PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Sensate, how to convince my dm

Anium
2013-07-27, 04:57 PM
So i'm starting a new game and i wanted to roll a cleric,my god is the god of history, old people, time and travel.
My DM is very banhammer happy, so he outright killed DMM and as we have a bunch of magic houserules some metamagics are ruled out too, but i can kinda negotiate with him. My job in the party is to keep them alive and buffed, as i dont want to be useless i'll need some skills to contribute to the party(appart from magic), Can't take any prc until 10, and dipping is forbidden so the build will be probably 11 cleric-9 ardent diletante.
Also we are using spell points UA variant, so we all count as spontaneus casters.
The party is made by: A crusader, a wizard, a scout, me and a bow ranger that comes sometimes. We are Mid-op due to the banhammer.

We start at level 6, i'm using a homebrewed human race.

Tribal human:
-+2 Con-2 int +2 Wis -2 Cha.
- Cant read or write
-+2 a survival.
-Training vs gnolls(+1 attack)
Weapon focus(and proficiency) on spear, short spear, short bow and javalin.

I can choose between two rosters :
17, 16, 16, 14, 13, 12.
or
18, 16, 15, 14, 12, 10.

Appart from the domains i have nothing clear, so i'll post my build idea but feel free to scratch that.

Cleric (UA variant)
Str 15
Dex 16
Con 16(14+2)
Int 10(12-2)
Wis 21(18+2+lvl 4)
Cha 8(10-2)
Domains Time, Travel, knowledge(traded for devotion)
skills unkwown (wich ones should i take?)

Feats
1 Extend spell
3 Touch of healing
6 Protection devotion.

Tactic now would be to use the shortbow, when i get to 4th level spells i'll use the spear to give some love from behind the crusader and use the protection devotion. Advice? What feats should i use from here on?

Mnemnosyne
2013-07-27, 05:24 PM
If you plan to get past 3rd level in Ardent Dilettante, you're going to want to pick up proficiency with all martial weapons somehow, because spending 4 feats on martial weapon proficiencies, plus one on an exotic weapon proficiency, is clearly unacceptable.

So your options basically boil down to one level of a class that grants weapon proficiencies or being an Outsider and thus gaining the weapon proficiencies from your type.

If you pick 'be an outsider' as your entry, then the best choice is almost certainly Neraphim. That satisfies your weapon proficiencies due to your outsider type granting weapon proficiency with all martial weapons, and it even covers the exotic weapon proficiency through the Neraphim's weapon familiarity with the annulat. So all it costs is not being human.

If you pick a class that grants weapon proficiencies, I'd say there are two good choices to do that.

One is to take a standard warblade dip, granting martial weapon proficiency as well as weapon aptitude, which will be nice to switch that EWP around as needed. You can also cherrypick the best maneuvers available to you. I'd suggest taking the dip at level 10, so you're Cleric 9/Warblade 1/Ardent Dilettante 10. It gives you an initiator level of 5, which allows for 3rd level maneuvers, so you can pick up Iron Heart Surge.

The other is to take a one-level dip in Master of Masks and pick the Gladiator mask. That gives you proficiency in all martial and exotic weapons. You also get one other mask - one good choice would be the High Priest Mask which gives you a +2 caster level for divine spells, this way you don't need Practiced Spellcaster since it makes up for the 2-level caster level loss from the dip and the dead level in Ardent Dilettante. The problem is that the mask only grants weapon proficiencies while it's being worn - this could be argued to not be sufficient to qualify you for Ardent Dilettante.

I personally like the Human Cleric 9/Warblade 1/Ardent Dilettante 10 build best. Take Able Learner as your bonus Human feat, and it'll let you buy cross-class skill ranks at a one-to-one basis. Note also that Ardent Dilettante also requires the ability to cast first-level arcane spells, which means you're going to need to pick up something like Southern Magician to convert some of your divine spells to arcane in order to qualify for that.

If you're absolutely not allowed to dip warblade or master of masks, your only option is to be a Neraphim (or other outsider, but Neraphim is best since there's no LA and you get that weapon familiarity), otherwise you need to spend five feat slots on weapon proficiencies in order to continue advancing in Ardent Dilettante.

Anium
2013-07-27, 05:31 PM
Ugh, forgot the first level arcane caster, screw the prc, so now i'm open for good 10 level prcs too. If i want to make it to a prc i need to take it at level 10 and do it completely, and the race is set(sadly he doesnt get the feat and extra skill points)
Also, have the standard 13000, Was thinking of taking a mithril breastplate +1, and a +2 wis item, something else i should take?