PDA

View Full Version : help with melee cleric please....

morkendi
2013-07-29, 06:06 AM
I used dynamic priest to move everything to cha as to fuel turns so I can get some divine MM as well as some better base melee stats. I know there are some other good turn based stuff out there as well. Cleric pretty much melee for the group. I took strength domain for enlarge person and magic domain as it gives the use of wands and such without umd. Also 9th lvl disjunction and such. The party is evil, so I have rebuke and command.

dantiesilva
2013-07-29, 06:25 AM
Well if you were not evil I would say worship Pelor and take Cleric up to 3 So you have turning, greater turning, and planar turning pools to fuel DMM. I walked around with more then half the cleric spell list on me all day, was very fun and devastating. If Dragon is open perhaps might contender of Kord to make that surge of strength ten times more powerful, last longer, and more times per day. Though Half casting does hurt a bit, with Surge of strength being overcharged the way it is take a dip in say barbarian and you now have an ubercharge that cast spells.

morkendi
2013-07-29, 07:00 AM
We do LA buy off, so I took half nymph. My cha is 22 which gives me 9 turns. I was thinking about a 2 lvl dip into paladin of tyranny to get +6 to all my saves, but I don't know if I want to loose the 2 caster levels. Could also go 2 lvl fighter dip for feats. Thing is we are lawful evil, but still fighting a greater evil we don't agree with. We want the world to stay like it is, so we are forced into the hero roll because we will do what is necessary.

dantiesilva
2013-07-29, 07:15 AM
Any time I hear fey and Lawful I think of a bad joke, no offense. Just fey and chaos go hand and hand.

Anyways onto real topic. You could ask your DM if he would allow you to be a Perstiage Paladin of tryanny, thus being able to be LE, and gain all the fun bonuses of being a 5th level paladin with a 1 caster level loss. Make your mount the dragon one from Dragon magic or even replace it with chagrining smite (+2 damage/Paladin level) and you should be well off. I recently got a nerf to DMM persist as my DM knows my last character so was only allowed one turning pool. Same boat as you for the amount of things I could persist because of such a small turning pool. At low levels I keep Visage of the deity lesser, and divine favor persisted for that extra boost to turns. Once I get access to holy transformation (Unholy for you) lesser I normally switch it out with Visage of the deity lesser, casting visage in the morning while I am Persisting spells.

Another spell which has helped alot is Draconic might. Depending on the reading +5 to Strength, Con, and Cha. +4 Na, and immunity to a few things for like 1 minute/level. Not much else I can suggest without knowing spell level you have access to.

Divine power
Righteous might
(Some pact that when you are fighting something of opposite alignment of your deity you deal double damage and auto confirm on crits)

morkendi
2013-07-29, 07:30 AM
Only looking at 3rd level right now, but looking to see what direction I should go. Party is 3 people. 1 is wizard, other is ranger going into some monk ranger combined thing. The wizard can handle a good amount of skill monkey stuff with his high int and able learner. My main job is front line and face of the party with my high charisma and diplomacy.

dantiesilva
2013-07-29, 07:38 AM
In that case I would not worry to much on lost caster levels as it does not seem like a to optimized group (unless the wizard is playing a god wizard) so even with the level losses (or one if your DM allows Prestiage paladin of tryanny) you should still be the strongest member in the party.

Your best spells at these levels are inhibit, Shield of faith, Divine Favor, Bless, Doom, lesser visage of the deity.

Inhibit because If you go before the enemy in initiative you can literally make them lose a turn. Sure you wasted a turn making sure he could not do anything, but thats 1 turn your allies can go all out on trying to weaken him for you to attack. Beign transportation to get a Full attack in with Surge of Stength without having to move is always fun as well.

Here is my build to give you some help, by no means is he as powerful as the one I was using before, but well he got banned http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=608930

Eldariel
2013-07-29, 01:05 PM
I'd especially worry about CL losses since higher level spells are the heart and soul of a warrior Cleric, what sets them apart from other warriors and thus losing those leaves you as a Medium BAB NPC Warrior. The first level spells cost a lot in terms of action and don't last long making them unwieldy buffs outside surprise rounds or Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell.

Higher up you get more worthwhile buffs (Divine Power, Righteous Might; Divine Favor gets good with 9 CL too) and long duration buffs (Spikes, Magic Vestment, Greater Magic Weapon, etc.). Note that while you're technically not there yet, you're not really behind a warrior of equal level either beyond 1 BAB which isn't all that much.

cerin616
2013-07-29, 01:46 PM
Gauntlets of heartfelt blows. just do it.

Also, along with what the guy is saying about worshipping pelor, if you want to go that route, ask your DM if he will allow for "Pelor the burning hate"

Urpriest
2013-07-29, 02:02 PM
In terms of multiplying your turn pool, greater turning would have been somewhat dubious anyway, but there's an ACF in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft that trades out your turn pool for a pool that damages/heals undead (heals for you I would think) that explicitly counts for divine feats. That said, it's hard for you to pick up another source of Rebuking without losing caster levels, so the point may be moot unless you're willing to grab a dip in Dread Necromancer or Death Delver.

morkendi
2013-07-29, 02:26 PM
We have these 2 feats we use called channel energy and selective channeling. The way it works is like destroy undead, but you can heal everything in the 30 foot radius as a good priest. Evil preast rebuke life and harm everything in the radius. It does not effect undead when you do this. The bad thing is it is allies and everything unless you take selective channeling which allows you to not effect certain taegets.. It cost 1 turn for normal and 2 turns for selective. I chose the harm version, so for 2 of my turn attempts, I can harm every living thing in a 30 foot radius for 1d6 per level of cleric without hurting the party. I go in and pop this a couple times and move to melee. I chose this for my 1st lvl and my bonus feat for being human.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-29, 04:07 PM
the elemental domains give quite the boost to turning/rebukeing (assuming your dm lets them count)

Zanfire
2013-07-29, 06:21 PM
For extra turn attempts you can pick up a few nightsticks (lom?) that grant +4 attempts

If you dip prc pally maybe pick up battle blessing for auto quickening spells

Possibly a crusader dip and go into ruby knight windicator?

In on of the completes theres a nice mele cleric prc if you worship kord iirc I forget which, either divine or warrior maybe?

Just a few ideas

Urpriest
2013-07-29, 08:33 PM
the elemental domains give quite the boost to turning/rebukeing (assuming your dm lets them count)

They explicitly don't count, once you read the errata. Divine Metamagic was changed to only work with Turn/Rebuke Undead.

dantiesilva
2013-07-29, 10:14 PM
Would you be talking about mighty contender of kord? If so it is in Dragon not a complete book.

morkendi
2013-07-30, 08:06 AM
I read pelor the burning hate, I think I may see if my DM will let me make a few changes.

Zanfire
2013-07-30, 08:16 AM
Would you be talking about mighty contender of kord? If so it is in Dragon not a complete book.

No, I'm prolly really misremembering everything about it except it was an evil cleric prc that gave me quite an edge in mele combat a while back, I'm afb & posting from my phone on my coffee breaks sorry

cerin616
2013-07-30, 08:45 AM
I read pelor the burning hate, I think I may see if my DM will let me make a few changes.

Yeaaaaaaaaaa, totally awesome. And tonnes of evil trickery flavor

morkendi
2013-07-30, 09:52 AM
Want to see if I can change radiant servant to a more evil feal. The only change would probably be the empowered heals and such would change to harm spells unless the priest was trying to trick people to think he is good.

cerin616
2013-07-30, 10:04 AM
there might be another class in that book thats already similary to radiant servant. Not sure.