PDA

View Full Version : Help with builds for Dwarven Fighter and Cleric Kossuth

Krazzman
2013-07-29, 06:37 AM
Hello again Playground,

last Weekend we started a new Campaign of DnD 3.5. With a Totemist (me), an Elven Warmage, Human Kossuth and a Dwarven Fighter.

The Dwarven Fighter is a relatively new player and as such I just want to nudge him in the right direction as such he isn't totally outperformed by the Totemist.

He has taken Power Attack and Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe). We are level 2 and he has 1 feat free. We don't have the RoS or UA for ACF. PHB2 or Completes on the other hand are on the table as should be Dungeonscape but he declined going Dungeon Crasher.
What Prestigeclass can I recommend him that will make him a Fighter that feels good (not too high level if possible). I already recommended him to read dictum mortuums guide but don't know what he can learn from it.

For the Kossuth Cleric I helped her built the char. We started with Spellcasting Prodigy to get an effective 18 in Wisdom and Domain Spontaenity to get more uses of Burning Hands (Fire Domain) or Charm Person (Renewal Domain).
The Plan is:
Cleric of Kossuth 5/Elemental Archon (Fire) 2/Divine Disciple
With the following feats:
Spellcasting Prodigy (H), Domain Spontaenity (1st), Fiery Burst (3rd), Searing Spell (6th), Divine Metamagic Searing Spell (9th).

Is there something we could do differently? The idea was Casting, believing in Kossuth and contributing in fights without going melee or ranged.
Furthermore is there an Cleric Spell-rating that I just can print for her to choose spells from?

Any help is strongly appreciated... I again believe I need to tone my char-builds down...

Ravitiate
2013-07-29, 08:15 AM
For the Fighter, if he has the dex for it, how about going for something like Jack B Quick (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/.../6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick), a trip build with High Sword, Low Axe and Two-Weapon Fighting and some fun AoO on mid-high levels. The build assumes Human Bonus feat and a hand axe, but you might make it work anyway.

If that doesn't work, you can't go wrong with countinuing building power attack. Pick up feats like Shock Trooper and Combat Brute, pick up Robilars Gambit and Stormguard Warrior.

He could also switch to Warblade at level 5, which grants him level 2 maneuvers and later go over in Bloodstorm Blade, it's pretty damn fun to throw a Dwarven Waraxe from minion to minion power attacking all the way.

For the Cleric, this handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=u0g06pv1j5r41gfftb4io9gjp4&topic=420.msg8434#msg8434) lists the names of the most useful spells.

CyberThread
2013-07-29, 11:25 AM
Something to consider and use, although kossuth is LN leaning towards LE, he has a strong hate towards undead, and can be found allot in Thay.

If he/she is using fire spells to represent the full fire thing, look at the class silver pyromancer , from five nations, and see if that fits within your ideals , it is an arcane class, but can be switched to divine magic with DM say so.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-29, 01:04 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of the Combat Form feats from PHB2 if he's got spare feats (and the requisite 13 Wisdom). They get better the more you have (okay, if you have at least 3, they usually double in effectiveness).

Krazzman
2013-07-30, 03:01 AM
Combat Form does seem quite awesome... coupled with barbarian Rage or similar...

About going into Silvery Pyromancer... we sadly don't have that book (not even as pdf).

Available books are:
Core + PHB2, Dungeonscape, ToB, MoI, Stormwrack, Complete (ALL), MiC, SC, RoW, RoD, FCS, PGtF, Races of Faerun, F&P, and some regional books (not sure which).

About the Cleric Handbook. Is there another list where they explain them in more detail? Or should I just make an Excel sheet with them and think this is enough?

Saintheart
2013-07-30, 04:05 AM
Tome of Battle is available. All your needs for Fighter and prestige classes for Fighter and replacing Fighter outright are satisfied. :smallcool:

eggynack
2013-07-30, 05:51 AM
Now I'm all disappointed. My brain saw combat forms, and I saw this potential from my heart of optimization, and they all seem just absolutely terrible. Like, they're surprisingly bad. I don't even know if I'd take any of them if they were always on and didn't have any prerequisites. Combat vigor is decent, but the rest seem a bit on the unsalvageable side, which is sad, because I was all ready to think up uses for them.

If you want something interesting, I'd advise looking into tactical feats from Complete Warrior. They're mostly not tearing worlds asunder, except for shock trooper, and they give a character some degree of options without going overboard. If nothing else they're kinda fun, even if you don't take barbarian for a level, trade fast movement for pounce, pick up shock trooper at some point, and outdamage just about everyone in the party. Actually, do that. After level two, because he's apparently dungeon crasher averse, he should jump ship from fighter asap. It looks like he's the kinda guy who'd be happy just dealing piles of damage, so help him deal piles of damage. Quick, easy, and to the point.

Marnath
2013-07-30, 05:57 AM
You said you don't have access to UA and it's ACF's, but that isn't true. They're on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantClasses.htm) which is free to use.

Krazzman
2013-07-30, 09:08 AM
To clarify a bit.

The fighter is quite new. Currently he plays a Druid (in my Pathfinder Game), an Rogue/Ranger (level 5, don't know the mix, I think Rogue 1/Ranger 2/Rogue 2), an Halfling Swordsage and now a straight fighter where I advised him to take Dungeoncrasher because I even think it is far more fitting for a Dwarven Fighter than anything else but he declined, didn't want to argue with him there so I'll try again wednesday and ask him why not.

Races of Stone is not really available. I might be able to ask about it since we have it on pdf and an iPad to take it to the gamenights.

The Unearthed Arcana (1) is still at our Old GM's place... together with my copy of Faith and Pantheons, Magic of Faerun and Complete Mage if he hasn't sold them already or did other things with them. So I assume that I probably won't see them again.
The Unearthed Arcana (2) is ordered and will arrive around the 8th of August since we don't play with the SRD.

I personally thought the Combat Form feats to be cool and giving him Bonus in places he already is okay. Combat Focus, Combat Stability and then Combat Vigor will probably be the ones he takes... IF he has 13 Wis. I'm unsure about that. Getting Fast Healing 4 for 12 rounds every encounter can be quite nice. As well as a +4 to Will Saves, and a +8 against trip and so on.

If I would play this fighter it would Probably be an Racial Substitution Dwarven Dungeoncrasher Fighter till level 6 and then going into Prestigeclasses.