PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder to 3.5 Backwards Compatibility

Xuldarinar
2013-07-27, 09:38 PM
As the title says. Quite simply, I want advice on using PF in 3.5. It says quite clearly that one can use 3e and 3.5e in PF, but I haven't noticed anything addressing using PF in a 3.5 campaign. Obviously minor conversions would bee needed on some things, but.. Would you recommend using PF versions of classes or races in 3.5? Mix and match versions of spells? so on. Even go so far as to have a character such as: Archivist(3.5) 3/Wizard(3.5 or PF) 3/MT(PF) 10/MT(3.5) 4

This isn't planned for a specific campaign, just a point of curiosity.

Feralventas
2013-07-28, 01:30 AM
In most cases, I'd advise that you keep the PF HD (usually higher and appropriately so) save perhaps for the full 'casters (which got significant boosts in their abilities already so the d4, while still a weakness, is an understandable one).

Saves didn't change at all.

Skills, gain base amount (x + Int mod) times four at 1st level (so an Inquisitor gets (6+int mod) x4 at 1st level.

Skills that were absorbed into 1 (acrobatics=Balance,Jump,Tumble) are translated back to the split skills, but class-based bonuses to such skills apply to all of the 3.5 skills that it covers unless the ability states that it only functions for the purpose of one of those skill uses.

DC's are still functional on either version as it's usually 10+1/2HD+ability mod. You can have 3.5 bard's Bardic Music per day or PF's bardic music rounds per day. Same for Barbarians Rage times per day or Rounds per day, though I think the PF's version is a more manageable one (3.5's bard takes a hit in the inability to just sing all day off 1 use.)

Anything in particular you need to translate?

Druids, you'll need to decide between PF's wild shape or 3.5's: Same for Polymorph and the shape-shift spells as a whole as they're very different in form and function.

CIDE
2013-07-28, 02:55 AM
I will say the PF's wildshape is way weaker than the 3.5 Wildshape. Not that it REALLY hurts the druid any.

peacenlove
2013-07-28, 04:08 AM
Anything from pathfinder can be translated verbatim with 3.5 edition's glossary. PF didn't insert any new aspects in the game, only standarised some of the old ones.
CMB/CMD usually is categorized anyway.
I suggest keeping 3.5's raw rules/glossary and apply them to PF monsters and classes. If something doesn't make sense in 3.5 edition, use the PF ruling.

Psyren
2013-07-28, 10:47 AM
I recommend using PF's changes in a variety of areas, such as polymorph/wild shape, Diplomacy/Bluff, feat progression, and races.