PDA

View Full Version : Buying an iPad Keyboard

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-28, 09:24 AM
And need help on how to pick one. Since my laptop is starting to show its age, I am relying on my iPad a lot more lately to browse the Internet, listen to music and write stuff. Unfortunately, since I'm used to touch typing, the digital keyboard, both with its size and its lack of tactile feedback, makes typing long stretches of text rather difficult. As such, I'm shopping for a bluetooth keyboard to use with the iPad.

There are three things I am looking for in a keyboard. It should be small enough that I can carry it in my laptop case, it should be large enough that my hands can comfortably fit on it, and it should have a way of supporting the iPad at least while I'm not on a transport. I have found Logitech has a dedicated tablet keyboard that fills the first and third criteria, but it seems a bit smaller than I'm used to. Unfortunately, most other keyboards double as cases, and are both far too small and incompatible with the case I already have.

I welcome any keyboard suggestions, and thank you in advance.

maryjune206
2013-09-18, 07:10 PM
Hi,

I would suggest Touchfire. This is not too mainstream like the other ipad keyboard out there but definitely worth the purchase. I personally prefer its 3d feature where you can actually feel you're typing in a real keyboard.

You may check the product site here: http://www.touchfire.com/

Mando Knight
2013-09-18, 09:55 PM
Hi,

I would suggest Touchfire. This is not too mainstream like the other ipad keyboard out there but definitely worth the purchase. I personally prefer its 3d feature where you can actually feel you're typing in a real keyboard.

You may check the product site here: http://www.touchfire.com/

If the Logitech dedicated keyboard is too small, the Touchfire (which is really just a cleverly engineered cover to provide "keys" for the touchscreen board) won't solve anything.

Runestar
2013-09-20, 06:39 PM
I played around with a zaggfolio some time back, and eventually gave up on it.

For me, the problem with a keyboard+case solution is that it is quite cumbersome to remove the ipad when you just want the tablet. Imagine standing in a crowded bus or train, one hand holding onto the railing for support, while the other hand fumbling in vain to slide the ipad out of the cover. Or doing it with both hands, while swaying left and right.

It also added a fair amount of bulk and weight to the ipad, actually making it heavier than my macbook air. As such, my general advice would be to shun any such product.

You may want to consider the logitech ultrathin keyboard cover. It seems light and thin enough, and you can just take it apart easily (it's held together by magnets) and leave it in your bag. This also means no case for your ipad.

These keyboards will be a little more cramped compared to what you are normally used to, but nothing a little practice won't fix. :smallsmile: