PDA

View Full Version : getting better by getting hit

geekintheground
2013-07-29, 02:57 PM
is there a class or feat or item that makes you stronger the more damage you take? im trying to build something like Broly from DBZ

Metahuman1
2013-07-29, 03:00 PM
Crusader form tome of battle get's a class feature called furious counterstrike and a delayed damage pool.

There's a Barbarian AFC that works like rage with no limit on daily uses but requires you to take damage to trigger.

Frenzied Berserker has frenzy and also upgrades you when you get hit.

Lord Loss
2013-07-29, 03:01 PM
If I recall correctly, there is an alternate class feature for the Barbarian found in the PHBII that replaces rage, giving the Barbarian improved stats when his hit points are low instead of a certain number of times per day.

erok0809
2013-07-29, 03:02 PM
There's a spell in the Book of Vile Darkness, page 99, called Masochism, you could use that, or make an item out of it.

limejuicepowder
2013-07-29, 03:03 PM
The berserker rage variant for the barb from Unearthed Arcana is like that, though it's a fairly terrible feature. It makes the barb's rage automatically kick in when the character's hit points go below 5 x level. Way way too late.

With a little refluffing a Jack B Quick type of build could be used. Use karmic strike and robilar's gambit to gain AoO when you are hit, then turn it in to a massive offense with stormgaurd warrior.

'Sides that I'm not really sure. I've tried to think of ways to make such a character, and there's nothing great for it. Plain old barb would be OK I suppose, just don't use rage until the moment is right fluffwise.

edit: erm, I think berserker rage is from PHB2. Don't remember.

Killer Angel
2013-07-29, 03:10 PM
There's a spell in the Book of Vile Darkness, page 99, called Masochism, you could use that, or make an item out of it.

BTW, this spell is one of the basic elements of the omniscificer build...
(not that I'm suggesting that you should try to play one, of course).

Anyway, you also need the spell Delay Death.

Rebel7284
2013-07-29, 03:11 PM
Lady's Gambit - Dragon Magazine.
Inflict damage on yourself to get a bonus to attack and damage.

Metahuman1
2013-07-29, 03:15 PM
2 lvls of Barb, 1 of Monk, what ever dips you need to spare feats to do a jack be nimble build with monk weapons, a level of frenzied berserker and then as many Crusader levels as you can muster.

You get walloped for 10 damage or more, Berserk Strength kicks in for Barb and Frenzy for FB kick in. Add the Monk AFC decisive strike for double damage and Crusaders Furious Counter Strike to the massive number of AoO's your dealing out every time your attacked and/or hit, and you could really make people not wanna come at you.

Edit: Oh, and an item of that Book of Vile Darkness spell just to squeeze every bit out of it.

cerin616
2013-07-29, 03:18 PM
2 lvls of Barb, 1 of Monk, what ever dips you need to spare feats to do a jack be nimble build with monk weapons, a level of frenzied berserker and then as many Crusader levels as you can muster.

You get walloped for 10 damage or more, Berserk Strength kicks in for Barb and Frenzy for FB kick in. Add the Monk AFC decisive strike for double damage and Crusaders Furious Counter Strike to the massive number of AoO's your dealing out every time your attacked and/or hit, and you could really make people not wanna come at you.

Edit: Oh, and an item of that Book of Vile Darkness spell just to squeeze every bit out of it.

I usually dont allow my players to do barbarian and monk in the same build unless they can co me up with a damn good reason as to why they stepped so far across the alignment board. Even then there are sometimes penalties.

Robilars Gambit - get AoO
Karmic Strike - get AoO

Seclora
2013-07-29, 03:30 PM
Pain Mastery - http://dndtools.eu/feats/savage-species--47/pain-mastery--2115/

+2 Str for every 50 damage you take, lasts till the end of the encounter, stacks with itself.

Combine it with Karmic Strike and Robilars Gambit, then intentionally keep your AC low and pick up Fast Healing and the highest health you can.

Metahuman1
2013-07-29, 05:33 PM
I usually dont allow my players to do barbarian and monk in the same build unless they can co me up with a damn good reason as to why they stepped so far across the alignment board. Even then there are sometimes penalties.

Robilars Gambit - get AoO
Karmic Strike - get AoO

Consider that monk is a one level dip, and Barbarian a two level dip, and FB also a one level dip. Fluff one or the other as a part of your upbringing and call it even.

geekintheground
2013-07-29, 06:40 PM
sweet, thanks guys!

Fenryr
2013-07-29, 10:21 PM
There's an armor enhancement in Eberron that whenever an enemy hits you you gain +2 attack and damage against that very same enemy. In Pathfinder there's a trait that gives you +1 damage against someone who hit you in the last round.