PDA

View Full Version : Question about inappropriate topics in forum rules

Reltzik
2013-07-28, 07:44 PM
Regarding real-world politics and religion in posts:

I'm trying to figure out where these rules end and begin.

In particular, I'm starting up a PbP murder mystery set in the present-day world. I was planning to sprinkle in some religious belief among some of the NPCs, to give them a bit of verisimilitude and help explain some of their actions.

Because the players will be playing police in the present day, the world they'll live in will be affected by real-world politics such as the war on drugs. Also, I wanted to give it a little bit of a political element, with an ongoing legislative process providing both context and larger consequences. Though the legislative body in question would be fictional, the matters they're considering have been the subject of some debate in real-world politics. Nothing front-page, as far as I know. To be clear, the game isn't ABOUT politics, but would be somewhat affected by real-world politics.

I'm of the impression that none of this crosses the line, but wanted to make sure. I can modify the game to remove these elements with some effort.

Also, as the players will be playing law enforcement officers, they will certainly encounter illegal activities and illegal drugs. But I already asked about these topics a couple of years ago, and received the answer that it's okay so long as I don't get into fine details of how to, say, bypass alarms or cook meth, or talk about real activities, or so on.

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-28, 09:07 PM
Regarding real-world politics and religion in posts:

I'm trying to figure out where these rules end and begin.

In particular, I'm starting up a PbP murder mystery set in the present-day world. I was planning to sprinkle in some religious belief among some of the NPCs, to give them a bit of verisimilitude and help explain some of their actions.

Because the players will be playing police in the present day, the world they'll live in will be affected by real-world politics such as the war on drugs. Also, I wanted to give it a little bit of a political element, with an ongoing legislative process providing both context and larger consequences. Though the legislative body in question would be fictional, the matters they're considering have been the subject of some debate in real-world politics. Nothing front-page, as far as I know. To be clear, the game isn't ABOUT politics, but would be somewhat affected by real-world politics.

I'm of the impression that none of this crosses the line, but wanted to make sure. I can modify the game to remove these elements with some effort.

Also, as the players will be playing law enforcement officers, they will certainly encounter illegal activities and illegal drugs. But I already asked about these topics a couple of years ago, and received the answer that it's okay so long as I don't get into fine details of how to, say, bypass alarms or cook meth, or talk about real activities, or so on.

Sheriff: All that is fine. It's in-game and thus fiction. Just avoid discussions of real world politics and religion in the OOC, that's where the potential to violate the Forum Rules comes in, when people start discussing how the real world Catholic church or political party X works.