PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Summons [3.5e Feat]

Milo v3
2013-07-27, 04:09 AM
This is the Halaster's Fetch spell line as a metamagic feat.

Fetch Summoning [Metamagic]
The constructs of magic you would normally summon become true creatures once the spell ends.
Benefit: A fetch summoning spell functions as normal, except called creatures do not disappear at the end of the spell’s duration. They do, however, become free-willed and outside the control of the caller after the spell expires. A fetch summoning spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.
In addition, the subschool of the spell changes to (Calling) rather than (Summoning).
Note: This Metamagic may only be applied to spells of the summoning subschool of conjuration, which summon creatures (such as Summon Undead and Summon Nature's Ally).

Erik Vale
2013-07-27, 06:18 AM
Like with seeing the 3.0 permanent summoning spells, I look at this feat and say 'Sooooo, what's the benifit?'.
The only benifits I can see to this feat is the chance that whatever you summon will continue fighting for you before turning on you, unless your DM allows you to use diplomacy on them.

Amechra
2013-07-27, 06:51 AM
Well, there is always casting a Fetch Summoning Summon Undead IV or V; you can produce monsters to add to your Undead control pool...

Milo v3
2013-07-27, 07:23 AM
Like with seeing the 3.0 permanent summoning spells, I look at this feat and say 'Sooooo, what's the benifit?'.
The only benifits I can see to this feat is the chance that whatever you summon will continue fighting for you before turning on you, unless your DM allows you to use diplomacy on them.

Well, Halaster used it to fill Undermountain with tonnes and tonnes of monsters.
And Halaster was insane, so you can't exactly expect him to make his spells the most efficient :smalltongue:

Cheiromancer
2013-07-27, 10:33 AM
The duration of a spell cast by a summoned monster expires when the duration of the summons expires. That wouldn't be true for a fetch.

One could also negotiate for long term service with a fetch, or just let them remain as environmental hazards as Halaster appears to have done.

The bodies of summoned creatures disappear when they die or the summons ends. Not so with a fetch. This could be a useful source of spell components, grafts, bodies for animation, poison,... even meat!

It is clear that Eternal Summons adds utility to a summon spell, but I don't know how to estimate whether +3 spell levels is appropriate.

Amechra
2013-07-27, 10:47 AM
I think it's +3 because, well, that's the level bump the original spells had.

Iirc, the Summon Monster VI equivalent was a 9th level spell.