PDA

View Full Version : Factotum help

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-28, 03:48 PM
I'm thinking about building a Dark Necropolitan whispergnome Factotum. at First glance I'm not seeing any sor/wiz spells I could potentially use to heal myself.
The cleric, simply put, is building a really goody two-shoes who won't use negative energy unless he has to and I don't feel like making him have to unless there isn't really another choice.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-28, 04:08 PM
I'm thinking about building a Dark Necropolitan whispergnome Factotum. at First glance I'm not seeing any sor/wiz spells I could potentially use to heal myself.
The cleric, simply put, is building a really goody two-shoes who won't use negative energy unless he has to and I don't feel like making him have to unless there isn't really another choice.

Buy the cleric some wands of inflict. At higher levels harm is a good enough spell to use offensively, so the cleric should have 1-2 prepped anyway.

VariSami
2013-07-28, 04:24 PM
Find some Black Sand from somewhere, problem solved. You could even just pay for a level 5 Cleric to make some of it and have someone die from the temporary sand, turning into a more permanent version.

Gildedragon
2013-07-28, 04:43 PM
Any cold spell with "Lord of Uttercold"
negative energy ray (sorc/wiz 1, tome and blood) deals up to 5d6 of neg energy damage. As a level 1 spell you could buy wands of it, or a trap of it.
icefane corpse (dun mag 109): gives you healing via cold and a cold-type attack. Mix with any other source of cold damage and voila.

Hit factotum 5: ask if instead of channeling + energy, you could channel - energy with Op. Piety.

If flaws are available I'd recommend taking "slow healing". it's damn good on undead characters

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-28, 05:46 PM
Buy the cleric some wands of inflict. At higher levels harm is a good enough spell to use offensively, so the cleric should have 1-2 prepped anyway.

While that is an option, it falls under "using negative energy"

@Vari, I think that might be the best option so far

Darth Stabber
2013-07-28, 07:11 PM
While that is an option, it falls under "using negative energy"

Then UMD it yourself. Factotum's skill list is all, and UMD is a skill. The cleric can do it without rolling, but that seems like an issue. It's not like UMD isn't a great skill for other reasons.

Just as a warning: I can't say the for certain, but it seems like there is a risk of serious drama between your character and this cleric. I don't have the full scoop on your group, but this sounds like the beginning of several drama complaints I have heard over the years, so be watchful of that. Don't make it an issue yourself, but be watchful.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-28, 07:14 PM
Then UMD it yourself. Factotum's skill list is all, and UMD is a skill. The cleric can do it without rolling, but that seems like an issue. It's not like UMD isn't a great skill for other reasons.

Just as a warning: I can't say the for certain, but it seems like there is a risk of serious drama between your character and this cleric. I don't have the full scoop on your group, but this sounds like the beginning of several drama complaints I have heard over the years, so be watchful of that. Don't make it an issue yourself, but be watchful.

yes, UMD is an option. question comes down to cost, the blacksand is likely, by the end, cheaper.

ya...we are partly doing this for the RP potential.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-28, 08:04 PM
yes, UMD is an option. question comes down to cost, the blacksand is likely, by the end, cheaper.

ya...we are partly doing this for the RP potential.

If the cleric refuses to heal you it's gone from RP potential to drama. You can cut costs with a wand of inflict minor, but that's "cost cutting" not savings, since it only costss half as much and inflict minor will heal double per charge minimum. Lesser vigor is heals undead the same as living and is an option for your cleric. It is way better than CLW for out of combat healing, unfortunately he can't convert for it, which is sometimes an issue (do you know how many times I have told cleric players not to prep CXW, or druids not prep SNA).

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-28, 08:24 PM
If the cleric refuses to heal you it's gone from RP potential to drama.

He isn't refusing to heal me. He is refusing to use negative energy unless necessary.

... Lesser vigor is heals undead the same as living and is an option for your cleric. ...
Now that is a actually helpful (assuming you are correct, AFB so can't check you on that).