PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sand Shaper Entrance?

Valwyn
2013-07-29, 12:28 PM
The class says you need

Spells or Spell-Like Abilities: Arcane caster level 5th.

Could you use a race with an SLA to enter? Particularly, could an Aasimar Favoured Soul enter? SLAs are defined as arcane, so at level five, he should be able to qualify (assuming he meets the other requirements, of course), or did I get something wrong?

A_S
2013-07-29, 12:36 PM
I don't know of any rule that specifies that "SLAs are defined as arcane." The closest thing I can find is the SRD saying that "a monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions."

That said, since the line specifies that SLA's are okay, I agree with your reading that racial SLA's could qualify you. If you say that the "arcane caster level" line takes precedence, then it becomes impossible to qualify using any SLA's whatsoever.

Either way, though, a bad piece of writing. It should read something like "arcane spells or spell-like abilities: caster level 5th."

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-29, 12:37 PM
That wording lets Warlock get in (no clue why you want to...). Other then that I see no use for that wording.

A_S
2013-07-29, 12:39 PM
That wording lets Warlock get in (no clue why you want to...). Other then that I see no use for that wording.

Hm, that's right, I forgot that Warlocks have an arcane caster level. In that case, maybe I was wrong earlier.

Although, why would a warlock ever want to be a sandshaper?

SparowCrow
2013-07-29, 12:53 PM
Although, why would a warlock ever want to be a sandshaper?

to shape sand?

Valwyn
2013-07-29, 01:10 PM
That said, since the line specifies that SLA's are okay, I agree with your reading that racial SLA's could qualify you. If you say that the "arcane caster level" line takes precedence, then it becomes impossible to qualify using any SLA's whatsoever.

Thanks for the answer.

Technically, yes, but they would miss the spells known.

to shape sand?

Building sand castles (http://eattoast.deviantart.com/art/gaara-as-a-kid-54196546), of course. :smallbiggrin:

Another question: I just realized that it spefically progresses arcane casting only (:smallsigh:). Does that mean that a Favoured Soul doesn't get the spells known added to his list? Desert Insight gives the spells at level one, which doesn't advance casting, so I guess you could make an argument for benefiting anyway as a divine caster, but I get the feeling most people would say no. What do you think?

ArqArturo
2013-07-29, 01:15 PM
Well, let's say an illumian with the krau sigil wants to be a sandshaper.

Now, sandshaper requires caster level 5th, this illumian happens to be an illumian warmage 3/fighter 2. The Krau sigil would give him a maximum of +2 to his effective caster level for spell effects. Would that make him qualify?.

But, however, I have a doubt on another of the requirementes: The ubiquitous Touchstone feat. It requires either eight ranks in Knowledge (Local), or an item that costs 250 gp (which is linked to the area in question). Now, if you lose that item, do you no longer get the benefit of the feat?.

Edit: Grammar Nazi'd.

Segev
2013-07-29, 01:20 PM
Well, let's say an illumian with the krau sigil wants to be a sandshaper.

Now, sandshaper requires caster level 5th, this illumian happens to be an illumian warmage 3/fighter 2. Krau with him a maximum of +2 to his effective caster level for spell effects. Would that make him qualify?.It would.

The ubiquitous Touchstone feat. It requires either eight ranks in Knowledge (Local), or an item that costs 250 gp (which is linked to the area in question). Now, if you lose that item, do you no longer get the benefit of the feat?.Yes, you do. Until you get another one.

Valwyn
2013-07-29, 01:30 PM
The ubiquitous Touchstone feat. It requires either eight ranks in Knowledge (Local), or an item that costs 250 gp (which is linked to the area in question). Now, if you lose that item, do you no longer get the benefit of the feat?.

Yes, you do. Until you get another one.

Actually:

Knowledge (local) 8 ranks for the area in which the touchstone lies, or possession of a touchstone key (a portable object native to the touchstone’s area and worth at least 250 gp). To forge a link between yourself and the touchstone, you must spend a day in meditation, spending 10 XP and 250 gp in material components. Alternatively, the key object for the touchstone can be destroyed as part of the ritual, in place of the material components.

(Bolding mine)
The way I read it, you can use the touchstone key to qualify for the feat. You sacrifice it in the ritual and no longer need it. Might be wrong.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-29, 01:38 PM
Another question: I just realized that it spefically progresses arcane casting only (:smallsigh:). Does that mean that a Favoured Soul doesn't get the spells known added to his list? Desert Insight gives the spells at level one, which doesn't advance casting, so I guess you could make an argument for benefiting anyway as a divine caster, but I get the feeling most people would say no. What do you think?

Th class feature that grants the additional spells is separate from the feature that advances casting. The Feature that adds spells doesn't specify divine or arcane so it would add the spells to your favored soul spells known.

Valwyn
2013-07-29, 01:59 PM
That's what I thought (only better worded), but I still get the feeling it's kinda questionable since the class is designed with arcane characters in mind (which makes me wonder why Nature and Survival are necessary, but whatever).

Chronos
2013-07-29, 04:36 PM
I think that technically, a warlock who entered the class would gain all those spells as Spells Known, but still wouldn't be able to use them because he doesn't have any Spells Per Day. It would still mean that he could use wands or scrolls without UMD, though.