PDA

View Full Version : SW Saga - Custom Destiny: Atonement

Echobeats
2013-07-28, 07:20 AM
Hi folks,

I originally posted this in the SWSE thread, but it seems to have got buried, so I'm moving it to a new thread. Hope you don't mind.

I'm working on a custom destiny for a force-using character who wants to atone for his dark past (he used to be a Seyugi Dervish assassin). He wanted to have the Redemption destiny, but I felt that didn't work too well when you're supposed to be redeeming yourself (even though the book explicitly states that this is envisaged).

This is what I've come up with. I'd be very grateful to know if people think this is suitable (i.e. not a game-breaker or problematic in some other way) or if you have any suggestions for improvement. Thanks for your help.

Custom Destiny: Atonement

(NB: This destiny is only suitable for characters with a Dark Side score of around half the maximum or more when the Destiny takes effect.)

Your destiny is to atone for the evil acts in your past and bring yourself back to the light side. Whether you used to be a thief, a murderer or an agent of oppression, you are striving to put your former life behind you and make a fresh start. Anyone can change if they really want to – but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a struggle not to fall back on old habits.

This destiny can never be “fulfilled” in the ordinary sense of the word, as it is always possible to turn back towards the dark side. However, if you walk in the light for long enough, you gain the benefits of having “fulfilled” this destiny for as long as you manage to resist falling again.

To fulfil this destiny, you must spend an entire level with a Dark Side score of zero. For example, if you reduce your Dark Side score to zero partway through 9th level, you would fulfil the destiny on reaching 11th level without having gained any more Dark Side points. From when you first reduce your Dark Side score to zero until you fulfil the destiny, you are considered to be “on probation”. During this time, your GM may hold you to a higher standard, and give Dark Side points for less serious offences than usual.

Destiny Bonus: You gain a temporary Force Point which must be used by the end of the next combat encounter. If not used, it is lost.

An example of when you might gain this Destiny Bonus is by reducing your Dark Side score with a selfless act of dramatic heroism or noble sacrifice, e.g. suffering significant harm or loss, or taking a big risk of such, to help a vulnerable character; or showing extraordinary clemency to a defeated enemy. However, this bonus would not be awarded for spending a Force Point to reduce your dark side score.

Destiny Penalty: You lose a Force Point. If you have no Force Point to lose, you move one persistent step down the Condition Track until you either gain a level or gain the Destiny Bonus.

Gaining a Dark Side point always incurs this penalty.

Destiny Fulfilled: Choose one of the following benefits:-

1. Force Points
Gain three “reserve” Force Points. Unlike ordinary Force Points, these can be carried over between levels. These can be spent when you have no ordinary Force Points left.

2. Ability increases
Increase two of your ability scores by +1 each, or one score by +2.

3. Mix-and-match
As per 2 above, but reduce another ability score by -1. Alternatively, simply increase one score by +1. In addition, gain three (ordinary) Force Points.

Once you have fulfilled this destiny, you are no longer “on probation”.

Destiny Forfeited

If you gain a Dark Side point after fulfilling this destiny, you immediately lose all the fulfilment benefits, including any extra Force Powers, trained skills etc. acquired due to an ability score increase. If you gained “reserve” Force Points and have already used one or more of them, lose that number of ordinary Force Points instead of the already-used reserve Force Points. If you do not have enough Force Points to lose, instead apply the Destiny Penalty once for each Force Point owed.

To regain the fulfilment benefits, you must begin the atonement process anew. On fulfilling the destiny again, you may choose different benefits if you wish.

Alejandro
2013-07-28, 01:03 PM
This is probably not the answer you want, but I find that Destinies themselves are kind of game breaking. If only one PC has one, the other players don't like how that PC can gain awesome, permanent bonuses. If all the PCs have one, then all the PCs get extra powerful, and the Destiny stops being special. I just don't use them in my games. (I do use Destiny Points, which I award for awesome roleplaying or amazing luck/events.)

Echobeats
2013-07-28, 01:14 PM
This is probably not the answer you want, but I find that Destinies themselves are kind of game breaking. If only one PC has one, the other players don't like how that PC can gain awesome, permanent bonuses. If all the PCs have one, then all the PCs get extra powerful, and the Destiny stops being special. I just don't use them in my games. (I do use Destiny Points, which I award for awesome roleplaying or amazing luck/events.)

You're right, it's not the answer I want. :smallwink:

Thanks for the warning though: I'll be careful to keep things even between players. Fair enough that a slight stat boost doesn't feel special when everybody's got one, but at least while they work towards their Destinies there'll be some long-term story flavour.

BWR
2013-07-28, 05:14 PM
Is there really any problem with all the PCs having them?
How many of the original crew of SW had destinies? 3? Luke, Han and Lando are given as examples.
And if random A-wing pilot gets one for crashing his ship and dying, I don't see why all PCs in a group shouldn't be allowed to have them.

What you can do is either focus on one destiny at a time. You could have secret Destinies. I asked my players what they wanted. A couple chose their own. Two let me decide. They had fun trying to determine what sort of actions gave them bonuses and penalties.