PDA

View Full Version : Creating 3.5e characters

171akup
2013-07-27, 05:54 PM
Hello! This is my first time posting and I need 4 very detailed character build ideas.
1. Warforged Artificer
2. Hand crossbow wielding rogue
3. Some class that can build constructs and uses them as the main weapon
4. A pirate that dual wields axes

I have seen many help people get on characters but I cant find anything on artificer so the book where they come from would be also good. Thx :smallbiggrin:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-27, 05:58 PM
First off, Artificer comes from the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Secondly, numbers 1 and 3 are likely going to be the same person.

171akup
2013-07-27, 06:02 PM
First off, Artificer comes from the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Secondly, numbers 1 and 3 are likely going to be the same person.

Well where can i get a copy of the Eberron Campaign setting.

and I want number 3 to not be an artificer. :smallbiggrin:

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 06:06 PM
Well aren't you just trying to challenge people lol If you want constructs as a weapon and not have it be an Artificer, any caster really works after that.

171akup
2013-07-27, 06:25 PM
Well aren't you just trying to challenge people lol If you want constructs as a weapon and not have it be an Artificer, any caster really works after that.

Like a wizard and how would i build it. :smallbiggrin:

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 06:32 PM
just get Craft Construct, and then just make the one you want, and take summon golem however thats a 9th lvl spell. Also being the Golem general is gonna be REALLY expensive.

171akup
2013-07-27, 06:34 PM
just get Craft Construct, and then just make the one you want, and take summon golem however thats a 9th lvl spell. Also being the Golem general is gonna be REALLY expensive.

ok thx also do you know anything on creating a dual wielding axe pirate

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 06:46 PM
well heres a basic build: Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Fighter 4/ Dervish ?/Dread Pirate?

Lion Totem gets you pounce, Fighter gets you more feats (Which youll need) Dervish makes you a whirling tornado of death, and Dread Pirate well thats obvious isnt it? However this isnt really optimized and im sure someone could give you a better one as this one is pretty feat intensive.

171akup
2013-07-27, 07:03 PM
well heres a basic build: Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Fighter 4/ Dervish ?/Dread Pirate?

Lion Totem gets you pounce, Fighter gets you more feats (Which youll need) Dervish makes you a whirling tornado of death, and Dread Pirate well thats obvious isnt it? However this isnt really optimized and im sure someone could give you a better one as this one is pretty feat intensive.

Well to specify I would need two weapon fighting with 2 axes and have great swim and i wanna try to stay with the dnd 3.5 phb and maybe the complete series and the dmg. :smallbiggrin:

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 07:11 PM
Complete Divine: Lion Totem Barbarian ACF
Complete Warrior: Dervish PrC
Complete Adventurer: Dread Pirate PrC

And the pirate can use whatever weapons he wants in this build, and all the classes have swim as a class skill.

171akup
2013-07-27, 08:02 PM

And the pirate can use whatever weapons he wants in this build, and all the classes have swim as a class skill.

Dervish is a little too dancy. And Dread pirate where am i gonna get a boat worth 10,000 gp. :smallbiggrin:

Virdish
2013-07-27, 08:09 PM
For the construct using guy, have you thought about using a psion (shaper)?

Astral Construct covers your construct needs and there are a couple other powers that have summons (none of them are as usefull as AC but still might be nice in a pinch) take it to fifth to nab personal construct acf (lose your 5th level bonus feat for the ability to call a premade construct as a swift action.) Prc out into constructor to boost your construct even more. Make sure that you take boost construct somewhere in there. Skin of the construct gets you the the abilities you put on your construct. You can then either go back into psion or hop into anarchic initiate or thrallherd (hey leadership is awesome on any build)

171akup
2013-07-27, 08:14 PM
For the construct using guy, have you thought about using a psion (shaper)?

Astral Construct covers your construct needs and there are a couple other powers that have summons (none of them are as usefull as AC but still might be nice in a pinch) take it to fifth to nab personal construct acf (lose your 5th level bonus feat for the ability to call a premade construct as a swift action.) Prc out into constructor to boost your construct even more. Make sure that you take boost construct somewhere in there. Skin of the construct gets you the the abilities you put on your construct. You can then either go back into psion or hop into anarchic initiate or thrallherd (hey leadership is awesome on any build)

That seems nice but I am not familiar with anything about psion and also i was thinking maybe a cleric would do good but I don't do good with building characters I have never done before. Also 2 and 4 are really important. :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2013-07-27, 08:16 PM

Spirit Lion Totem is from Complete Champion, actually.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-27, 08:26 PM
Dervish is a little too dancy. And Dread pirate where am i gonna get a boat worth 10,000 gp. :smallbiggrin:

It never says that you have to buy it.:smallwink:

171akup
2013-07-27, 08:28 PM
It never says that you have to buy it.:smallwink:

Well how would I aquire one in the first place. :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2013-07-27, 08:50 PM
Well how would I aquire one in the first place. :smallbiggrin:

Here's the thing: if the character is a pirate, they have a ship, by some means or another. If not...then how exactly were they going to be a pirate in the first place?

171akup
2013-07-27, 08:59 PM
Here's the thing: if the character is a pirate, they have a ship, by some means or another. If not...then how exactly were they going to be a pirate in the first place?

Well the backstory is that he/she was born on a ship and was also raised on a ship and wanted to be a pirate. I don't know exactly how to get a ship. Also I wanna probably start out with the phb then branch off if I can. :smallbiggrin:

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 09:06 PM
getting a ship is easy, go to the dock, find one you want, steal it. Havent you seen Pirates of the Carribean? :smallconfused:

UrPriest: Ironically i had just looked it up in CC and my brain decided to put CD, i always look in the wrong one for the ACFs lol

Urpriest
2013-07-27, 09:09 PM
Well the backstory is that he/she was born on a ship and was also raised on a ship and wanted to be a pirate. I don't know exactly how to get a ship. Also I wanna probably start out with the phb then branch off if I can. :smallbiggrin:

Well, if the character used to be a pirate, and they aren't going to be piloting a ship and doing piracy over the campaign, then all you need is a class with Profession(Sailor) at first level. After that, you just develop how you want the character to.

If you want to be a pirate later in the career, a ship that costs 10,000gp isn't all that crazy anyway. That's cheaper than a Belt of Strength +4, for example, so at higher levels you'll be able to afford it. If the whole party is running around on a ship, they can split the cost and get it at lower level. Finally, you're a pirate, presumably you can steal a ship.

171akup
2013-07-27, 09:09 PM
getting a ship is easy, go to the dock, find one you want, steal it. Havent you seen Pirates of the Carribean? :smallconfused:

Ok? say i do that what am i gonna say to the law men "No, officers this is my boat i'm just taking it back from these thieves."

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 09:12 PM
You forge a Bill of Sale, its surprisingly easy, its like a DC20 check. Also put different colored sails on it, paint on a new name, give the old girl some new paint on some stuff, change the captains cabin around, and boom. No way to prove that your ship was that guys ship

Edit: if you cant tell i've done this before

Urpriest
2013-07-27, 09:17 PM
Instead of the whole Pirates of the Carribean thing, just take the ships of enemies you defeat. Presumably if you actually are going to have a ship and be a pirate and it makes sense for the campaign, then you're fighting enemies who also have ships. Think of those ships as part of the treasure. When you defeat the necromancer captain and his skeleton crew, who would object to you taking his ship?

171akup
2013-07-27, 09:19 PM
You forge a Bill of Sale, its surprisingly easy, its like a DC20 check. Also put different colored sails on it, paint on a new name, give the old girl some new paint on some stuff, change the captains cabin around, and boom. No way to prove that your ship was that guys ship

Edit: if you cant tell i've done this before

But what if the law men catch me while I am trying to steal it. And I don't have any of that stuff. Also if I do that should I make it a rogue/fighter/dread pirate. :smallbiggrin:

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 09:20 PM
Urpriest do you have Good Advice as a class feature or something? I say steal you say "Go make a minor villain who owns a boat and make it part of his loot" i think your suggestion is better, unless the OPs players like stealing a boat.

But what if the law men catch me while I am trying to steal it. And I don't have any of that stuff. Also if I do that should I make it a rogue/fighter/dread pirate. :smallbiggrin:

I recommended Lion Totem because if your dual wielding your schtick is full attacks, well your first turn is used in getting to your enemy, well with pounce you can charge and full attack, and if you want a lvl of Rogue go for it, as i said my suggestion was a basic build.

Also if you got caught you didnt plan your heist very well. Honestly dock security sucks, im not saying "go steal that man-o-war over there" Im saying "go steal that older schooner" then you just need to sail out a few days to a cove you've already located, scuttle the ship, and do my above suggestions. Most ships of a similar size ten to be built the same, so after you make some minor alterations theres will be no way short of commune that anyone will know

OldTrees1
2013-07-27, 09:24 PM
For two weapon fighting there is always the Diopsid from Dragon Compendium. They are a LA+1 Beetle Humanoid that get Strength based Duel Wielding. Even get to dual wield two handed weapons.

http://dndtools.eu/races/dragon-compendium--109/diopsid--30/

Devas
2013-07-27, 09:30 PM
3. Some class that can build constructs and uses them as the main weapon

The Effigy Master PrC from Complete Arcane is all about this.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 09:32 PM
The Effigy Master PrC from Complete Arcane is all about this.

I feel like an idiot for forgetting this one

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-27, 09:44 PM

My friend used the Artisan feats and a massive number of nimblewrights to create a massive golem army in insane time. He ended up needing to use the run action to keep up with the demand for his exp (he was forced to touch each one to invest).

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 09:55 PM
My friend used the Artisan feats and a massive number of nimblewrights to create a massive golem army in insane time. He ended up needing to use the run action to keep up with the demand for his exp (he was forced to touch each one to invest).

my god a massive army of mindless automatons. was this your general?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUyoEi_Bg16TDh-_epLTE26a4maLXBGXAyGbdeR3zZMyEKYiBItA
lol

But seriously thats awesome

Grayson01
2013-07-27, 09:55 PM
If you don't want a high OP charcter for your Pirate you could use a Swashbuckler who dual weilds hand Axes. Swashbuckler X/Dirvish x/Dread Pirate x. You can always refluff the Dirvish as not dancing on the battle field but having trained to move with the rolling of a ship at sea. Having mastered the ability to move and go with the flow of the Sea underneath your feet in a way to give you an advantage. Now you are not a warrior who is dancing around the battle field, but a Axe weilding master of the High Seas!

Side note has anyone ever looked up the number of people it takes to man a 10,000 GP ship?

Blackhawk748
2013-07-27, 10:05 PM
30 for a Caravel and 60 for a Longship, this kinda makes Leadership a prereq.

Also i never really saw a Dervish as dancing, but more as spinning and twirling while fighting. Kinda like Starkiller in Force Unleashed 2