PDA

View Full Version : Summoner PrCs

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 01:07 PM
I found the Bonded Summoner in Miniatures handbook, and it looks pretty good. Become Immune to your element of choice at 10th lvl and you get a permanent Elder Elemental hanging around. Now thats sounds pretty awesome, except its a half casting progression. So that hurts. So i am wondering if there are other Elemental Summoner classes out there that are any good.

PS im gonna be a Sorcerer

Psyren
2013-07-27, 01:38 PM
Master of Shadow in ToM gives you a scaling Shadow Elemental minion. There aren't too many others that focus on summoning elementals specifically.

Druids can spontaneously summon elementals via SNA.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 01:45 PM
Shadow Elementals are cool, but i was thinking about going with Fire Elementals, because fire is cool lol

and i was aware of SNA, but is there an arcane way to summon elementals?

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-27, 01:53 PM
The Malconvoker (CS) gets good at summoning evil outsiders.
If you want to stick with the elemental theme druid is probably a better option.

Shifter druids can summon as a standard action at 12th level in exchange for their AC (RoE substitution level).
They also get access to the Moonspeaker PrC that grants augment summoning and extended summons for free,
adds Energy Immunity to an element of your choice, adds a few creatures to your SNA lists
and gives you access to the planar ally spells and gate.

If you're set on Sorcerer Hathran (PGtF) adds Planar Ally to your spell list so you can qualify for Thaumaturgist.
Thaumaturgist gets a planar cohort at level 5 and some other calling and summoning related benefits.

Leadership can get you a fire elemental cohort if your dm agrees.
Otherwise, Sorcerers can only summon Elemental Monoliths afaik.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 02:16 PM
Now Hathran may have worked, except that this is my character: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294374 so i cant qualify, and the Thaumaturgist is pretty good, but im not a huge fan of having to pay for my summoned help. In all im a little dismayed by the fact that there are so few Summoner classes, so i guess ill just stay with Bonded Summoner and take Practiced Spellcaster to offset the CL issue.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-27, 02:19 PM
Your problem is that you have quite specific requirements.
How many arcane, elemental themed, elemental cohort granting summoning focused PrCs does a game really need? :smalltongue:

You could always use Planar Binding to get a fire elemental to serve you as a cohort.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-27, 02:22 PM
I once had an interesting concept about a build involving both Bonded Summoner and Elemental Scion of Zilargo (Magic of Eberron). The synergy isn't perfect, but it would have lots of elemental-themed coolness. Unfortunately, Elemental Scion doesn't actually improve caster levels, although it has a pretty unusual mechanic for improving the caster level of spells with the energy descriptors.

Worth taking a look at, anyway. Elemental grafts are probably some win flavor for this character, too (assuming the DM allows them in the setting).

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 02:24 PM
Well thats a valid point lol Honestly i only needed the Arcane Elemental themed part, the cohort was icing on the cake. Im just sad about the lack of Elemental Summoning for Arcane Casters, i mean i see a Sorcerer summoning a Fire Elemental over a Druid IMHO, idk that just me tho. Honestly my DM would probably let me research Planar Ally as an Arcane spell, we're pretty relaxed on that.

Edit: Ok i looked up Planar Binding and now im a tad confused. If i lay down a Magic Circle Against Evil i can bind a nongood outsider to it, so an Elemental counts, but i have to cast the spell within one round of finishing the Circle, however Planar Binding takes 10 minutes to cast so how the hell do you actually use it?

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-07-27, 03:56 PM
I could have sworn that the Summon Monster table included elementals. So you wouldn't have to be a druid to do this. I don't know of any good PrCs, though.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 04:02 PM
I just looked it up, all thats on there is Fiendish or Celestial creatures, why thats on an arcane caster i dont know.

rot42
2013-07-27, 04:58 PM
I just looked it up, all thats on there is Fiendish or Celestial creatures, why thats on an arcane caster i dont know.

Are you looking at an accurate list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterIII.htm)? Summon Monster gets them a spell level later than Summon Nature's Ally, but elementals are available.

gorfnab
2013-07-27, 05:24 PM
Elemental Savant prestige class (CArc) turns you into an elemental.
Summon Elemental reserve feat (CM) lets you summon an elemental without using a spell slot.
Improved Familiar feat nets you an elemental familiar.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 05:32 PM
Are you looking at an accurate list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterIII.htm)? Summon Monster gets them a spell level later than Summon Nature's Ally, but elementals are available.

Ya i see that now, wow did i derp there

Urpriest
2013-07-27, 05:34 PM
Edit: Ok i looked up Planar Binding and now im a tad confused. If i lay down a Magic Circle Against Evil i can bind a nongood outsider to it, so an Elemental counts, but i have to cast the spell within one round of finishing the Circle, however Planar Binding takes 10 minutes to cast so how the hell do you actually use it?

You use a Calling Diagram. Read the description of the Calling Subschool. The info is kind of spread out, but it's worth learning, if only because it's such an integral part of the fluff.

Anyway, the Summon Elemental reserve feat, as mentioned already, would be excellent for this character.