PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Lore Warden and DM troubles

Dragonus45
2013-07-27, 02:07 PM
So I'm playing a fighter in a Pathfinder game that has reached the higher levels, we just hit 14, and im starting to get some friction from my dm. He has honestly decided that Combat Maneuvers are over powered, for the record i am playing the lore warden archetype. Because i tripped a balor. How do i even deal with this train of thought. I really am at a loss.

Korahir
2013-07-27, 02:30 PM
Has anyone in your group succesfully casted a spell that had any sort of affliction on the balor? Why is it okay for them but not for you?

If your DM doesn't see the point to that than maybe show him what you do out of combat and what spellcasters provide.

Dragonus45
2013-07-27, 02:36 PM
Has anyone in your group succesfully casted a spell that had any sort of affliction on the balor? Why is it okay for them but not for you?

If your DM doesn't see the point to that than maybe show him what you do out of combat and what spellcasters provide.

Now he is throwing around the fact that the bonus it adds to my cmd make it to high, he is saying that it is unfair to the rest of the group that most things cant grapple me, or trip me or whatever.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-27, 02:41 PM
Ask him how many enemies are able to hit the rogue with those blasty spells, or the cleric with anything that requires a will saving throw, or the paladin with anything that requires a saving throw.

Dragonus45
2013-07-27, 02:58 PM
Ask him how many enemies are able to hit the rogue with those blasty spells, or the cleric with anything that requires a will saving throw, or the paladin with anything that requires a saving throw.

Well he also seems to hold it against me that my character is also a major damage dealer, and since i took some levels of paladin invested in a cloak of resistance +5 and took iron will im also hard to hit with a will save. My biggest problem is that he seems to overlook the fact that my ac is only 31, and the magus has one in the 40s. But thats not overpowered. Or that the magus has a conectration check in the 30s. But he says nothing about that.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-27, 03:04 PM
So I'm playing a fighter in a Pathfinder game that has reached the higher levels, we just hit 14, and im starting to get some friction from my dm. He has honestly decided that Combat Maneuvers are over powered, for the record i am playing the lore warden archetype. Because i tripped a balor. How do i even deal with this train of thought. I really am at a loss.

How did the balor not just stunlock you with Blasphemy? That's a CR+6 encounter for a reason.

Dragonus45
2013-07-27, 03:19 PM
How did the balor not just stunlock you with Blasphemy? That's a CR+6 encounter for a reason.

Well he ran it like he wanted us to win, it was a filler session while a player was out of town, and when i mentioned that i always wanted to stab a balrog he started getting ideas. If he ran that encounter like the balor wanted to win then we would not have stood a chance. But he sees it as me being op.

Spuddles
2013-07-27, 04:18 PM
Wait, so your DM purposefully underplayed a powerful gish 6 above your CR and is upset that you defeated it?

And he's upset that your abilities work?

Is anyone else upset that you can do damage and knock things over?

Your DM sounds like he should come to the Playground so we can tell him he's wrong.

Need_A_Life
2013-07-27, 05:54 PM
Combat maneuvers overpowered? I wonder what he thinks about Monks...

I'd suggest asking to re-train, since you're fairly high level and your character is clearly built to fill a particular role that he cannot fill without using what little battlefield control abilities he has (and trip is a lot worse than Forcecage for keeping someone where you want them).

One could, for example play around with the Enforcer feat and the Blade of Mercy trait to casually place a minor debuff with every strike that lasts comically long and use any of a dozen ways to escalate the fear effect until Balors run away from you after as much as a punch (I did a lvl 20 build for pure amusement, which ended up being a Wizard who could do a fear-based stun-lock on a Balor by punching him to death).

Hell, using Antagonize gives you the sort of battlefield control that some casters dream of (incidentally, an Eidolon with Antagonize is fun. With another animal companion in the party who also has that feat and it becomes hilarious).

Combat maneuvers aren't broken, though there's certainly ways to make them effective; a rogue whose first attack is a "Quick Greater Dirty Trick (Blind)" and then follows that up with Sneak Attack on every attack for the next few rounds is brutal.

If he asks you to create a character that does not use Combat Maneuvers period, I would suggest showing him how effective an Alchemist (Bramble Brewer, Grenadier) can be; entangle for everyone!

Slipperychicken
2013-07-27, 09:05 PM
Well he ran it like he wanted us to win, it was a filler session while a player was out of town, and when i mentioned that i always wanted to stab a balrog he started getting ideas. If he ran that encounter like the balor wanted to win then we would not have stood a chance. But he sees it as me being op.

He wanted you to win and fulfill your desire to defeat a Balor, going so far as underplaying the monster to let this happen. You won, and fulfilled your desire to defeat a Balor.

Have you defeated other encounters too easily?

navar100
2013-07-28, 01:25 AM
I'm curious as to what spells your party spellcasters are using as your DM complains you do too much damage. You're not doing 10d6 damage to everyone in a 40 ft diameter circle from over 500 ft away, are you? You're not making a roll to hit a range touch attack to deal 28d6 damage, are you? You're not able to do mind control, travel great distances in an instant, fly, bring forth monsters from beyond, are you?

Sounds like your DM is suffering from fighters don't deserve nice things syndrome.