PDA

View Full Version : Can constructs be undead?

gurgleflep
2013-07-27, 12:37 PM
Regular or living. I plan on sending my party against some undead in the near future and wanted to know if a warforged in particular could be turned into a zombie, a vampire, etc.
If a warforged is (un)able to, then why can('t) a regular construct do the same? :smallconfused:

Thank you to everybody who helps me with this, I know it's a ridiculous question :smalltongue:

Malimar
2013-07-27, 12:43 PM
It depends.

"Zombie" is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature (other than an undead) that has a skeletal system (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

"Skeleton" is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature (other than an undead) that has a skeletal system (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

"Vampire" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

"Lich" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature), provided it can create the required phylactery.

Constructs are not humanoids or monstrous humanoids, so they can't become vampires or lichs. Whether a warforged's metal and wood components constitute a "skeletal system" may be up to the DM; I would imagine the intention is no, but the idea is pretty neat, so I might personally interpret it as yes.

If you find a template that's restricted to only "living" creatures, that's the situation where warforged, as constructs with the [Living Construct] subtype, would probably be different from regular constructs, which are non-living.

Lightlawbliss
Warforged are a "living construct" so they are actually alive. By RAW, they can be turned into undead (But some types don't really make sence)

Normal constructs however are not alive, Hard to make something that was never alive into undead. Some people I know consider constructs essentially another form of undead.

of course, DM has final call in any campaign.

Psyren
It's possible - there are rumors of "undead warforged" called Woeforged mentioned in Forge of War. But what that means and what they are is completely up to you, as they have no stats, creation process, backstory or indeed anything meaningful or useful to help you stat them up beyond the mere notion of their existence.

Drachasor
2013-07-27, 12:52 PM
Normal constructs? Definitely not. Living Constructs? Definitely maybe!

gurgleflep
2013-07-27, 01:06 PM
Okay, so what I've got out of this so far is basically
Living constructs: Yes/no, mostly it depends on the DM and what undead's being used.
Regular constructs: No-go, they weren't "alive" to begin with.
and
Woeforged: Need to be statted out - I can't imagine that'd be to hard.

Edit: Thank you all, I'd forgotten to say that :smallredface:

ShurikVch
2013-07-27, 02:10 PM
Living constructs: being a corporeal living intelligent creatures, they easy fit for templates:
Cauldron Spawn (DR340 p79) // Int 6+
Dry Lich
Spawn of Kyuss, Favored (DR336 p64)
Trap Haunt (DR321 p32) // at least one level of Rogue, which is slain by a Trap, and has a Charisma of 18+.
Drowned One (DU106 p49) //non-aquatic

Specifics beat general:
Creatures killed by a mohrg rise after 1d4 days as zombies under the morhg’s control. They do not possess any of the abilities they had in life.
At 20th level, the death master gains the lich template. Having proved himself as one of Orcus's most treasured followers, the death master attains the mantle of undeath. Even nonhumanoid death masters gain this template, although usually they are ineligible for it. Already undead death masters gain the lich's benefits listed under armor class, special attacks, turn resistance, damage reduction, abilities, and skills. These granted abilities stack with any the undead death master already possessed.

Also, construct (and not only living one) can change type by some template or class. Majority of types automatically mark creature as living and thus fitting for undeath.
Aberration - Corrupted Creature (BoVD), Aberrant Paragon 3 (DR332 p45)
Dragon - Dragon Disciple 10
Elemental - Elemental Archon 10, Elemental Savant 10, Bonded Summoner 10
Giant - Thrall of Kostchtchie 10 (DR345 p27)
Humanoid - spell Humanoid Essence, Greater (RoE, pg. 186)
Magical Beast - Shadow Creature (MotP), Primeval 10 (Frost)
Outsider - Half-Elemental, Petitioner, Pseudonatural Creature, Half-Celestial, Half-Fiend, Acolyte of the Skin 10, Alienist 10 and several other PrCs
Plant - Talontar Blightlord 10 (UE, pg. 34), Thrall of Zuggtomy 10 (DR337 p45)
Vermin - Fang of Lolth 10 (S&S)

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-27, 02:29 PM
The language that, in my mind, means something can be undead is language about death and dying versus language about "destroyed." Constructs aren't alive because they don't die (can't die if you can't be "Dying"...not sure if RAW supports this logic, actually), they just cease to function at 0 hit points.

I believe living constructs don't have this in common with other constructs, so that is fine.

Waker
2013-07-27, 06:25 PM
I seem to recall hearing about Warforged Ghosts. How did the story go? Ah yes.
"They say the old caretaker of this place went absolutely crazy. Chopped up his entire staff. All of them robots. They say at night you can still hear the screams. Of their replicas. All of them functionally indistinguishable from the originals. No memory of the incident. Nobody knows what they are screaming about. Absolutely terrifying. Though obviously not paranormal in any meaningful way."

Yogibear41
2013-07-28, 01:02 AM
Use a Flesh Golem in my opinion seems pretty undeadish construct to me. Maybe a grave dirt golem(I think thats what they are called) you can theme anything to be anything more or less.

Tvtyrant
2013-07-28, 01:38 AM
Use a Flesh Golem in my opinion seems pretty undeadish construct to me. Maybe a grave dirt golem(I think thats what they are called) you can theme anything to be anything more or less.

Yeah, you should be able to make a zombie or skeleton Flesh Golem. It would be teh squickiest, but you could do it. The HP goes up to 117, it loses its immunity to magic and rage abilities and its CR drops by 1.

Darcand
2013-07-28, 02:56 AM
Good questions. Lots of food for thought here.

I would have to break it down by category of undead I believe.

Soulless; Yes. A Warforged leaves behind a corpse, I see no reason why that corpse couldn't be reanimated without the soul. It might not be a "Zombie" exactly, but you could slap the template on anyway and just call it something else.

Bodiless: Yes. If Warforged have souls then those souls should be able to rise from the dead as vengeful spirits. Shadows, Wraiths, Ghosts, all sound legit to me.

Body and Soul: Maybe. Ghouls are created by a disease (and here I confess ignorance) Warforged should be immune to disease. Vampires don't specify that they are created by having their blood drained, but we all know it's true. Wights on the other hand, possible I would think. Liches too, as it specifies that the process to becoming a Lich is unique to the individual. Even Mummies are not that far fetched.

Possibly the coolest Warforged undead however would be the Cadaver Collector made entirely out of them, or a Warforged Demi Lich.

Elric VIII
2013-07-28, 04:15 AM
There is a mention of "deathforged" in one of the Eberron books. I think it may have been The Forge of War.

There are no actual stats, as I recall. It is just an off-hand reference to them. I'd have to say, an undead Warforged sounds rather interesting. I imagine pocked, corroded metal and rotting wood.

rexx1888
2013-07-28, 04:22 AM
wierd point, but wouldnt golems an such already be considered undead from a warforged's point of view...

i mean, look at it like this for a moment. the only major difference between a zombie or a skeleton and normal folks is that they are either mindless or under anothers control, and in the case of vamps and liches theyre a perversion of normal life... so to your average warforged, any other construct that is basically mindless fits this definition perfectly... so really, just having normal everyday golems should give warforged the heeby jeebies :P

Alienist
2013-07-28, 01:48 PM

The broader distinction that D&D makes is that undead are powered/animated by negative energy.

So if you found a way to make constructs that used negative energy to animate them, then you would by definition have created undead, even if it were a weird new kind of undead (hint hint).

The counter argument:

Interestingly, creating a Flesh Golem already requires the casting of animate dead, and it already qualifies as an evil act, from which it is obvious that the initial oomph to animate them is in fact from negative energy. So flesh golems _should_ be undead (by general principles), but aren't (because specific trumps general yada yada). Interestingly a flesh golem isn't healed by negative energy, but is healed by electricity, from which we can further infer that regardless of the initial 'spark' of negative energy, it is electrical energy that keeps it animated.

gurgleflep
2013-07-28, 02:51 PM
I seem to recall hearing about Warforged Ghosts. How did the story go? Ah yes.
"They say the old caretaker of this place went absolutely crazy. Chopped up his entire staff. All of them robots. They say at night you can still hear the screams. Of their replicas. All of them functionally indistinguishable from the originals. No memory of the incident. Nobody knows what they are screaming about. Absolutely terrifying. Though obviously not paranormal in any meaningful way."

Can this be found in one of the many D&D books - probably Eberron?

There is a mention of "deathforged" in one of the Eberron books. I think it may have been The Forge of War.

There are no actual stats, as I recall. It is just an off-hand reference to them. I'd have to say, an undead Warforged sounds rather interesting. I imagine pocked, corroded metal and rotting wood.

I believe that's the woeforged, it's been previously mentioned and I still quite like the idea - I prefer this name for it though.

wierd point, but wouldnt golems an such already be considered undead from a warforged's point of view...

i mean, look at it like this for a moment. the only major difference between a zombie or a skeleton and normal folks is that they are either mindless or under anothers control, and in the case of vamps and liches theyre a perversion of normal life... so to your average warforged, any other construct that is basically mindless fits this definition perfectly... so really, just having normal everyday golems should give warforged the heeby jeebies :P

I like the thought behind this :smallamused: This is something I'ma use, thank you for the idea :smallsmile:

The broader distinction that D&D makes is that undead are powered/animated by negative energy.

So if you found a way to make constructs that used negative energy to animate them, then you would by definition have created undead, even if it were a weird new kind of undead (hint hint).

The counter argument:

Interestingly, creating a Flesh Golem already requires the casting of animate dead, and it already qualifies as an evil act, from which it is obvious that the initial oomph to animate them is in fact from negative energy. So flesh golems _should_ be undead (by general principles), but aren't (because specific trumps general yada yada). Interestingly a flesh golem isn't healed by negative energy, but is healed by electricity, from which we can further infer that regardless of the initial 'spark' of negative energy, it is electrical energy that keeps it animated.

Sounds like Frankenstein :smalleek: I've really gotta start reading into creatures information and not just their stat blocks/pictures.

Coidzor
2013-07-28, 03:17 PM
Hmm, Tomb-tainted Soul on a Warforged? :smallamused:

Spuddles
2013-07-28, 03:35 PM
A dead flesh golem could potentially be turned into an undead creature. Any construct made from once living tissue could potentially be made into an undead.

Shadesteel Golems are constructs powered by negative energy that are often confused with undead, according to their description.

Vultawk
2013-07-28, 03:57 PM
Sounds like Frankenstein :smalleek: I've really gotta start reading into creatures information and not just their stat blocks/pictures.

Frankenstein is a flesh golem, albeit an intelligent one. He's probably why we have flesh golems as a monster type in the first place.

gurgleflep
2013-07-28, 04:43 PM
Hmm, Tomb-tainted Soul on a Warforged? :smallamused:

Where can I find the tomb-tainted soul? :smallconfused: I've not heard of it.

Frankenstein is a flesh golem, albeit an intelligent one. He's probably why we have flesh golems as a monster type in the first place.

It'd make sense *shrugs* Isn't there an awakened construct spell or something?

Waker
2013-07-28, 04:46 PM
My "story" was actually a quote from Portal 2. Tomb-Tainted Soul is from Libris Mortis.

ShurikVch
2013-07-28, 05:17 PM
Also, Wizard-Deathwalker (DR312 p30)
Capstone ability Mantle of Undeath change Deathwalker's type to undead.

gurgleflep
2013-07-28, 06:49 PM
My "story" was actually a quote from Portal 2. Tomb-Tainted Soul is from Libris Mortis.

Dagnabbit, I really gotta get a copy of that game :smallfrown:
Thank you, I'ma look it up now.

Rubik
2013-07-28, 09:16 PM
Hyperconscious has the Psianimate Dead power. It's really good, and it works on any creature that leaves behind "bones or a body," and doesn't specify that they need to have been living at any point. And since constructs tend to have corporeal forms left over from being wrecked, I'd say they count, as do oozes and elementals. You can have up to 4 HD of undead animated at any one time, without component costs (material or XP). They lose class abilities and Su and Sp/Ps abilities, but keep everything else, including physical ability scores (sans Con) and mental scores -- meaning they probably keep their memories and personalities, as well. You can even reanimate the undead that have been destroyed, so long as they haven't been disintegrated or otherwise lost their corporeal bodies.

Psianimate Dead is such an awesome power, I must say.

Yogibear41
2013-07-28, 10:27 PM
Cadaver Golem from Heroes of Horror is something else you may want to look at.

gurgleflep
2013-07-29, 05:07 AM
Hyperconscious has the Psianimate Dead power. It's really good, and it works on any creature that leaves behind "bones or a body," and doesn't specify that they need to have been living at any point. And since constructs tend to have corporeal forms left over from being wrecked, I'd say they count, as do oozes and elementals. You can have up to 4 HD of undead animated at any one time, without component costs (material or XP). They lose class abilities and Su and Sp/Ps abilities, but keep everything else, including physical ability scores (sans Con) and mental scores -- meaning they probably keep their memories and personalities, as well. You can even reanimate the undead that have been destroyed, so long as they haven't been disintegrated or otherwise lost their corporeal bodies.

Psianimate Dead is such an awesome power, I must say.

I like the sound of this :smallamused: Where would I be able to find this and could you give an example of a golem that would be made extra fearsome? My players will love me for this :smallbiggrin:

Cadaver Golem from Heroes of Horror is something else you may want to look at.

I quite like the sound of that so I'll check it out now, thank you :smallsmile:

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-29, 10:52 AM
Isn't there a god that can slap the grave-touched ghoul template on anything he feels like? You can have a grave touched ghoul gazebo if you wanted.

Rubik
2013-07-29, 11:41 AM
I like the sound of this :smallamused: Where would I be able to find this and could you give an example of a golem that would be made extra fearsome? My players will love me for this :smallbiggrin:As I said, the power is in Hyperconscious. It was published by a 3rd party company, but it was written by Bruce Cordell, who also wrote the XPH and all the good parts of CPsi, if that tells you anything about its quality. There are a few minor snafus in there (a couple of them major -- and not really anything exploitive, that I've found), but it's quite a good book regardless.

As far as anything extra fearsome? Clay golems are pretty good with their Cursed Wounds ability, but any golem works alright, since they keep their magic immunity (and since Psianimate Dead is PR: No, it still works just fine). Flesh golem is another one that's decent, since you can heal it with electricity.

But really, who expects undead golems? Likewise, who would expect an undead animated object? Zombie marionettes would be rather apoplexy-inducing, I think. They're already creepy, after all. Plus, this is a good way to get animated objects under your control permanently, and nobody will think to use positive energy to destroy them.

gurgleflep
2013-07-29, 01:25 PM
As I said, the power is in Hyperconscious. It was published by a 3rd party company, but it was written by Bruce Cordell, who also wrote the XPH and all the good parts of CPsi, if that tells you anything about its quality. There are a few minor snafus in there (a couple of them major -- and not really anything exploitive, that I've found), but it's quite a good book regardless.

As far as anything extra fearsome? Clay golems are pretty good with their Cursed Wounds ability, but any golem works alright, since they keep their magic immunity (and since Psianimate Dead is PR: No, it still works just fine). Flesh golem is another one that's decent, since you can heal it with electricity.

But really, who expects undead golems? Likewise, who would expect an undead animated object? Zombie marionettes would be rather apoplexy-inducing, I think. They're already creepy, after all. Plus, this is a good way to get animated objects under your control permanently, and nobody will think to use positive energy to destroy them.

Ah, okay. I misunderstood Hyperconscious somehow and was thinking it was a monster :smallredface: I was running on very little sleep at the time, so you'll have to forgive me on that one.
Many thanks for the help :smallbiggrin: My players will absolutely despise me love me for this!

123456789blaaa
2013-07-29, 01:57 PM
Isn't there a god that can slap the grave-touched ghoul template on anything he feels like? You can have a grave touched ghoul gazebo if you wanted.

Yup, it's Doresain the King of Ghouls. He gets that power in the Libris Mortis sourcebook.

ShurikVch
2013-07-29, 02:15 PM
Grim Psion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030628b) is undead from the 1st level.

How about "not really construct, but close enough"?
Say, Hellforged devils from Dragon #306.
Or character on later transformation stages of class such as Renegade Mastermaker or GSA?
Creature with Half-Golem template (without changing type) or Half-Machine template (DU91 p106).
Creatures with grafts: maug grafts from Fiend Folio, warforged grafts from Faiths of Eberron... Weapongraft can look pretty construct-y, if chosen good. Maybe something from D20 Modern?..
How about Earth Necromental? http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84762.jpg
Variant: infact ex-undead corpse animated with Animate Object spell. Not really undead, but looks like one.

Grave Dirt Golem http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84756.jpg
Gloom Golem http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82998.jpg
Cadaver Collector http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82972.jpg
Not undead at all, but will be detect as one, if real undeads will be impaled on it's spikes

Edit: Also, some spells can make creature looks more construct-like. Iron Body, Stone Body, Metal Skin, Mineralize Warrior, Stone Skin, and Investiture of the Hellfire Engine

Edit 2: Also, if you wish, you can make "combo" creature via Symbiotic or Tauric templates with construct as one of base creatures and turn into undead resulting aberration or monstrous humanoid.

mregecko
2013-07-29, 02:27 PM
I was actually thinking of this just last week... Was trying to come up with a build that could mix the types.

I came up with a gestalt that has Walker in the Wastes on one side, and Greenstar Adept on the other.

If we do something like Ur-Priest / WitW on one side, and Sublime Chord / Greenstar on the other, could be interesting.

I wasn't sure if the order of operations on the transformation mattered though... Does the base creature have to become a Dry Lich before it undergoes the Starmetal transformation? I think the inverse can't happen, bc the wording on WitW says:

"you must undergo the Sere Rite, overseen by another dry lich, which includes preserving your flesh, removing your organs and storing them in special canopic jars"

I'd argue that a greenstar construct doesn't have flesh / organs, so couldn't undergo the rite.

Also, admittedly a weak build. But just was an interesting thought.

-- Mr

gurgleflep
2013-07-30, 12:20 AM
Grim Psion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030628b) is undead from the 1st level.

How about "not really construct, but close enough"?
Say, Hellforged devils from Dragon #306.
Or character on later transformation stages of class such as Renegade Mastermaker or GSA?
Creature with Half-Golem template (without changing type) or Half-Machine template (DU91 p106).
Creatures with grafts: maug grafts from Fiend Folio, warforged grafts from Faiths of Eberron... Weapongraft can look pretty construct-y, if chosen good. Maybe something from D20 Modern?..
How about Earth Necromental? http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84762.jpg
Variant: infact ex-undead corpse animated with Animate Object spell. Not really undead, but looks like one.

Grave Dirt Golem http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84756.jpg
Gloom Golem http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82998.jpg
Cadaver Collector http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82972.jpg
Not undead at all, but will be detect as one, if real undeads will be impaled on it's spikes

Edit: Also, some spells can make creature looks more construct-like. Iron Body, Stone Body, Metal Skin, Mineralize Warrior, Stone Skin, and Investiture of the Hellfire Engine

Edit 2: Also, if you wish, you can make "combo" creature via Symbiotic or Tauric templates with construct as one of base creatures and turn into undead resulting aberration or monstrous humanoid.

~Thank you for linking to the grim psion, I don't normally see psionics going hand-in-hand with undead so that's pretty darn awesome.
~Sadly, I don't have any Dungeon or Dragon magazines or access to them - the hobby shop in town may, but the owner's a stickler when it comes to people looking through stuff like that. Hellforged and half-machine sound pretty interesting though so I'll be headed up there today to check.
~Ooh, grafts :smallbiggrin: I've not had a reason to use any yet so that's a darn good suggestion, thank you.
~Mother of pearl! Those golems look wicked >_> I've not heard of the gloom golem, so where can I find it? The rest I know.

I was actually thinking of this just last week... Was trying to come up with a build that could mix the types.

I came up with a gestalt that has Walker in the Wastes on one side, and Greenstar Adept on the other.

If we do something like Ur-Priest / WitW on one side, and Sublime Chord / Greenstar on the other, could be interesting.

I wasn't sure if the order of operations on the transformation mattered though... Does the base creature have to become a Dry Lich before it undergoes the Starmetal transformation? I think the inverse can't happen, bc the wording on WitW says:

"you must undergo the Sere Rite, overseen by another dry lich, which includes preserving your flesh, removing your organs and storing them in special canopic jars"

I'd argue that a greenstar construct doesn't have flesh / organs, so couldn't undergo the rite.

Also, admittedly a weak build. But just was an interesting thought.

-- Mr

What was the thought process behind this build? I don't know pretty much anything about those classes or PrCs. Weak or not, it sounds like it would be a rather fun play and I'm all for fun.
Before I forget: I like your name.

drack
2013-07-30, 07:40 AM
Don't forget dragonflesh golem (MMII)

Also something to keep in mind from a mechanics perspective. Creatures can only ever have one type. Therefore if you animate a construct it looses the "construct" type and gains the "undead" type. Only way to have both is to use the "living construct" subtype instead of the construct type.

gurgleflep
2013-07-30, 10:02 AM
Don't forget dragonflesh golem (MMII)

Also something to keep in mind from a mechanics perspective. Creatures can only ever have one type. Therefore if you animate a construct it looses the "construct" type and gains the "undead" type. Only way to have both is to use the "living construct" subtype instead of the construct type.

I like the dragonflesh golem, it's one of my favorites just due to it's picture.

So something like a zombie warforged would work mechanically. Wouldn't it become an "unliving construct" though? *badum tss* That was bad...

drack
2013-07-30, 10:05 AM
Dunno if zombie would apply to it, technically you can apply undead template to constructs when the templates allow it as stated above by other people, they just stop being constructs. Warforgdd you maintain at least a construct subtype. (Had a player doing this in an epic game I ran purely for badassery)

gurgleflep
2013-07-30, 10:13 AM
Dunno if zombie would apply to it, technically you can apply undead template to constructs when the templates allow it as stated above by other people, they just stop being constructs. Warforgdd you maintain at least a construct subtype. (Had a player doing this in an epic game I ran purely for badassery)

Wow, quick reply.
I don't think zombie would apply to it, it was just the first undead template to come to mind so I used it. I'm curious as to how the player managed that - if it's all possible, could you explain it to me please?

drack
2013-07-30, 10:19 AM
See the first six posts here for details on the game: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288318 that's a newer thread, so it doesn't have much banter like the others.
Anywho they wanted to be a half-golem undead who was both machine and undead. Since they're both types and can't stack they ended up settling for being a warforged turned undead (with golem parts) where they could keep the living construct subtype and undead type. (since a creature can have any number of subtypes, but only one type). Well they're still finishing up their stuff so I'm not sure which undead type they ended up choosing, but I'm sure I'll find out in coming months. That's the beauty to long term games, there's less rush.

mregecko
2013-07-30, 02:14 PM
What was the thought process behind this build? I don't know pretty much anything about those classes or PrCs. Weak or not, it sounds like it would be a rather fun play and I'm all for fun.
Before I forget: I like your name.

I was trying to think of ways to alter creature types that happen without any template application rules. There are a number of prestige classes that, as part of the capstone, change the PC into something else (aberration, construct, undead, etc).

Walker in the Waste is one of my favorites, it changes you into a Dry Lich (like a lich, but better, and gets +CHA to hit points).

Greenstar Adept is honestly a pretty awful prestige class, but it DOES change you to a construct made out of Starmetal. Which is pretty cool.

I -think- you would still keep all of your abilities from the Dry Lich template (that aren't directly related to being undead), so you would get +CHA to HP, which is super valuable for both undead and constructs.

I honestly have no idea if this works technically with the rules. But I can't find any fault with it, and think it's a cool idea.

BTW, both prestige classes are available for viewing at http://dndtools.eu/

-- Mr

PS: Thanks for the name compliment :-P

drack
2013-07-30, 04:16 PM
Dry lich class is nifty for when you want the template, but want it to take twice as long and get HD. If you want it to take five times as long with less phylacteries, no +cha to HD, but with touch attacks and bonus class features there's dread nec. Simpler yet polymorph. =/

ShurikVch
2013-07-30, 04:52 PM
Some constructs can be mistaken for undead:
Dragonbone Golem
Verran’s Flesh Golems (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mm/mm20010511a) are medium-sized, so can be mistaken for zombies
Dread Guard http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_35.jpg
Can be mistaken for Death Knight or Swordwraith
Grisgol (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040905a&page=4) http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83006.jpg
Looks like mummy
Necrophidius (seriosly, it's construct!) http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50140.jpg
Web Golem http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83003.jpg
Make it into hivenest of spiders and let PCs mistake it for Web Mummy :smallwink:
Crawling Claws http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mof_gallery/MonFaePG30.jpg
After the film Evil Dead 2 mistake is common. Especially if you add real undead to the bunch - say, arm-zombie or arm-wight
Flesh Colossus http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery5a/44174_C5_FleshColossus.jpg
Stench along must say something very big and very dead :smallwink:
Tombstone Golem - variant of Stone Golem, but with Slay living instead Slow. Relevant Art (not from LM): http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Leviathans/Mors/Undead/119992.jpg
Bone Golem (stats from Denizens of Darkness or Neverwinter Nights)
Blood Golem (from Diablo II D20)

Forge Spurned (undead from Crown of the Kobold King) can be mistaken for Chain Golem: http://paizo.com/image/product/secondary/Modules/8-Forge_Spurned.jpg http://paizo.com/image/product/secondary/Modules/2-FoundryOfSouls.jpg

gurgleflep
2013-07-30, 06:13 PM
Some constructs can be mistaken for undead:
Dragonbone Golem
Verran’s Flesh Golems (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mm/mm20010511a) are medium-sized, so can be mistaken for zombies
Dread Guard http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_35.jpg
Can be mistaken for Death Knight or Swordwraith
Grisgol (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040905a&page=4) http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83006.jpg
Looks like mummy
Necrophidius (seriosly, it's construct!) http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50140.jpg
Web Golem http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83003.jpg
Make it into hivenest of spiders and let PCs mistake it for Web Mummy :smallwink:
Crawling Claws http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mof_gallery/MonFaePG30.jpg
After the film Evil Dead 2 mistake is common. Especially if you add real undead to the bunch - say, arm-zombie or arm-wight
Flesh Colossus http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery5a/44174_C5_FleshColossus.jpg
Stench along must say something very big and very dead :smallwink:
Tombstone Golem - variant of Stone Golem, but with Slay living instead Slow. Relevant Art (not from LM): http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Leviathans/Mors/Undead/119992.jpg
Bone Golem (stats from Denizens of Darkness or Neverwinter Nights)
Blood Golem (from Diablo II D20)

Forge Spurned (undead from Crown of the Kobold King) can be mistaken for Chain Golem: http://paizo.com/image/product/secondary/Modules/8-Forge_Spurned.jpg http://paizo.com/image/product/secondary/Modules/2-FoundryOfSouls.jpg

Unholy mother of Eilistraee, these are awesome! I'm definitely use a good handfull of these - and I have massive hands, so this means ALL of them!
Many thanks to you and everybody else who has helped me thus far! :smallbiggrin:

nickia
2013-08-21, 08:17 PM
"The Woeforged
The necromancers of Karrnath have made a horrific
discovery deep in the gray mist. A band of warforged
once assumed to be part of the Lord of Blades’ cult are in
fact nothing of the kind. Just as the warforged are “sort
of” alive, they can apparently become “sort of” undead.
These “woeforged,” as the necromancers have come to
call them, are rusted and broken, just as normal undead
are often decayed, and they show the same affinity for
negative energy as other undead. Where they come from,
who created them, and what they can do remain unclear.
The Karrns seek to learn more about them before deciding
whether to share the discovery with others. The area
marked on the map could indicate the full extent of woeforged
territory, or perhaps simply the only place they’ve
been discovered so far." (Forge of War, pg. 85)

no stats are given, but I feel like a rust or acid effect would a work well as a replacement for any of the natural touch attacks an undead, such as wights. Of all the different undead templates you could apply to a warforged, zombie, wight, ghoul, and ghast seem to be the most functionally explainable without big questions about souls or such.