PDA

View Full Version : How to treat PC characters playing monster races

MadBear
2013-07-28, 11:20 AM
So I'm about to start a campaign and my group wants to play some rather odd races (monkey race, bugbear, raven race, and orc). The campaign I'm running will be taking place in the Absalom.

My question is how would you play the NPC's so that it properly shows their reaction to such strange races, while still making it enjoyable for the characters? Would such races even be allowed in the city gates?

Cheiromancer
2013-07-28, 11:41 AM
Do they have perform ranks? Then all you need is one or two "regular" characters who can pretend they are some kind of wandering carnival or exotic troupe. Places might even charge admission to allow curious townsfolk to see the PC's.

(I don't know what the Absalom is, and so I have no idea how cosmopolitan a place it is.)

MadBear
2013-07-28, 12:23 PM
The place is about as cosmopolitan as you can get. I like the idea of people thinking their a circus act.

I'm less concerned about the raven and monkey guy then I am about the bugbear and orc tbh. With most of their race being evil, I'm wondering how I can justify not having the guards kick them out of the city or worse on sight.

Berenger
2013-07-28, 12:39 PM
Getting that filthy monster out of its bloodstained hide armor and into some decent clothes might help. So will a bath, a haircut and a skillpoint or two for local language and culture.

Cheiromancer
2013-07-28, 01:07 PM
Getting that filthy monster out of its bloodstained hide armor and into some decent clothes might help. So will a bath, a haircut and a skillpoint or two for local language and culture.

This. Advertise him as "Bertram Louis III, the Civilized Orc!" and give him a top hat and a monocle. Or dress him in a clown suit and name him "Chuckles the Laughing Orc!" Anything that subverts the standard expectation of an orc.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-07-28, 01:54 PM
The place is about as cosmopolitan as you can get. I like the idea of people thinking their a circus act.

I'm less concerned about the raven and monkey guy then I am about the bugbear and orc tbh. With most of their race being evil, I'm wondering how I can justify not having the guards kick them out of the city or worse on sight.

The merchants in town got tired of the guards chasing away potential customers. Having significant pull, they convinced the guard to merely carefully watch suspicious peoples, rather than keep them out entirely.