View Full Version : creating a D&D 3.5 character

171akup
2013-07-28, 11:21 PM
I was thinking of making a 3.5 character like the knight/general from fire emblem the sacred stones with a spear type weapon and a couple javelin and I only want to use the phb and I need help with the stats skills and the primary weapon and other detailed stuff. :smallbiggrin:

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-28, 11:23 PM
Are you sure you want to restrict yourself to the PHB only? You will be missing out on some goodies, especially the feat Brutal Throw (makes it so you use Str for both to hit and to damage on those javelins, instead of just to damage).

171akup
2013-07-28, 11:25 PM
Are you sure you want to restrict yourself to the PHB only? You will be missing out on some goodies, especially the feat Brutal Throw (makes it so you use Str for both to hit and to damage on those javelins, instead of just to damage).

Lol I guess I forgot that one so mainly on the phb. :smallbiggrin:

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-28, 11:33 PM
Brutal throw will help you a lot. Restricing to the PHB will give you a lot of weak feat choices (you will likely end up with Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, etc). At the very least consider Melee weapon mastery and Ranged Weapon Mastery. combined they would give you +2 hit/+2 damage and 40 foot range increment (up from 20).

I would recommend you focus just on spears, since javelins would make you need more feats and gives you an extra 10 feat on range increment; they even cost the same. Strength and Constitution are the only stats you will really need, although a Dex of 12 would be cool.

171akup
2013-07-28, 11:45 PM
Brutal throw will help you a lot. Restricing to the PHB will give you a lot of weak feat choices (you will likely end up with Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, etc). At the very least consider Melee weapon mastery and Ranged Weapon Mastery. combined they would give you +2 hit/+2 damage and 40 foot range increment (up from 20).

I would recommend you focus just on spears, since javelins would make you need more feats and gives you an extra 10 feat on range increment; they even cost the same. Strength and Constitution are the only stats you will really need, although a Dex of 12 would be cool.

Well javelin will be my secondary. And my stats will be 13 15 12 18 14 18. Where should I put them and what armor should I start with and also my skills, weapon specifics, feats, languages, other possessions, and race. I will probably be fighter. :smallbiggrin:

Eyclonus
2013-07-28, 11:56 PM
Put the 18s on Str and Con, 12 can go on Charisma, Fighters don't make good faces.

Nightraiderx
2013-07-30, 11:57 AM
Short Haft (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Short_Haft)

Stand Still (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Stand_Still)

Cool feats to say, stay away!

Gerrtt
2013-07-30, 01:56 PM
Maybe not the best choices ever, but if we're talking about throwing spears it might be worth pointing out Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, and Precise Shot.

Spears only have a listed range of 20 feet and each full range increment gives you a cumulative -2 penalty. I doubt you're going to be throwing spears past 20 feet anyways, but if you do want to, you'll likely want Far Shot.

Precise Shot really only comes in to play if you're throwing those spears at someone who is fighting someone else.

Only three feats and as a fighter you get plenty.

Nightraiderx
2013-07-30, 02:32 PM
Tormitor School (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Tormtor_School)

If you want to attack like a boss, taking point blank shot,rapid shot and quick draw and with the tormitor school your javelins are now melee weapons as well, and as a swift action you can toss that sucker, and so I say more attacks and range for the fighter.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-30, 02:32 PM
If you are going to be using thrown weapons I would recommend both Quick Draw (so you can get your iterative attacks when making a full attack) and Rapid Shot.

Edit: sworsaged! :smallredface: