PDA

View Full Version : level 5 wizard, with arbitrarily high money [3,5]

Somensjev
2013-07-29, 02:37 AM
ok, i'm trying to make a wizard, coz i accidentally started a challenge with my DM, that i could make a level four or five character, that could defeat the rest of the party, withing ten rounds, using only the PHB and DMG

Restrictions: must be human, must be wizard, book restrictions, must be level 4 or 5, no multiclassing
Helpful stuff: any cheese is fine, anywhere between 10,000gp and 100,000gp

i was wondering what the playground might do for this character (i may or may not use some of the suggestions for my build)

eggynack
2013-07-29, 03:10 AM
What's the rest of the party? It might change things a bit. If all cheese is on the table, consider dust of sneezing and choking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#dustofSneezingandChoking). It's utterly ridiculous, but it'd be my starting point if I were to desire party destruction. Alternatively, you could just skip the part where this is a fair fight at all, and pull out a candle of invocation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#candleofInvocation). Most ultra-cheesy things begin with a candle of invocation.

Somensjev
2013-07-29, 03:43 AM
What's the rest of the party? It might change things a bit. If all cheese is on the table, consider dust of sneezing and choking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#dustofSneezingandChoking). It's utterly ridiculous, but it'd be my starting point if I were to desire party destruction. Alternatively, you could just skip the part where this is a fair fight at all, and pull out a candle of invocation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#candleofInvocation). Most ultra-cheesy things begin with a candle of invocation.

human saint cleric of pelor
halfling rogue
spectral half-elemental (cant remember base race or class)
winged-elf vampire fighter
all level 5/6

i'm not definate, but that sounds right

eggynack
2013-07-29, 03:51 AM
How does the vampire work? Those things have crazy LA. Anyways, my initial thoughts are that the group's odd LA thing could either be highly problematic, if your group is just arbitrarily ignoring LA, or somewhat helpful, if it's having the normal effect of making the cleric, who would otherwise be the biggest threat, two levels lower for spell purposes. Alternatively, it could be super helpful, if you can also have ridiculous and incorrectly used LA.

Somensjev
2013-07-29, 03:59 AM
How does the vampire work? Those things have crazy LA. Anyways, my initial thoughts are that the group's odd LA thing could either be highly problematic, if your group is just arbitrarily ignoring LA, or somewhat helpful, if it's having the normal effect of making the cleric, who would otherwise be the biggest threat, two levels lower for spell purposes. Alternatively, it could be super helpful, if you can also have ridiculous and incorrectly used LA.

they're ignoring LA and RHD

eggynack
2013-07-29, 04:08 AM
they're ignoring LA and RHD
Can you ridiculous your way into ridiculousness with that? It seems like you should be able to, and you probably should. I don't think this is doable without ridiculous cheese, or piles of templates. Seriously, ignoring LA to be a vampire is ridiculous, so you need counter-ridiculousness by that point. As I mentioned, that'd probably involve the dust of sneezing and choking, crazy candle of invocation gating shenanigans, or now piles and piles of LA until you can't even see your original form under all the templates.

Ravitiate
2013-07-29, 04:14 AM
Yeah, if you really want to win the cheesy way, you only need 8400 gp. Buy a Candle of Invocation and loop it to win.

Works like this:
1. Buy a Candle for 8.400 gold
2. Summon an Efreeti and make him grant you 3 wishes.
3. Use the first two wishes for cool stuff
4. use the last wish for another Candle.

Repeat.

You have to be a CL 5, which you've already chosen. Also, be smart when wishing so the Efreeti doesn't backstab you with the wishes.

Core FTW

Gemini476
2013-07-29, 04:18 AM
Since you are ignoring RHD and LA, can you play as a Solar Wizard 5 and get 17th level cleric casting (iirc)?

animewatcha
2013-07-29, 04:24 AM
He has to be human or atleast start out as human. So instead of gating in a solar himself. He uses candle of invocation for the 'gate-solar' spam. Or turn himself into Pun-pun.

Gemini476
2013-07-29, 04:31 AM
Pun-pun won't work, since the Sarrukh is essential in that.

Also, note that most of the crazy magic starts to kick in at 4th level spells. Hence E6 stopping with third.

animewatcha
2013-07-29, 04:47 AM
Scroll of shapechange. Heck, shapechange into a solar.

Also, I don't recall this 'zaniness' being restricted to e6.

Also, need to call out the saint cleric of pelor due to saint being exalted sterf and being versus vampire ( evil alignment ).

gooddragon1
2013-07-29, 05:00 AM
Actually chain gating: gate in efreeti to get more candles just cuz. Then chain gate titans, 1 chain gates in another which chain gates in another with double HD and keep doubling: 30, 60, 120, 240, 480. Then the one with 480 gates in a efreeti with 960 HD. That efreeti uses a wish spell to kill your party members. The save DCs on that should be pretty good. If any of them roll nat 20 just have it do it again. 2 or 3 times should do the trick.

EDIT: But really, depending on the circumstances if you had enough time (and your dm doesn't like chain gating)

Animate a skeleton and put a lot of explosive runes on stamps and use adhesive of some kind to make them stick to the skeleton. Cast invisibility and fly on the skeleton. Wait for your party to group together all within 10 feet of the skeleton (maneuver him into place or something) and then fail a dispel magic check.

If you've got about 50 explosive runes that should do the trick (even with the rogue's evasion). Also get a rod of maximize so that your explosive runes deal maximum damage or get several pearls of power 3rd level so you can say you had the ability to cast explosive runes many times.

It's a classic :D. Best option is to wait for them to get near a choke point like a door and huddle around it. Or to animate a second skeleton and give it an interesting looking dagger that's +1 and has your party's names on it or something so they'll all hunch around it.

Gemini476
2013-07-29, 05:22 AM
Scroll of shapechange. Heck, shapechange into a solar.

Also, I don't recall this 'zaniness' being restricted to e6.

Also, need to call out the saint cleric of pelor due to saint being exalted sterf and being versus vampire ( evil alignment ).

While E6 has an alternative system for LA, this is even weirder. I just mentioned it since a level 5 wizard doesn't have many "I Win" spells.

And really, everyone is over thinking this with chain gates and all.

Buy a Candle of Invocation.
Gate in a Balor.
Blasphemy.

animewatcha
2013-07-29, 05:26 AM
It was stated that any cheese was fine.

So it might as well have been chain gated cheese from cheese-zaria of cheese-zistan of the continent of Cheesia on the cheesy plain of Cheese.

eggynack
2013-07-29, 05:29 AM
While E6 has an alternative system for LA, this is even weirder. I just mentioned it since a level 5 wizard doesn't have many "I Win" spells.

And really, everyone is over thinking this with chain gates and all.

Buy a Candle of Invocation.
Gate in a Balor.
Blasphemy.
That's really close to being the way to go, and was about the level of crazy that I was estimating was necessary, but it's imperfect. Blasphemy is great, but the vampire is probably evil, and we don't know what the rest of the party's alignments are. Still, a single gated creature should be enough to kill a party of this level. Hell, a balor might be able to do it, even if blasphemy won't be as great as it initially looks.

Eldariel
2013-07-29, 05:38 AM
If you just want to use your spells, you can use Shrink Item, Explosive Runes, Dispel Magic & co. Shrunk boulders unshrinking, bundles of Explosive Runes just exploding off Dispels, etc. Those are cheap, effective methods of attack.

Alter Self, Mage Armor, Shield, etc. could protect you from physical attacks reasonably well and you should have reasonable saves and stuff vs. magic. Most would come down to itemomancy tho and the big ones have already been named.

Somensjev
2013-07-29, 05:44 AM
That's really close to being the way to go, and was about the level of crazy that I was estimating was necessary, but it's imperfect. Blasphemy is great, but the vampire is probably evil, and we don't know what the rest of the party's alignments are. Still, a single gated creature should be enough to kill a party of this level. Hell, a balor might be able to do it, even if blasphemy won't be as great as it initially looks.

they're all CN, except the cleric, who is LG

eggynack
2013-07-29, 05:53 AM
they're all CN, except the cleric, who is LG
Oh. That's weird, given that vampires are always evil. If that's the case, which only compounds the ridiculousness of the situation, go with the blasphemy plan. That kills everyone in one shot, leaving behind the need to do anything plan like.

ericgrau
2013-07-29, 12:02 PM
With all that money the first thing that comes to mind is a staff with higher level spells than you can normally cast. The simplest but not the strongest way is teleport away, summon some guys, go invisible, teleport back with the guys and flee while they use their inappropriate CR to win.