PDA

View Full Version : Enhancement bonus or special ability for Magus weapons?

ewokalypse
2013-07-27, 03:48 PM
So I'm trying out a whip Kensai build (yeah, I know) and I'm thinking about magic weapons. Like, the basics thereof.

Specifically, given the resources for a mid-range enchanted weapon, which do you guys think is more optimal: an ability like collision [or whatever] (rationale: guaranteed damage boost and synergy with Kensai crit-boosting / confirmation bonuses) or a straight +2 or +3 enhancement bonus, which would essentially negate the penalty for spell combat?

I'm sure that people must have written on the marginal advantages of higher enhancement bonuses v. more special abilities, but my Googling didn't turn anything up; what are your thoughts?

(And feel free to tell me which idea is "better," then that both are terrible compared to a third / fourth / etc. option.)

Thanks!

CyberThread
2013-07-27, 07:57 PM
Ya know, I would look at instead sweeping which is a +4 str to your trip attempt and the REAL winner is disarming from arms and equipment(both are from this book).

If you are fighting bigger foes, it is a HUGE boost, basically it does this at the cost of +2 weapon bonus.

It eliminates size bonuses for your foe, and if a two handed item, it eliminates the bonus to that with it.

So say that you are Medium facing a Large foe holding a two handed sword, you eliminate the +4 large bonus and +4 two handed bonus affectingly giving them a -8 debuff without any saving roles -4 for each size larger.

While I am a fan of crit confirmation, if you can disarm your foe, all the better.

I also noticed this is Pathfinder, if you can use dnd stuff, I would suggest the lasher over kensai for a whip user.

ewokalypse
2013-07-27, 09:03 PM
Thanks, I'll take a strong look at those.

Yeah, I considered Lasher, but the siren song of Spellstike cheese proved too strong.

avr
2013-07-27, 09:22 PM
A PF Magus gets an arcane pool which they can use to give some bonuses to their weapon for a minute, as a swift action. I think the most efficient use of it is to add weapon properties as needed and appropriate, but to get a decent enhancement bonus as a permanent item.