PDA

View Full Version : A video game with build-able magic spells?

Weiser_Cain
2013-07-28, 07:11 PM
Are there any games that have a magic system that lets you design spells? Like the Elder Scrolls games (Daggefall through Oblivion) or better?

Cogwheel
2013-07-28, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure if Magicka counts? Mentioning it anyway.

Mando Knight
2013-07-28, 08:57 PM
As in, the spell design system is equal to or better than the Elder Scrolls games, or "an RPG of at least the quality of the Elder Scrolls, with this extra spell-crafting mechanic?"

The latter would be ridiculously famous around here if it existed, I'd think.

Weiser_Cain
2013-07-28, 09:53 PM
The quality of a game is subjective, how it's magic system works is not.

warty goblin
2013-07-28, 11:23 PM
Two Worlds Two apparently has something like this. I've never played a magic-user, but apparently it's pretty in depth.

blueblade
2013-07-29, 05:01 AM
It's off beat a little, but would Freedom Force (1 & 2) count? You can call it magic if you like, but the character editor gives you incredible customisation for building powers. The catch is that the powers get attached to characters, and characters get a points cost associated with them.

Weiser_Cain
2013-07-29, 05:16 AM
... and nobody makes models/skins for them anymore. And if you try to find some it's probably at virus-town.ru.

Still it was a really cool game, and close enough to mention. Thanks.

SmartAlec
2013-07-29, 07:43 AM
Well... back in the day, there was Dungeon Master (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Master_(video_game)).

"It also introduced some novel control methods including the spell casting system, which involved learning sequences of runes which represented the form and function of a spell's effect. For example, a fireball spell was created by mixing the fire symbol with the wing symbol."

I admit it was more about discovering set combinations than really free-form design, but not bad for 1987.

Here's how it worked. (http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/195)

factotum
2013-07-29, 10:02 AM
Well, if we're talking ancient history, the game Legend (1992 or thereabouts) allowed a stupidly high amount of spell customisation--it was like Dungeon Master, only more so!

Cogwheel
2013-07-29, 10:13 AM
Treasure of the Rudras, too. Old, rather excellent SNES RPG. You make spells by choosing a name for the spell. The name determines the spell's effect, power, cost, targets, everything. Fascinating system, really.

Strongly recommend the game even besides that.