PDA

View Full Version : Drawing an Ally's Weapon [3.5]

Temotei
2013-07-27, 01:31 PM
As far as I can tell, there's no restriction when drawing a weapon on whose weapon you draw.

Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#draworSheatheaWeapon)'s the relevant section:

Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.

The use of "your weapon" in the first paragraph seems to imply that they assume you will be drawing your own weapons, but there doesn't seem to be a restriction on drawing an ally's weapon if you choose to do so.

At worst, this could be treated as the weapon being out of easy reach.

At best, you can move by all of your allies and draw each of their weapons while moving since it's a free action to draw a weapon while moving (after BAB +1).

Has anyone addressed this?

ericgrau
2013-07-27, 03:25 PM
Technically it doesn't specify, but you may notice that even drawing something from your backpack is more difficult. And taking potions as an example they're a full round action on a totally still unconscious ally. For an enemy you're disarming an object IMO.

I'd house rule it as the ally must ready an action to hold still (standard action) and then you can draw it as a move action that provokes, similar to getting an object out of storage. For an ally that won't slow down for you, treat it as the grabbing an object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grabbingItems) version of disarming. At a -4 penalty for using an empty hand. Your ally doesn't resist but I'd at least set some low DC to beat like 10 because he is moving about, or maybe the ally rolls and adds 0 to his roll (also averages to nearly 10). So basically make an unarmed melee attack roll at a -4 penalty and get a 10. Perhaps +4/-4 for a two handed or light weapon as a greatsword is harder than a dagger.