PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Rogue / Spymaster / ???

Toshiro
2013-07-28, 08:05 PM
Konnichiwa!!!

Right now, I'm doing an Urban Campaign with corrupt governments, criminal syndicates, and vigilantes. Stuff like that. For my character, I was thinking of a Spy-ish rogue and move into Spymaster. Her job in the group is to acquire information and be the public face for our company. Obtaining the intel can be from sneaking into politician's offices and stealing important documents or seducing the rich/royalty for vital information for upcoming events. I really want to make this character Skills > Combat and avoid unnecessary fights, but if she has to, I want her to be somewhat utility in encounters. I don't know what I should muticlass into besides Spymaster and what feats, abilities, etc to get. I looked into Master of Masks and Mountebank, but I want to know if there are other classes that put an emphasis on Charisma/Social and skills. I'm not used to making social characters.

So far:

Desert Half-Elf Female (For the racial bonuses.)
(Feat) Rogue / Spymaster 7 / Nightsong Infiltrator / Chameleon
Skills: Diplomacy, Gather Information, Bluff, Move Silently, Hide, Knowledges.
First Feats: Able Learner/Nymph's Kiss/Education
Future Feat: Skill Focus - Bluff (Prerequisite for Spymaster. -.-)
Flaws: Frail

Note: Please, no homebrews. >_>

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-28, 08:10 PM
What are your thoughts on:

-Psychic Rogue
-Factotum
-Swordsage

??

Toshiro
2013-07-28, 08:37 PM
What are your thoughts on:

-Psychic Rogue
-Factotum
-Swordsage

??

._. I totally forgot about Factotum. Thanks for that, but with the Psychic Rogue and Swordsage, I want to keep this character minimal combat abilities and more utility in battles. (I just realized, Marshals with their auras.) The Psychic Rogue sounds so cool with all the mind tricks so I'll take in consideration though. Swordsage is one of my favorite classes, but it doesn't fit the roll to this character.

Waker
2013-07-28, 08:51 PM
I'd actually suggest Changeling for the race, as the Rogue racial sub level is just too good to pass up as a social character. You might want to look at the Chameleon PrC to further augment your disguises, since actually being able to use magic or have proficiencies goes a long way to selling your cover. Cabinet Trickster is useful, for the shape changing and mind reading. Evangelist could be funny, if for no other reason than using your giant diplomacy to boost your allies. Assassin might be useful while disguised, as Death Attack specifically states that
does not detect the assassin or recognize the assassin as an enemy Though Death Attack is a rather lackluster ability. Nightsong Infiltrator could compliment your skills nicely, letting you case a location while undercover and then burglar your way into later. The same goes for Thief-Acrobat.

Toshiro
2013-07-28, 11:52 PM
Changeling Already thought of that, DM says no. ;~;

Chameleon Not a changeling nor human. I'm a sad panda right now. ;~;

Cabinet Trickster is useful, for the shape changing and mind reading. Evangelist could be funny, if for no other reason than using your giant diplomacy to boost your allies. Assassin might be useful while disguised... Nightsong Infiltrator could compliment your skills nicely, letting you case a location while undercover and then burglar your way into later. The same goes for Thief-Acrobat.

Cabinet Trickster - Not a changeling, sad face.
Evangelist - Oh my god. Uses religion to get information. Get myself the "Pope" title and bam, I'm do what I want. xD Make it more funny if I was a follower of Sune.
Assassin - I would love to use the Assassin PrC, but the goes against the idea of the character, get the intel with no casualties. Death Attack is really lackluster too, but I think Green Ronin fixed it in the Assassin's Handbook so it's actually viable.
Nightsong Infiltrator - The Complete Adventurer is my favorite book, why didn't I think about this sooner. I think I'm going to prestige into this after Rogue. Thanks!

P.S. Waker - Sorry for shutting you down with the first ideas, just because they require me to be a changeling. ;~;

Any ideas for feats, abilities, etc? I already got the PrC's I want in my mind.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-07-29, 12:50 AM
Man, no changeling cabinet trickster, that was going to be my suggestion, too..

I think you should do the "feat rogue" option from UA if possible, since sneak attack is basically restricted to combat use, while as bonus fighter feats are not necessarily tied to combat. And I just like feat rogue better.

Other feats to consider:

Darkstalker - if you plan to stealth at all, you need this
Mindsight - if you can get telepathy
Wanderer's Diplomacy - various new social skill uses
Imperious Command - if you do get in a fight, instead of fighting you can just cower lock people with your demoralizing stare
Education - Eberron feat, makes all knowledges class skills but has to be taken at 1st level.

There's some Half-Elf feats in Races of Destiny. Complementary Insight makes synergy bonuses +3 instead of +2, which can add up. Sociable Personality lets you reroll any Diplomacy and Gather Information checks and is pretty sweet.

Waker
2013-07-29, 12:52 AM
I'll choke back my tears in a manly fashion, but I'll soldier on. Half-Elf is a viable race for Chameleon, pg150 of Races of Destiny proposes a variant for Half Elves and Orcs to count as both Humans and Orcs. Otherwise you could take the Human Heritage feat to qualify.

Feats:
Sociable Personality- Useful to save your butt when you botch a diplomancy roll.
Urban Tracking-Find what/who using Gather Information.

Skill tricks:
Assume Quirk- Very useful to establish you are who you say you are.
Second Impression- The second must have skill trick.

Oh right, you might find the alternate use of Sense Motive in Complete Adventurer to size up the enemy.

Toshiro
2013-07-29, 02:27 AM
Man, no changeling cabinet trickster, that was going to be my suggestion, too..

Changeling Ninjas. ;~; My DM hates me abusing Changelings so he just prohibits me to use one for his campaign now.

I think you should do the "feat rogue" option from UA if possible, since sneak attack is basically restricted to combat use, while as bonus fighter feats are not necessarily tied to combat. And I just like feat rogue better.

I was actually going to do that, though, I forgot to add it to my details, thanks for reminding me.

Other feats to consider:

Darkstalker - if you plan to stealth at all, you need this
Mindsight - if you can get telepathy
Wanderer's Diplomacy - various new social skill uses
Imperious Command - if you do get in a fight, instead of fighting you can just cower lock people with your demoralizing stare
Education - Eberron feat, makes all knowledges class skills but has to be taken at 1st level.

Other feats to consider:

Darkstalker - This feat is a staple to any stealthy character. Got tremorsense? Yeah, well, still can't find me. XD
Mindsight - Situational feat, depending how the campaign goes.
Wanderer's Diplomacy - Yes? Yes? Yes? Where did this feat come from? o.o
Imperious Command - Ummm, Yes. :3 Origin of this feat?
Education - Definitely, I'm going to pick up the character flaw, "frail" for it.

There's some Half-Elf feats in Races of Destiny. Complementary Insight makes synergy bonuses +3 instead of +2, which can add up. Sociable Personality lets you reroll any Diplomacy and Gather Information checks and is pretty sweet.

I'll take a look into Races of Destiny to get more info on this matter. Thanks for the help!!

I'll choke back my tears in a manly fashion, but I'll soldier on. Half-Elf is a viable race for Chameleon, pg150 of Races of Destiny proposes a variant for Half Elves and Orcs to count as both Humans and Orcs. Otherwise you could take the Human Heritage feat to qualify.

My DM gave me access to Human bonus feat with Half-Elf so he should be okay with this

Feats:
Sociable Personality- Useful to save your butt when you botch a diplomancy roll.
Urban Tracking-Find what/who using Gather Information.

Sociable Personality/Urban Tracking - Yes pls. <3

Skill tricks:
Assume Quirk- Very useful to establish you are who you say you are.
Second Impression- The second must have skill trick.

Oh right, you might find the alternate use of Sense Motive in Complete Adventurer to size up the enemy.

Assume Quirk/Second Impression - Ill get the skills to acquire these tricks.

Yeah, it might be worth it to pick up Combat Intuition for the alt version of Sense Motive. Don't know, maybe if I have a free feat. (I shouldn't though.)

Thank you guise!! :3

Diovid
2013-07-29, 02:33 AM
You could use the Desert Half-Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfElves) instead of the normal Half-Elf for the small bonus to Sense Motive (any bonus to social skills helps right?).

There are a few rogue alternative class features which make it slightly more social. For example the acfs from Exemplars of Evil. The Uncanny Bravery acf (Dragon Magic) gives a bonus to fear effects. The Martial Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) variant gives you bonus feats.

Some classes to consider:

Marshal (Miniatures Handbook and online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b)), only for a 1 level dip
Mountebank (Complete Scoundrel), possibly only for a 1 level dip
Exemplar (Complete Adventurer), possibly only for a 1 level dip
Charlatan (Dragon Magazine #335)
Urban Ranger (this one (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), not the other one), possibly only for a 1 level dip

Other options:

Interaction skill tricks (Complete Scoundrel and Dragon Magazine #357)
Fade into violence feat (PHB II)
Master Manipulator feat (PHB II)
Wanderer's Diplomacy feat (PHB II)
Combat Panache feat (PHB II)
Sociable Personality feat (Races of Destiny)
Complementary Insight feat (Races of Destiny)
Rapscallion feat (Dragon Magazine #315)
Urban Tracking feat (Cityscape)

Waker
2013-07-29, 02:35 AM
Wanderer's Diplomacy is from Players Handbook 2. Imperious Command is from Drow of the Underdark.

Toshiro
2013-07-29, 02:44 AM
You could use the Desert Half-Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfElves) instead of the normal Half-Elf for the small bonus to Sense Motive (any bonus to social skills helps right?).

Actually, this race fits my character's background story. o.o Making the switch.

Martial Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) variant gives you bonus feats.

Already ahead of you, earlier posts. ^^

Marshal (Miniatures Handbook and online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b)), only for a 1 level dip
Mountebank (Complete Scoundrel), possibly only for a 1 level dip
Exemplar (Complete Adventurer), possibly only for a 1 level dip
Charlatan (Dragon Magazine #335)
Urban Ranger (this one (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), not the other one), possibly only for a 1 level dip

Other options:

Interaction skill tricks (Complete Scoundrel and Dragon Magazine #357)
Fade into violence feat (PHB II)
Master Manipulator feat (PHB II)
Wanderer's Diplomacy feat (PHB II)
Combat Panache feat (PHB II)
Sociable Personality feat (Races of Destiny)
Complementary Insight feat (Races of Destiny)
Rapscallion feat (Dragon Magazine #315)
Urban Tracking feat (Cityscape)

I already looked into those classes and none of them were really appealing. Sorry. :l But I will check the feats/tricks that aren't underlined. The ones that are already going to happen.

Wanderer's Diplomacy is from Players Handbook 2. Imperious Command is from Drow of the Underdark.

Thanks. :3