PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Any way to make a Lingering Lingering evoker good?

123456789blaaa
2013-07-28, 12:12 AM
On a thread in the minmaxboards forum, a poster named Empirate came up with a very interesting idea:

Just noticed something about the Generation focused Evoker (found here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/coreClasses/wizard.html). Lingering Evocations keeps your evocation spells in place for 1/2 CL rounds, IF they already have a duration greater than instantaneous. How about combining this with the Lingering Spell metamagic?

All of a sudden, Evocation is all about battlefield control! A Lingering Lingering ( :smalltongue:) Fireball is 40' of burning death for the whole combat, as a 4th level spell - much, much better than Wall of Fire. Lingering Lingering Pyrotechnics is half a football field of blinding. Lingering Lingering Prismatic Spray is pure, unadulterated fun for the chaos-loving mage. Lingering Lingering Stormbolts fills the battlefield with an allied-friendly zone of lightning damage plus stunlock possibility. Lingering Lingering Caustic Eruption is sure death for anything not immune to acid. And so on.

Sadly it was pointed out that Empirate had missed a rule:

From the Lingering Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/lingering-spell-metamagic) metamagic: "Those already in the area suffer no additional harm, but other creatures or objects entering the area are subject to its effects."

Is there any way to keep this concept viable? It's just a really cool mechanical interaction.

TuggyNE
2013-07-28, 01:19 AM
Some sort of forced movement to make enemies leave and re-enter? I dunno.

avr
2013-07-28, 01:21 AM
It's a bit iffy, but if the Selective Spell metamagic could be used to exclude 5' squares, and if you use those squares to make enemies leave the area of the spell and re-enter it to cross the area, then the "creatures or objects entering the area" line might make this work occasionally. Even if it works this is occasionally nice rather than your bread and butter though.

123456789blaaa
2013-08-12, 09:29 PM
Some sort of forced movement to make enemies leave and re-enter? I dunno.

It's a bit iffy, but if the Selective Spell metamagic could be used to exclude 5' squares, and if you use those squares to make enemies leave the area of the spell and re-enter it to cross the area, then the "creatures or objects entering the area" line might make this work occasionally. Even if it works this is occasionally nice rather than your bread and butter though.

I don't think that works since the feat says:

but other creatures or objects entering the area are subject to its effects

So the people you originally blast with Lingering Spell enhanced spells would be immune even if they got out and went back in.

Although...the sentence is very vague. Does the sentence mean that if you cast the spell at a later date, the person would still be immune? That sounds a little ridiculous. I think you could make a case that the "no additional harm" bit is referring to Lingering Spells effect only. So that means that if a Lingering Lingering evoker cast a Lingering Lingering fireball at an enemy, the enemy would take the immediate damage but would be immune to the rest until the beginning of the evokers next turn (as per the feat). Then they would take the damage normally from the Lingering effect generated by the Generation focused evokers ability (since that's a different effect than the feat).

Did that make sense? I think I'm missing something here...