PDA

View Full Version : [Feats] I am so smart. S, M, R T.

Dhavaer
2006-12-12, 10:46 PM
Parrallel Processing
Prerequisites: Int 23
Benefit: The durations of any mind-affectings effects inflicted upon you are reduced by half.

More to come, as I think of them.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 12:08 AM
Might I suggest one?

Dual Core
Prerequisites: Parallel Processing, Int 27
Benefit: You can cast two spells at once

Dhavaer
2006-12-13, 12:13 AM
Isn't that Quicken Spell without the spell level increase?

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 12:15 AM
Well not quite, because that would let you cast two spells in the same round, while this would be literally at the same time.

Dhavaer
2006-12-13, 12:19 AM
How would that work? Using the same action?

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 12:25 AM
Yes, in a technical sense.

Though bear in mind that mine was a joke.:smalltongue:

Amotis
2006-12-13, 12:37 AM
Some monster has an item that does that. Basically two minds and cast twice a round and bonus to will saves and such.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-13, 12:37 AM
Wait, hang on...

Are these for AI?

Some monster has an item that does that. Basically two minds and cast twice a round and bonus to will saves and such.

You mean the psionic power "Schism"?

Dhavaer
2006-12-13, 12:38 AM
No, just people with really high Intelligence scores.

Amotis
2006-12-13, 12:41 AM
You mean the psionic power "Schism"?

No monster with a disk thingy.

What about the standards that arn't in d&d? Photographic memory. Instant calculation, etc?

Dhavaer
2006-12-13, 12:42 AM
Photographic memory is in Autohypnosis, I think. How would you define that in rules, anyway?

Amotis
2006-12-13, 12:45 AM
DM and other player help? Can peak at the DM's notes sometimes? Mostly just OOC help.

Dhavaer
2006-12-13, 12:49 AM
Predictive Intellect
Prerequisites: Int 23, Knowledge (behavioural sciences) 8 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks
Benefit: Every combat round after the first, you gain a +2 insight bonus to Initiative. These bonuses stack.
Each time an enemy successfully strikes you in melee, you gain a +1 insight bonus to Defence against that opponent's attacks. These bonuses stack, to a maximum of your Int bonus.

Amotis
2006-12-13, 12:51 AM
That's cool but looses it's effectiveness fast and instantly.

Dhavaer
2006-12-13, 12:53 AM
Editted, for more power.

Amotis
2006-12-13, 12:55 AM
That's cool if not a bit self contradictory. And int of 23 and being hit? Ow.

How 'bout ones that involve skill checks? *thinks*

Dhavaer
2006-12-13, 01:00 AM
I'm not sure there's any Int based skills that would be useful in combat. Demolitions excepted. Maybe Disable Device giving something vs Constructs?

Amotis
2006-12-13, 01:02 AM
Yeah, the knowledge ones are basically covered by that one class. Forget the name.

Gralamin
2006-12-13, 01:38 AM
Efficient Installation
Prerequisites: INT 21
Benefit: You may increase the base amount of skill points (such as the 2 in 2 + int modifier) for your class by Two. This effect cannot bring the base amount of skill points above 10.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time choose a class you have levels in. This class gains the effect of the Feat.

icke
2006-12-13, 06:16 AM
Efficient Installation
Prerequisites: INT 21
Benefit: You may increase the base amount of skill points (such as the 2 in 2 + int modifier) for your class by Two. This effect cannot bring the base amount of skill points above 10.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time choose a class you have levels in. This class gains the effect of the Feat.

So Your character gets skill points for having a high INT, and...
... additional skill points for having a high INT? Too doubled, I think, and too powerfull as a feat. Anyway, it only helps those who don't really need help in this respect.

mikeejimbo:
The Dual core might need a concentration check to succeed, DC something like 10+spell level(spell 1)+spell level(spell 2).

Dhaever: Why should INT be the thing for Parallel Processing, usually WIS is what messes with mind-affecting abilities(saves etc.)

The Predictive Intellect is too hard on the AC(DEF) side, since AC is one of the hardest things to get, at least in D&D. How about a dodge bonus to a maximum of one half INT modifier, stacks with anything and is still powerfull.
I like the Initiative bonus idea though, mental stats are underestimated there in D&D.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 09:16 AM
mikeejimbo:
The Dual core might need a concentration check to succeed, DC something like 10+spell level(spell 1)+spell level(spell 2).

Or possibly two checks, one for each spell.

For now, a new feat!

More RAM
Prerequisites: Int 25, Parallel Processing
Effect: You can memorize one more spell per day for each spell level

Of course, that's particularly nasty with Wizards, who already get more spells for having a high int... though the joke is that RAM is temporary storage and that's what memorized spells seem to be held in. :smallbiggrin:

icke
2006-12-13, 09:32 AM
Nah, not that much more RAM. Make it one additional spell for level 1, and let it be taken multiple times for more additional spells each one level higher. And produce similar things for wisdom- and charisma-based casters.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 09:35 AM
Nah, not that much more RAM. Make it one additional spell for level 1, and let it be taken multiple times for more additional spells each one level higher. And produce similar things for wisdom- and charisma-based casters.

And make the previous spell level's feat a prerequisite for the next?

icke
2006-12-13, 10:01 AM
Jep. I would also make "ability score high enough to be able to cast the spell" a prerequisite, but I don't think it's necessary... :biggrin:

Yakk
2006-12-13, 12:38 PM
Hyperthreading:
INT 30
You can cast a standard action spell over two move actions.

Concentration checks consider all damage between the actions to be during the casting.

One may cast spells using the remaining standard actions. One may not take swift actions on turns you are consuming move actions to cast a spell.

Grey Knight
2006-12-13, 03:53 PM
When I first glanced at this thread title, I was expecting a new Flaw, actually.

Flaw: I Am So Smrt
Description: Your character thinks he is smarter than he actually is.
Effect: Reduce your Intelligence score by 2. Your character does not know that his Intelligence is this low.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 03:55 PM
That's a good one!

"Of course I can cast that spell, I'm smart enough!"

If I were the DM, I'd make him roll on the Wild Magic table for that.

Dhavaer
2006-12-13, 04:16 PM
More RAM
Prerequisites: Int 25, Parallel Processing
Effect: You can memorize one more spell per day for each spell level

This already exists, minus the prereqs; it's called Spellslinger.

Dhaever: Why should INT be the thing for Parallel Processing, usually WIS is what messes with mind-affecting abilities(saves etc.)

Wisdom represents willpower; Parrallel Processing doesn't make you any stronger willed, it just means that your brain is thinking so fast it leaves the effect behind.
Also, spell my name right! You can just copy/paste it, if you have to.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 04:22 PM
This already exists, minus the prereqs; it's called Spellslinger.

Perhaps, but my name is funnier. :smalltongue:

fangthane
2006-12-13, 05:26 PM
What about simpler stuff which is in line with pre-existing content? like
Improved Combat Expertise
Prerequisite: Combat Expertise, base attack +8, int 19
Benefit: A character with Improved Combat Expertise may subtract as much as his or her entire base attack bonus, or 10 points (whichever is less) from his or her attack rolls and add the same number as a dodge bonus to his or her armor class.

The ability to cast in parallel is potentially very broken, but the reduction of mental duration seems relatively moderate. BTW Dhavaer, it's spelled 'parallel' not 'parrallel' - close :)
Also the text should read "The duration of any mind-affecting spell or ability of which you are the target is reduced by half." Grammar nazi 4tw ;)

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-13, 05:56 PM
Imp Combat Expertize already exists. It's in CW.

magic8BALL
2006-12-13, 11:18 PM
Might I suggest one?

Dual Core
Prerequisites: Parallel Processing, Int 27
Benefit: You can cast two spells at once

Isn't that Twinn Spell from Complete arcane, without the level increase?

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 11:20 PM
Isn't that Twinn Spell from Complete arcane, without the level increase?

And a different prerequisite, and a funnier name.

fangthane
2006-12-13, 11:29 PM
Bah, figures... One of the few I haven't got hehe.

I suppose in retrospect it was a pretty bleedin' obvious feat to have developed tho'. :smallbiggrin:

icke
2006-12-14, 04:46 AM
Wisdom represents willpower; Parrallel Processing doesn't make you any stronger willed, it just means that your brain is thinking so fast it leaves the effect behind.
Also, spell my name right! You can just copy/paste it, if you have to.

I fail to see how cleverness and brainpower can help a character that's mentally controlled. If the character succumbs to mental control, the duration is entirely in the hands of the caster. And if You assume that INT affects spell duration You also have to build this one:

Control Genius
Prerequisite: INT 25+, ability to cast mind affecting spells
Benefit: If Your character casts a mind-affecting spell at a creature with INT 8 or less, the duration for this spell is doubled.

Concerning the name: Sorry, everyone makes mistakes, didn't mean to be rude.

The_Cowinator
2006-12-14, 05:03 AM
:thog: thog not like smart people. thog smash!!!

Anyways, here goes nothing...

I'm Smarter Than You, So Just Sit Down and Shut Up
Your speech and choice of words inherently confuses other people.
Prerequisits: 25+ INT
Benefit: When speaking to an organism with less than 12 INT that can understand you, they lose their next action trying to figure out what you said.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time you take it, add +1 to the INT of the creature you confuse (e.g. after taking this feat 3 times, all creatures with 14 INT or lower are confused by your speech).

Ultimate battle (and ally) control.

magic8BALL
2006-12-14, 07:49 AM
Sometimes, I fell like I have this feat about three or four times, but in RL I dont think I have enough HD to accomodate this... must be a Bonus feat in a PrC I have...

mikeejimbo
2006-12-14, 10:46 AM
:thog: thog not like smart people. thog smash!!!

That gives me an idea for one.

Thog smash!
Prerequisites: INT 12-
Benefit: Whenever you succeed a Will save, you get an attack of opportunity on the offender.

I should so take this...my INT is only 11!

heroe_de_leyenda
2006-12-14, 11:06 AM
Thog smash puny talky man
Prerequisites: INT 8-
Benefit: You get a +1 bonus on attack rolls againts spellcasters. You also get +1 on will saves against spells

heroe_de_leyenda
2006-12-14, 11:19 AM
Thog thinks pretty girls icky
Prerequisites: INT 8-, male.
Benefit: You get +4 to will saves against spells, spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities cast by fey. You get +4 on will saves against enchantment spells made by female humanoid spellcasters. But: you get -1 penalty to AC and -2 to concentration checks whenever a female humanoid with 13+ CHA threatens your space

Mewtarthio
2006-12-14, 01:02 PM
I fail to see how cleverness and brainpower can help a character that's mentally controlled. If the character succumbs to mental control, the duration is entirely in the hands of the caster.

Well, when you think about it, what does Wisdom have to do with resisting mind control? If you're blasted by Dominate Person, you can't exactly get out of it by your great skill at understanding things. Even less so with something like Feeblemind.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-12-14, 04:26 PM

Hey! It was in Oriental Adventures first.

Then again, everything in Complete Warrior was either somewhere else first or universally derided.

I have a cunning plan [Flaw]
Prerequisites: INT 17+, Wisdom 7-
Penalty: Any venture you enter takes twice as much time and resources as it normally would.

Bah, simpletons [Flaw]
Prerequisites: Cha 13+, Int 17+
Penalty: Instead of applying your charisma or wisdom modifier to social skills (diplomacy, bluff, intimidate, sense motive) you subtract your intelligence modifier at all times. When another character makes a check in one of these skills you must pass a DC 25 will save or automatically make the check for them.

icke
2006-12-15, 09:34 AM
Well, when you think about it, what does Wisdom have to do with resisting mind control? If you're blasted by Dominate Person, you can't exactly get out of it by your great skill at understanding things. Even less so with something like Feeblemind.

As far as I get it, wisdom is also strength of will, that's why it's good for the save. As soon as the save fails, wisdom doesn't help you a bit, of course. But neither does intelligence, and that was the only thing I wanted to say with that.

Earthstar_Fungus
2006-12-16, 10:47 PM
Demogorgon from The Book of Vile Darkness has split personalities that allow him to take two rounds of actions in one round. I don't see the bonus to the will save though.