PDA

View Full Version : Twich, the plague rat

pilvento
2013-07-29, 02:06 PM
If you already know what im talking about you also realice my gaming group and i are fans of League of Legends, and so far they been after Twich, a Wererat, captain of one of the most feared pirate ships in the seas of my campaing.

Im geting ready for the encounter next weekend so if anyone can give just a link to a build or a feat chain to make a decent crossbow character (lvl 12) you will save me a lot of time.

Thanks all!

AntiTrust
2013-07-29, 04:19 PM
AFB but, my guess would be either complete scoundrel or drow of the underdark I get the impression that both of those books would have tricks with crossbows and poison.

Also I've actually thrown some league champs into an eberron game I'm running with good results. Ezreal I have in Breland as a relic hunter for Morgrave, Lux and Leona are in Thrane (not sure doing what yet), and Sion is in Karnnath

Yogibear41
2013-07-29, 07:17 PM
Human
Elite Array
Str 10 Dex 15(+6 were rat+3 level up) Con 14+2 wererat Int 13 Wis 12 (+2 wererat) Cha 8

Str 10 Dex 24 Con 16 Int 13 Wis 14 Cha 8
1. Swashbuckler, Weapon Finese Rapid Reload(light) weapon focus (light Crossbow)
2. Wererat, Weapon Finese(again) Iron Will
3. Rogue ,Crossbow Sniper
4. Rogue
5. Rogue
6. Swashbuckler, Daring Outlaw
7. Swashbuckler
8. Swashbuckler
9. Swashbuckler, Point Blank Shot
10. Swashbuckler
11. Swashbuckler
12. Swashbuckler, Dead Eye (Dragon compendium errata changes bab req to only +1)

Hows this? Simple yet effective? 1d8+10 with an ordinary light crossbow while in hybrid form +6d6 sneak attack from 60 foot range.

Fenryr
2013-07-29, 10:24 PM
Repeating Crossbow?

This (http://www.brilliantgameologists.com/boards/?topic=642.0) two (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866950/Crossbow_Users_Mini-Handbook_%28work_in_progress%29) may help.

Fyermind
2013-07-29, 11:45 PM
Were-Rat Drow Rogue 1 / Factotum 8 / Fighter 2 / Conjurer 1

Feats: Point blank shot (1), rapid shot (3), Craven (6), Manyshot (9), Greater Manyshot (F1), Hand Crossbow Focus (F2), Woodland Archer (12)
Ability scores: 10 str, 22 dex, 10 con, 18 int, 10 wis, 15 cha

Replace familiar from conjurer with the abrupt jaunt.
Equipment value totals 45,000 gp:
+1 Small Splitting Hand Crossbow (32,400 gp)
defensive stuff

I'm assuming fractional BAB, and saves.

This character has a simple strategy: Nova in the surprise round or first round of combat, then flee using abrupt jaunt to jump through walls, floors, and doors.

If it gets a surprise round on the party, it opens with greater manyshot at +18 on each of the four attacks. If it misses on lots of them, it nova's now with the extra great manyshot and +4 for each previous miss. It should boost the damage or attack on two of those with it's int bonus. After that it should use abrupt jaunt to teleport through the ceiling or floor to end the encounter.

If it gets a normal turn where it has a sneak attack eligible target it full attacks with rapid shot for attacks +18/+18/+18/+18/+13/+13 followed by nova of greater manyshot for 18/18/18/18 taking advantage of racked up bonuses from woodland archer.

Each bolt hits for 1d3+13 (Craven)+1d6 (sneak attack)+6 (Hit and run fighter)+1 (magic) for an average of 25.5 damage.

In any case, it never wants to end a turn where it has a living foe aware of it's location.

To be a challenge to a level 12 party, it will need to take advantage of it's allies and environment (traps and difficult terrain are your friends). It should show up at the worst moments to shower someone with arrows and then vanish. The moment the PCs think they have it cornered, it teleports back to the original location they found it in, and they get an epic showdown where it actually stays and fights (and dies easily because crossbow archers suck at level 12 compared to what PCs can toss around).

I hope some of this helps!

Scythal
2013-07-30, 03:14 AM
Scout 4, ranger 2, fighter 4, highland stalker 2.

Feat wise: weapon focus [lightcrossbow], rapid shot/track (bonus from ranger), rapid reload, point blank shot/Manyshot/greater Manyshot (from fighter levels), improve skirmish (bonus scout), swift hunter, crossbow sniper, precise shot.

You end up with a mix of twitch/ashe but well, that's not realy the point :)

pilvento
2013-07-30, 02:06 PM
haha, lots of very interesting ideas!

Hows this? Simple yet effective? 1d8+10 with an ordinary light crossbow while in hybrid form +6d6 sneak attack from 60 foot range.

60ft sneak? were does that comes from? as far as i remember sniper and deadeye only gives DEX to dmg.

In any case, it never wants to end a turn where it has a living foe aware of it's location.

To be a challenge to a level 12 party, it will need to take advantage of it's allies and environment (traps and difficult terrain are your friends). It should show up at the worst moments to shower someone with arrows and then vanish. The moment the PCs think they have it cornered, it teleports back to the original location they found it in, and they get an epic showdown where it actually stays and fights (and dies easily because crossbow archers suck at level 12 compared to what PCs can toss around).

Ill avoid spells shanenigans but just cause its a low magic campaing, player have been asking for wands and stuff so if i sudenly make a give "pirate" some factotum lvls, its gonna get akward. The crossbow will have spliting for sure and like you said ill have to make the best of the terrain if i want the encounter to last, ill lure them into his ship haha

eat wise: weapon focus [lightcrossbow], rapid shot/track (bonus from ranger), rapid reload, point blank shot/Manyshot/greater Manyshot (from fighter levels), improve skirmish (bonus scout), swift hunter, crossbow sniper, precise shot.

In the end ill build something like that at least for the swift hunter chain using a single lvl of ranger, one of the PCs is a bear SHARK warrior, Vow of Poverty Darfellan, inmune to crits already, and poisons too, so the swift hunter feature that allows to deal presition dmg on favored enemy will do the trick :smallwin

I really belive that a Human Ranger1/scout11 + wererat focus/reaload/sniper/swifthunter/impskirmish/sniper/blank/presice/dead eye will do the trick

And last, seriously, how do you MANYSHOT with a crossbow :smallconfused: