PDA

View Full Version : Boosting a Mirror Mephit's CL for (Sp) Simulacrum

tuesdayscoming
2013-07-28, 08:12 PM
Howdy, everyone!

I've been ruminating over a concept for a BBEG for a while now. One aspect of the character is that he uses a Mirror Mephit familiar, combined with optimized Inspire Greatness, to pump out near-full-power clones of himself, the party, or what have you.

The problem I can't seem to work my way around is raising the caster level of the Mirror Mephit to at least 17 (so that the mephit can pump out clones capable of casting level 9 spells). By default, Mirror Mephits have a CL of 8 for this ability, so I've a ways to go.

I am told that standard methods of pumping up CL will also work for spell-like abilities. First off, is this true? Assuming that it is, what methods would be relevant here? Clearly, the familiar is unable to take class levels, and so cannot pump his CL through class features.

So, again assuming that it is possible, what items/feats/etc. can I use to pump up my familiar's CL? Alternatively, what spells can I use through the familiar's Share Spells feature to pump up its CL?

Thanks for the tips, guys! Every little bit helps!

Galvin
2013-07-28, 10:25 PM
Does the BBEG have the ability to cast Simulacrum as a 17th level caster? If so, then you could take Spell Mastery (Simulacrum) and then take Familiar Spell (Simulacrum) that way the mephit could cast Simulacrum as a 17th level caster as many times as the BBEG prepared Simulacrum.

tuesdayscoming
2013-07-28, 10:40 PM
Does the BBEG have the ability to cast Simulacrum as a 17th level caster? If so, then you could take Spell Mastery (Simulacrum) and then take Familiar Spell (Simulacrum) that way the mephit could cast Simulacrum as a 17th level caster as many times as the BBEG prepared Simulacrum.

Damn...

You know, I don't think I've ever read that feat before. I'm AFB, but I looked it up on dndtools, and unfortunately I don't think it will work. That site has two sources for the spell, DMG and Underdark. The DMG version states that it works as if you had an additional spell slot. The Underdark version says that the familiar can use the spell as a (Sp) ability, but spells with an xp cost (such as Simulacrum) are incompatible with the feat.

I suppose I should have stated it in my OP, but the reasons that I had wanted to use a Mirror Mephit as the source are because (Sp) abilities 1) have no xp cost and 2) default to a standard action casting time. Alas, neither version of the Familiar Spell feat allows for these benefits.

Thank you so much for the suggestion, though!

Mnemnosyne
2013-07-29, 12:40 AM
Here's a list of ways to increase caster level (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level). Stack as many of these as you can and you should be able to manage a 9-level increase.

Darrin
2013-07-29, 08:38 AM
Use the Mirror Mephit to create a simulacrum of an Efreet. Have the Efreet use a wish to cast simulacrum (CL 12, up to 24 HD). Use that to grab a simulacrum of a Black Ethergaunt (CL 17 wizard casting).

Actually, if you can just get the Efreet, you can wish for a Skull Talisman (Frostburn) imbued with ice assassin.

Psyren
2013-07-29, 08:45 AM
Use the Mirror Mephit to create a simulacrum of an Efreet. Have the Efreet use a wish to cast simulacrum (CL 12, up to 24 HD). Use that to grab a simulacrum of a Black Ethergaunt (CL 17 wizard casting).

Actually, if you can just get the Efreet, you can wish for a Skull Talisman (Frostburn) imbued with ice assassin.

You're assuming here that a half-HD efreet can grant wishes. Since it flat-out tells the DM "scale its abilities down appropriately," that is not a given.

Alleran
2013-07-29, 09:37 AM
You're assuming here that a half-HD efreet can grant wishes. Since it flat-out tells the DM "scale its abilities down appropriately," that is not a given.
By RAW, doesn't the half-HD only scale down the abilities relevant to now having half the HD it normally has? Sure, you can infer that taking off the wishes is a reasonable course of action, but shouldn't it normally only affect things like HP, BAB, saves and the like?

Psyren
2013-07-29, 09:42 AM
By RAW, doesn't the half-HD only scale down the abilities relevant to now having half the HD it normally has? Sure, you can infer that taking off the wishes is a reasonable course of action, but shouldn't it normally only affect things like HP, BAB, saves and the like?

"Special abilities" are explicitly included in the things to be scaled. You could argue that an efreet can grant wishes no matter how weak it is - but you could just as easily argue that it cannot, and therefore a DM ruling is required to make the spell work.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-29, 11:00 AM
How do you plan to get around the fact that Simulacrum creates only half HD copies?

Boosting arcane CL is a lot harder than divine CL. Off the top of my head:
Ioun Stone +1, Create Magic Tattoo +1, Ring of Arcane Might +1, Robe of Arcane Might +1.
If you can UMD a Bead of Karma that's another +4. UMDing a scroll of consumptive field is another +4.

Waldham
2014-03-03, 05:15 AM
Is it possible for a mirror mephit to create a simulacrum of a advanced (10 HD) mephit mirror /Wizard 4 ?

So, the simulacrum has 7 HD.

If the the spell caster level for a simulacrum spell-like abilty from a mirror mephit is HD + 4.

Will the advanced mirror mephit/wizard 2 have a spell caster level of 11 th for simulacrum spell like ability ?