PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Druid/Ninja Multiclass

Dlkpi
2013-07-28, 07:17 PM
What would be the viability of multiclassing Druid/Ninja? I'm GMing a pathfinder campaign and one of the players is considering the combo, I wanted to know what advice I should give him. Is there any good way to do it?

Psyren
2013-07-28, 07:25 PM
A nature-focused Oracle might be better due to the Cha synergy. There are a couple of druidish Mysteries out there, such as Nature, Wood, Winter and Wind. (Nature will even get him an animal companion.)

Dlkpi
2013-07-28, 08:27 PM
He's mostly interested in druid for the versatility (wild shape, spells, melee, etc.) so I'm not sure if Oracle would work for him. Of course, he could also take a look at Druid/Monk for Wis synergy, but the campaign setting (bizarrely enough) makes a Druid/Ninja a very reasonable class combo as far as story goes, so I'd like to see if its possible for him to play it without feeling left behind in terms of power.

Psyren
2013-07-28, 08:43 PM
How about rogue? The Ki Pool (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/ki-pool-ex) and Ninja Trick (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/ninja-trick-ex) rogue talents will let him functionally be a ninja, but his "ninja" abilities will be based on Wis instead of Cha.

Elricaltovilla
2013-07-28, 10:21 PM
Rogues Ki pool never increases though.

If your friend used the druid levels to focus on wild shape and buffing you might be able to put together a pretty good natural attack focused sneak attacker.

Psyren
2013-07-28, 10:31 PM
Rogues Ki pool never increases though.

Well, it's tied to the Wis mod, which will increase as the Druid buffs it. There's also the Extra Ki feat if he truly needs more.

Eldonauran
2013-07-28, 10:32 PM
How about rogue? The Ki Pool (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/ki-pool-ex) and Ninja Trick (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/ninja-trick-ex) rogue talents will let him functionally be a ninja, but his "ninja" abilities will be based on Wis instead of Cha.

Ninja should work just fine, provided that they take the ninja trick(rogue talent:Ki Pool). That will allow the Ki pool and ninja powers to be keyed off of Wisdom.

Chained Birds
2013-07-28, 11:53 PM
Ninja should work just fine, provided that they take the ninja trick(rogue talent:Ki Pool). That will allow the Ki pool and ninja powers to be keyed off of Wisdom.

Actually, you add half your wisdom mod to the Charisma based Ninja Ki Pool, which is actually not half bad if you already have a decent charisma (Like a 14 or higher).

The rogue gains a number of ki points equal to her Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). These ki points replenish at the start of each day. If she already has a ki pool, or gains a ki pool later, she gains half her Wisdom bonus (minimum 1) as bonus ki points to her ki pool.

Psyren
2013-07-29, 12:03 AM
That requires a dip in Ninja and in Rogue though, which is redundant. Better to dip Monk instead, gaining two Wis to Ki twice, plus Wis to AC and other benefits.

The downside of course is that you would have to be LN.

Eldonauran
2013-07-29, 07:21 PM
Actually, you add half your wisdom mod to the Charisma based Ninja Ki Pool, which is actually not half bad if you already have a decent charisma (Like a 14 or higher).

... If the ninja possesses levels in another class that grants points to a ki pool, ninja levels stack with the levels of that class to determine the total number of ki points in the combined pool, but only one ability score modifier is added to the total. The choice of which score to use is made when the second class ability is gained, and once made, the choice is set. The ninja can now use ki points from this pool to power the abilities of every class she possesses that grants a ki pool.

I bolded the important part. When a Ninja with Ki Pool class ability, gains another class ability that grants a Ki Pool, they get to choose the ability score to run their Ki Pool on. Rogue Talent(Ki Pool) is a class ability, namely Ninja Trick. As far as I can see, this allows you to add 1 1/2 Wis mod to your Ki Pool (wisdom modifer from Ninja's Ki Pool descrition plus the 'bonus' ki points listed under the Ki Pool rogue talent description). This is how you dump CHA as a Ninja.

The Ninja can select Ki Pool as a rogue talent because no Ninja trick is named Ki Pool. Their (Ninja's) Ki Pool is a class ability.

That requires a dip in Ninja and in Rogue though, which is redundant. Better to dip Monk instead, gaining two Wis to Ki twice, plus Wis to AC and other benefits.

The downside of course is that you would have to be LN.
Hmm... "but only one ability score modifier is added to the total. That's interesting. I don't like it, as I tend to read the limitation to adding ability modifier once, but I can see how one can interprete the reading that way. I only allow the rogue's ki pool to stack because it is listed as a bonus to the Ki Pool.

Meh, get a leniant DM to let you take Ninja/Monk and ninja trick -> rogue talent -> ki pool to let you get 2 1/2 Wisdom Mod to your Ki Pool. Who cares about the lawful neutral alignment then?