbiggrin:), and it seems we're going to start tomorrow's LARP by wrapping up this month's D&D session. I'm hoping to have us all stat out our in-game D&D characters at some point (as designed by our Mages).

So. I think we all know the old joke of "So here we are at the start of the campaign. You're in a tavern. What do you do?" "I go to a table, get out my bone dice, open a book, and tell the others "you're in the tavern, what do you do?"", but have any of you ever actually done it? Have you crossed the streams, and started gaming in your game while you game - gameception?

TheCountAlucard
2013-07-27, 10:57 AM
No, but I applaud you for doing so. :smallsmile:

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-27, 11:07 AM
No, but Rokugan canonically has the Game of Letters, where people send letters to each other as a form of roleplaying. I always wanted to play a game where a Game of Letters that got out of hand was the main plot of the actual game.

Sergeantbrother
2013-07-27, 11:12 AM
This is an awesome idea :smallbiggrin:

Though when mages play D&D, do they ever cheat with entropy magic or anything?

Flickerdart
2013-07-27, 11:13 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/tabletop_roleplaying.png

Craft (Cheese)
2013-07-27, 11:14 AM
I always wanted to try recursing: You roleplay a character who is roleplaying... you!

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-27, 11:17 AM

Though when mages play D&D, do they ever cheat with entropy magic or anything?

No, of course not. That would be crass.

They cheat with Fate.

Serpentine
2013-07-27, 11:30 AM

Though when mages play D&D, do they ever cheat with entropy magic or anything?That has come up. The DM is the main Fate user, I believe... but that player has already decreed that cheating wouldn't be very fun for the characters.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-07-27, 11:32 AM
You broke my head.

Sith_Happens
2013-07-27, 01:21 PM
Let us know the first time one of the Mages gets frustrated with their Fighter and complains that 3.X spellcasters are overpowered.

Eldan
2013-07-27, 04:25 PM
Hah.

I can imagine that it would actually be quite difficult, no? You'd have to keep the character in mind that you're playing in the LARP and, in real-time, try to imagine how they would play a completely different character.

Kurald Galain
2013-07-27, 06:37 PM
What comes to mind is the movie Galaxy Quest, wherein the real actors play the role of fictional actors playing the role of the crew of a starship. That's got to have been hard for them :smallcool:

SiuiS
2013-07-27, 06:53 PM
I applaud you, lovely purple ophidian lass.

I always wanted to try recursing: You roleplay a character who is roleplaying... you!

That's like, the Möbius strip of meta game though. It's an infinitely loop, sure, but less funny.

Unless you play to the hilt...

No, of course not. That would be crass.

They cheat with Fate.

Or time!

*roll a 7, rewind, roll a 5, rewind, roll a 19, rewind, roll a 2, out of mana* "Dammit!"
"Relax Gawain, it's only a 2."
"..."

Actually, that would be kinda fun... Cheating and counter cheating but keepin it under the table...

What comes to mind is the movie Galaxy Quest, wherein the real actors play the role of fictional actors playing the role of the crew of a starship. That's got to have been hard for them :smallcool:

It's not that hard. Challenging, in the sense of needing skill and mindfulness, but each layer of deception was subsequently more shallow, especially since the in-in-character were exalted versions of who the in-character actors should have been.

Sith_Happens
2013-07-28, 01:47 AM

I KNOW WHO I AM. I'M A DUDE PLAYING A DUDE DISGUISED AS ANOTHER DUDE!

Arkhosia
2013-07-28, 02:21 AM
I wanna see a insane wizard who talks as if he's playing a tabletop role playing game!

The New Bruceski
2013-07-28, 02:34 AM

I'm sure it takes some adjustment the first time, but I don't doubt that good actors get used to it.

I imagine it would be like an orchestra player doing a PDQ Bach piece and getting to one of the parts that's SUPPOSED to be played badly. Singing a word holding the consonant rather than the vowel (Knock Knock) or purposefully repeating a note until you have no breath left and making an audible gasp (1712 Overture). One of his songs is Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring with an occasional repeated triplet purely for the purpose of making anyone who tries to play it fall out of their chair as they fight reflex. It's jarring, but you adjust, and that's where the comedy comes from.

Xefas
2013-07-28, 07:05 AM
You broke my head.

What? So, you never played Free Market, and had your MRCZ design an augmented reality Free Market app?

Although, what a nightmare it would be for your character, who has to track who has friended him in the game world, versus who has friended him in the game game world, and how much Flow he has, as opposed to how much Flow he has. Which, if it became a big enough social phenomenon, doing well in the game game could earn you social currency in the game, so your fake social currency could get you fake social currency. Which might get you real social currency with the other players. The real other players, I mean.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-28, 07:28 AM
I imagine it would be like an orchestra player doing a PDQ Bach piece and getting to one of the parts that's SUPPOSED to be played badly.

[Longtime cellist speaking]

As long as it's clear what the composer expects of you, it's no problem. If you know what's supposed to happen, and how to accomplish that, all you have to do is practice until you can do it like 10 times in a row perfectly and without any mistakes.

Serpentine
2013-07-28, 08:29 AM
I wanna see a insane wizard who talks as if he's playing a tabletop role playing game!One of my cabal thinks she's a Dragonborn...

The in-game game didn't end up happening due to dramas :smallfrown: We still officially play at least in the Downtimes, though.

Killer Angel
2013-07-28, 11:20 AM
So. I think we all know the old joke of "So here we are at the start of the campaign. You're in a tavern. What do you do?" "I go to a table, get out my bone dice, open a book, and tell the others "you're in the tavern, what do you do?"", but have any of you ever actually done it? Have you crossed the streams, and started gaming in your game while you game - gameception?

The only (vaguely) similar thing that occurred to us, was this:
We played some characters that were under the delusion of being someone else, under some type of magical curse, that forced us into different beings. Of course, in our quest to regain our real status, we were forced to act as our current "hosts", to avoid suspicions.
For exaple, we had a wizard, that roleplayed to be a fighter, and so on...

The Fury
2013-07-28, 01:23 PM
I wanna see a insane wizard who talks as if he's playing a tabletop role playing game!

I knew a player that did this all the time. He always played halflings for some reason. So now my group has a running gag that halflings have a racial ability to acknowledge the fourth wall and metagame concepts. Unfortunately since none of the other players can do this it generally comes off as mild insanity.