PDA

View Full Version : What's this build's caster level?

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 01:24 AM
I've been trying to get a caster level as high as I can (while retaining the overall flavor and feel of the build) and I've rather lost track, because I don't want to cause infinite loops and I think I may have done that...twice.

The full build (using a variety of early entry shenanigans like Precocious Apprentice+Sanctum Spell for early 3rd level spells, or Bloodline Levels to increase max ranks) is Bard 3/Spellthief 1/Knight of the Weave 1/Windwright Captain 5/War Weaver 1/Sublime Chord 2/War Weaver +4/Spellguard of Silverymoon 4. So it's a 21st level character, though it also has three Bloodline levels. The order's a little jumbled, I think, but that's not the issue of the question.

With Knight of the Weave, Sublime Chord, and Master Spellthief, I've quite lost track of what the caster level for all my classes is. I'm using a less favorable but also less infinite-loopy reading of both Master Spellthief and Sublime Chord in that it adds together all levels of arcane spellcasting classes to sum to a Caster Level, instead of adding together all individual caster levels. I know that with the latter reading, if SC's CL was based off of KotW's CL, then KotW=1+Bard+SC, and SC=KotW+10, which infinite loops. What I think I've got here is (with the Bloodline Levels bumping them all up, remember), 10 effective Bard levels, 4 effective Spellthief levels, 4 effective KotW levels, and 13 effective SC levels. Knight of the Weave's CL adds them all together, giving me a KotW CL of 21. And then Sublime Chord bases itself off of KotW, giving me a SC CL of 34. And then Master Spellthief makes that 34 apply to all of them. Is that right?

Something I wasn't sure about was whether or not to add the non-caster-progression levels of Windwright Captain. I was thinking not, except that in the example for Master Spellthief it stacks the Spellthief levels entirely, so 4 Spellthief and 4 Wizard makes CL 8, even though adding the real CLs only gives 6. That's why I used the whole "Effective *class* Level" thing instead of the CL of each class, but it's also why I think I should be counting all the Windwright Captain levels as opposed to just the ones which progress spellcasting.

Can anyone straighten this out for me? Or, thinking another way, is this worth it or have I just made this far too complicated for myself, and should scrap the high CL idea entirely? I was trying to abuse the Bloodline Levels and early entry things to scrap two levels of Bard from my original build, and wanted to find the best replacements.

Fyermind
2013-07-29, 01:26 AM
You have no spellthief casting unless you reach spellthief 4. so that goes out the window... Not sure about other things. I really need sleep.

Edit: Sorry NettleKid. Clearly I need sleep more than I thought. It does look like master spellthief might work that way.

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 01:32 AM
You have no spellthief casting unless you reach spellthief 4. so that goes out the window... Not sure about other things. I really need sleep.

Why thank you for that thorough and helpful response.

I do know that Spellthieves don't get casting until level 4, but the way I'm reading the feat Master Spellthief, you don't need it. It says

Your spellthief and arcane spellcaster levels also stack when determining your caster level for all arcane spells.
So add your Spellthief levels to your Arcane Spellcaster levels to determine caster level. As I mentioned above, because the example given adds 4 Spellthief levels with 4 Wizard levels and gets a CL of 8, even though that character has a Spellthief CL of 2, I think it's solely Effective Spellthief Level which is added, and as such, the single one I have will do.