PDA

View Full Version : NPC Character Help

Darth Stabber
2013-07-27, 10:47 PM
So I am working on an NPC for a game I am GMing. I know a couple of my players lurk here, so I will spoiler the content, and ask them to leave.

So the character is a Tinker Gnome Wizard and the only survivor of a spelljammer crash (he escaped on his zombie dragon, the escape pods failed to activate). The ship was a large ship with a network helm (a group of helms wired together to a large main helm, commonly used on large ships) and he was one of the helmsmen. As a tinker gnome his life's work is figuring out how to teleport an entire ship, and his current theory involves tying the ship together with eldritch tapestry and a big abjuration shield to treat the whole ship as one passenger in a teleport (hence the PRCs). I need to figure out some skills and feats, but the basic build follows.

Herbenofexicoranius
TN Tinker Gnome
conjurer(abrupt jaunt)5/war weaver5/iot7fv2
str8,con14,dex16,int23,wis6,cha10

Skills
concentration 15
spellcraft 15
know:arcana 15
know:planes 15
craft:weaving 8
profession:wildspace nanavigator15
????
Flaw - non-combatant
feats: skillfocus:spellcraft, spellfocus:abj, greater spellfocus:abj, extend spell, spellfocus:conj, ???

Any one have any ideas how to fill in?

avr
2013-07-27, 11:31 PM
For a feat, either an item crafting feat like Craft Wondrous or another metamagic feat makes sense. Enlarge or Widen spell might be necessary to cover a ship with some spells.

For skills, know:geography would be helpful to a teleporter who lands off target. Learned by experience if nothing else. If your implementation of Spelljammer for 3e requires any skill to fly a ship he might have a few ranks in it.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-28, 04:01 AM
For a feat, either an item crafting feat like Craft Wondrous or another metamagic feat makes sense. Enlarge or Widen spell might be necessary to cover a ship with some spells.

For skills, know:geography would be helpful to a teleporter who lands off target. Learned by experience if nothing else. If your implementation of Spelljammer for 3e requires any skill to fly a ship he might have a few ranks in it.

I was looking through spelljammer.org and I found no skill for piloting, but it does have one for navigation (profession:wildspace navigator) so I was using that. Enlarge annd widen are probably good pick, but actually accomplishing the goal is not really a build goal, it's mostly fluff, since tinker gnomes all have some sort of lifelong nigh unreachable tech/research goal (infact actually achieving the goal is not such a great thing in tinker gnome society, as you don't learn as much from success), and it ties in with the focus on conjuration. If I can get another player to take over as GM I am going to play one of my NPCs, and I just realized that there is currently only one NPC I am interested in commiting too, and I want to give whoever takes over options (but this isn't really a feature until this story arc is completed). I am fine committing some skills and feats to a weird background, I hope it will come up in the future, but I have my doubts (and I would not blame a newer GM from steering clear of spelljammer). So with the fact that I am throwing some skills and feats down a rathole, I am interested in optimizing the other parts a little more than normal to compensate.