PDA

View Full Version : Horror Campaign

Arkusus
2013-07-29, 03:28 AM
So, I'm setting up the details for a Horror campaign that I'm going to run with some of my friends. Basic setup, one last standing holy city in the middle of lots and lots and lots of really evil everything.

Right now my general go-to books are Heroes of Horror, Libris Mortis (cause I love me some undead), and Book of Exalted Deeds. Are there any others I should look for, that might have some good content or mechanics?

Also, on a side note... I know one of my players is going to bug me to let him play a Rouge-style character, but Undead are going to feature quite prominently in this campaign... Are there any classes, feats, or features that can allow a Rouge to not be horribly useless against undead? (Basically, something that would let him get sneak attacks)

Gildedragon
2013-07-29, 04:20 AM
So you could point them in the direction of the Swordsage; they can be pretty roguish, boost their skillpoints and grant them trapfinding to make them moreso; or Factotum; SA is kinda useless, but they get other useful abilities.
or
Death's Ruin ACF from Complete Champion
Holy Stalker ACF ibid
Penetrating Strike ACF from Dungeonscape

As for books for setting: If in a city, check Cityscape out.

NevinPL
2013-07-29, 04:44 AM
Are there any others I should look for, that might have some good content or mechanics?
You can look into other "evil" books:
- Book of Vile Darkness,
- Champions of Ruin,
- Elder Evils (very nice if your looking for "end is nigh" feel),
- Exemplars of Evil.

Are there any classes, feats, or features that can allow a Rouge to not be horribly useless against undead? (Basically, something that would let him get sneak attacks)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213736

Norin
2013-07-29, 10:41 AM
More evil inspiration can be found in these books:

Lords of madness
Fiend Folio
Drow of the underdark

dascarletm
2013-07-29, 11:01 AM
I played in a horror campaign and I got to recommend E6. It keeps players at around a "realistic" powerlevel and everything is more deadly. Helps to know you don't have a massive pool of HP/defenses to fall back on in a horror situation.

Eyclonus
2013-07-29, 12:17 PM
Look for the D20 Call of Cthulhu core rules and have a look at their sanity mechanic, you could use that to add a sense of foreboding tension .

limejuicepowder
2013-07-29, 12:21 PM
For the rogue there is the penetrating strike ACF, which is good. If memory serves it lets half of the SA damage when flanking.

Alternatively, just let sneak attack apply to any target type as a house rule. It's not OP in the slightest, it's a lot cleaner, and it makes more sense (IMO).

NevinPL
2013-07-29, 03:13 PM
Fiend Folio

Now I remember - Fiendish Codex I and II. Especially II is devilishly good, or it's just my soft spot, for that magnificent bastard Asmodeus.

Ignominia
2013-07-29, 03:46 PM
There is an alt class feature for rogue that allows you to apply a -5ac until the next round to creatures that are immune to sneak. I cant remember what its called but it replaces uncanny dodge. Im 90% sure its in one of the complete books... Sorry I cant be more specific.

Nepenthe
2013-07-29, 06:15 PM
He could UMD wands of Grave Strike (or dip Cleric for 'em). Preferably in wand chambers.