PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Machina: GM Prerogative?

joca4christ
2013-07-27, 10:09 PM
TL;DR
Party is proposing a risky rescue after having depleted most of their daily resources. Would you:
A) Let it ride, what happens, happens
B) Reward them for audacity by replenishing them via Divine Intervention?

Here's the story:
Running a party through Shackled City, using PF rules. They've meandered into the Malachite hold and have rescued some slaves. They've been fighting hard, the last three or four battles and have run out of spells. The party fighter is bound and determined to rescue the children, caution be damned! A couple of other party members are down with continuing, but the casters are out of 1st level spells, the bard has two rounds of performance left (and two first levels left) and the oracle has three channel energies left. The veteran player is preaching caution and rest. The others are relative noobs. I love good storytelling so I love that they're willing to sacrifice to win the day.

Here's my question: Though none of them are beholden to him, they are in the service of the church of St. Cuthbert. I am tempted to allow divine intervention to come into play and have them miraculously rested if they do choose to continue so that they can rescue the kids and continue this compelling story. What are your thoughts? Is this too lame? Would you do it? Have done it? How did it work out? Thanks!

Gemini Lupus
2013-07-27, 10:16 PM
I say let them go forward, caution be damned. Resting would break verisimilitude and if the players want to go forward, let them. I'm of the opinion that adversity should be overcome and challenges should be challenging. It may be a game, but if there's never any danger and if the party is always at full strength, what's the point in having resources to begin with?

Anyways, them's my two coppers.

P.S. If things do get dicey, throw 'em a bone. :smallcool:

Agincourt
2013-07-27, 10:17 PM
I suggest something less heavy-handed. At this point in the story, they're still low level. They're beneath the notice of St. Cuthbert or his minions. And if you rescue them now, how can you justify failing to save them when they're higher level and still working at the behest of Jenya and St. Cuthbert?

Instead, I would have the Stormblades rescue them. Then they have a reason to sneer at the party later in the adventure path.

joca4christ
2013-07-27, 10:21 PM
The party is aware of the existence of Fario and Fellian as well.

My only thing about letting them die if they go without resources is that it dissuades them from making heroic attempts in the future. In game time, they've been going for a little less than an hour. From a living dungeon perspective, if they hole up, they'll be discovered. If they leave and go back to town, the fortress will be on heightened defense after guard duty shift changes.

Toy Killer
2013-07-27, 10:26 PM
What would OotS do?

The players are more the audience in this analogy then writers. They are fans with specific characters they connect to and cherish. They are given the opportunity to do something risky, very risky, for a great reward. These are the thing legends are made of. If you give them their resources back 'Magically' for lack of a better term, you're tarnishing the victory to be had for looking the danger in the eye, because suddenly, they have a life raft watching over them cautiously.

Introducing it through the game terms is great, but make sure it isn't cheesy. And make sure they pay for it first! Only allow the immediate rebuff when the Oracle uses her last Channeling (Fitting, with the Dues Ex Machina involved) or when a hero is dying. Plan out the scene loosely in your mind (Make notes of falling Angel Dust and a flash of dawn or such, what conditions you'll allow it to occur under) and make sure it's not expected to occur frequently (Perhaps hand the oracle a note for a message from St. Cuthbert, cryptic and short. "For diligence against all odds, with intent pure...") So they know they are being awarded for acting like heroes, not that your taking it easy on them.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-27, 10:29 PM
Since they are striving for just great justice, a small boon (consider like divine favor cast on the party, backed up by a CLW, tops [both from a 1st level cleric]). Big miracles need to wait until big levels. It is nice as a DM to reward a player for their acts of good roleplaying.

Fair warning: even that could be heavy handed; use this wisely.

Palanan
2013-07-27, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini Lupus
I say let them go forward, caution be damned. Resting would break verisimilitude and if the players want to go forward, let them. I'm of the opinion that adversity should be overcome and challenges should be challenging.

Agreed, completely and then some. If the players are willing to push past their normal threshold, by all means, let them--but I wouldn't coddle them, and I wouldn't lean too heavily on a touch of intervention from higher powers. "Miraculously rested" seems more than a little contrived, and if I were a player in this situation, I'd want to know that it's down to the wire, no safety net and no second chances.

Deophaun
2013-07-27, 10:30 PM
I love good storytelling so I love that they're willing to sacrifice to win the day.
If they're will to sacrifice themselves, then let them. Their new characters can hear about the brave group that risked everything to free a group of slaves and died valiantly. Now those were real heroes.

Agincourt
2013-07-27, 10:31 PM
If the party is aware of Fellian and Fario, then that is probably the way to go. It's explicit in the adventure that they are watching the PCs, and the Striders of Fharlanghn are friendly so that's what I would do.

If you don't think Fellian and Fario will provide enough muscle by themselves, perhaps give them some wands and/or bump them up to level 3 or 4. Their level progression is found in Appendix IV.

joca4christ
2013-07-27, 10:55 PM
Agincourt, definitely an option! Plus, changing them to PF would give Fario channel energy...think that's the main thing...healing.

Also have the option of capture over death...

Just really want to find a way to reward them for heroism. I actually grow a little tired of the old cliche...we fight for an hour, rest for eight, fight for an hour, rinse and repeat. Definitely acting like heroes in an epic tale, and I think that's awesome!

But I agree about heavy-handedness. Don't want to trivialize their decision. But don't want them to suffer unduly for it either.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-27, 11:08 PM
Is it bad I forgot capture was an option? Use that: when they get low the enemies switch to non-lethal (breaking out some saps perhaps) so they can interrogate the PCs. Rescue/escape comes later. This way their actions have narrative consequences, are not trivialized by deus ex, and do not get them killed.

joca4christ
2013-07-28, 01:26 PM
It's no secret that I'd like the party to push thru. They haven't quite made up their collective minds yet. The fighter wants to push on, in fact, he's vocalized that he'll press forward with or without help. The rogue and the bard are both willing to follow, albeit with reservations.

My question is: If I do introduce the two half elves, should I do so BEFORE the party decides to press on, as an incentive to do so, or AFTER they do, as a means of prolonging the day's adventuring. (Did I mention they are almost completely out of healing magic (and only four cmw potions, & 1 clw potion) at their disposal?

Palanan
2013-07-28, 01:35 PM
I don't know the two half-elves in question, but I would say let the party make the decision on their own, and then bring in the half-elves afterwards if it's warranted. Let the fighter hold to his word, and shame the others into following him.

:smalltongue: