PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to get tumble really high...

Deaxsa
2013-07-29, 03:18 PM
...and i don't have any feats/skillpoints/character advancement left to spend. i do, however, have a bunch of gold. so what are the most cost-effective items out there for increasing my tumble ranks? I'm trying to make the DC 40 tumble check to take a 10-foot step without even having to try, and am currently at +27 (with no magic item other than gloves of dex). I COULD pay 14,400 for boots of tumble +12, but i'm trying to lower the cost. So, playgrounders, what have you got for me?

Rebel7284
2013-07-29, 03:27 PM
5 ranks in jump? Oh wait, no skillpoints either.... hmmm

There is that cleric spell that gives +20 to a skill. Guidance of the Avatar?

ahenobarbi
2013-07-29, 03:31 PM
You can make the item limited it to a certain class(.7, DMG), have skill requirement (.9, DMG), bind a colossal elemental to it(.8, MoE), and make it out of Fey Cherry Wood(.9, Dr257) for total 14'400*0.4536 = 6531.84gp.

Deaxsa
2013-07-29, 03:41 PM
let me clarify: i'm a scout trying to proc his skirmish damage with a DC 40 tumble check. so getting a spell cast on me really isn't an option, i'm going to need the bonus to be passive, on all the time. btw ty for pointing out the synergy, i forgot i had that. so i guess i really only need a +10 bonus to tumble, at as cheap a cost as possible.

current body slots taken(not available): shirt(OR shoulder, whichever is more convenient), robe, ring/ring, neck, gloves.
currents slots available: Belt, face/eyes, head, shoulder or shirt, boots, bracers/wrist.

the less slots it takes up, the better. i might just go with the tumble boots for 10k, unless someone can point me to something better.

You can make the item limited it to a certain class(.7, DMG), have skill requirement (.9, DMG), bind a colossal elemental to it(.8, MoE), and make it out of Fey Cherry Wood(.9, Dr257) for total 14'400*0.4536 = 6531.84gp.

boots made of fey cherry wood? since when do clogs help you move around? :smalltongue:

(also, having a skill requirement for a skill bonus seems pretty cheesy, lol.)

but thanks, otherwise.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-29, 03:51 PM
Out of curiosity, how do you get your tumble that high without using magic items or skill points?

Deaxsa
2013-07-29, 04:38 PM
Out of curiosity, how do you get your tumble that high without using magic items or skill points?

no, i already spent my skillpoints haha. so i have max ranks in tumble, and an astronomical dex. (i get to-hit, damage, and ac from it, so it's kindof top priority for this character)

HalfQuart
2013-07-29, 06:22 PM
The Belt of Ultimate Athleticism from MIC lets you take 10 on Tumble checks (and Balance, Climb, Jump, and Swim checks). It requires a swift action to activate, though, but you can do it an unlimited number of times per day for 3,600gp. Acrobat Boots (MIC) are +2 competence bonus for 900gp..

Probably not worth it, but there's also the Skin of Nimbleness (MIC) for 15,000 for a +10 competence bonus.

Deaxsa
2013-07-29, 08:52 PM
The Belt of Ultimate Athleticism from MIC lets you take 10 on Tumble checks (and Balance, Climb, Jump, and Swim checks). It requires a swift action to activate, though, but you can do it an unlimited number of times per day for 3,600gp. Acrobat Boots (MIC) are +2 competence bonus for 900gp..

Probably not worth it, but there's also the Skin of Nimbleness (MIC) for 15,000 for a +10 competence bonus.

yea, the skin's not worth it, but i ended up getting the belt(don't use my swift actions for anything else) and boots of +4 tumble (i didn't have much gold left, spent most of it adding exit wounds to my crossbow)

i've got a different question, now: what are all the uses for tumble not listed in the SRD? I mean.. i have +35 tumble, and tumble is an awesome skill. is there a dc for getting up from prone as a free action, for instance?

HalfQuart
2013-07-29, 09:01 PM
Yeah, CAdv has additional rules for Tumble: DC 35 to stand up from prone as a free action (still provokes), decrease fall damage by 10'/15 check, and tumble while running at -20.

There are also skill tricks for tumble that let you stand from prone as an immediate action without provoking, and just standing from prone without provoking, or move through an enemy's space and make him flat-footed.

Grayson01
2013-07-29, 10:09 PM
Yeah I had a Rouge Assassin who had all three of those and Spot the Weekness oh and the one that hides your casting, all of those were a life saver on my Rouge Assassin.

Yeah, CAdv has additional rules for Tumble: DC 35 to stand up from prone as a free action (still provokes), decrease fall damage by 10'/15 check, and tumble while running at -20.

There are also skill tricks for tumble that let you stand from prone as an immediate action without provoking, and just standing from prone without provoking, or move through an enemy's space and make him flat-footed.

Darrin
2013-07-29, 10:45 PM
Mithral Tumbler's Breastplate (Races of Stone) is exotic armor that grants a +2 circumstance bonus to Tumble. Add Hellforged (DMGII) before mithral, and the ACP is reduced to zero. The non-proficiency penalty is equal to the ACP, so... you can skip the Exotic Armor Proficiency. 5450 GP.

Kammarth (Lords of Darkness p. 183). Magical drug, secondary effect is a +2 alchemical bonus to Dexterity "for the duration of the drug's effect", but I'm a bit fuzzy on how exactly long that would be.

Ziran (Lords of Darkness p. 185). Another drug, non-magical, but this one is highly addictive. Secodary effect is a +2 alchemical bonus to Dexterity for 1d3 hours.

Segev
2013-07-31, 03:24 PM
There are, in general, +2 mundane items for just about every skill, as well. If you don't have them, yet.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-31, 03:44 PM
i've got a different question, now: what are all the uses for tumble not listed in the SRD? I mean.. i have +35 tumble, and tumble is an awesome skill. is there a dc for getting up from prone as a free action, for instance?

You can find rules related to the Tumble skill in the following places: PH84, CAd 103, EL 44, RC 94, OA 58 that I know of. Mostly, the Rules Compendium stuff includes everything from PH and CAd. So it's really just the Epic stuff and Oriental stuff that's different.

There are also skill tricks that work off of tumble.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-31, 03:50 PM
There are, in general, +2 mundane items for just about every skill, as well. If you don't have them, yet.

What would the item for tumbling be?

Segev
2013-07-31, 04:00 PM
I'd be creative with it, because it really amounts to how you want to explain it. Could be clothes that are loose or tight in just the right ways to give proper freedom of movement, or it could be weighted arm-bands that help with the proper momentum, or even a specially balanced weapon or something that keeps them from getting in your way and lets you be more aggressive with the placement ofy our hands on the ground when working with it.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-31, 04:01 PM
What would the item for tumbling be?

Clothing that's specifically tailored to not restrict motion? A pair of boots with really good grip?
What kind of stuff do acrobats use in real life?

Cirrylius
2013-07-31, 04:11 PM
DC 40 tumble check to take a 10-foot step
Wait, that's a thing??

elonin
2013-07-31, 04:27 PM
Has the DM allowed epic skill use before epic?

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-31, 04:34 PM
Wait, that's a thing??

It's from Oriental Adventures "new uses for old skills" section, p.58.

elonin:
There's nothing epic about it except the checks being high. Even the stuff from the ELH doesn't require an epic character.
The only things that require an epic character are epic feats.

Vizzerdrix
2013-07-31, 06:03 PM
Wasn't their some sort of training dummy that would let you move 10 feet on a 5 foot step?

Menzath
2013-07-31, 07:22 PM
Oh yeah training dummy. 3.0 book arms and equipment guide.
Didn't it say something about having levels in monk or am I crazy?

Claudius Maximus
2013-07-31, 09:00 PM
Yes, you need to be a monk to use the dummy. Sufficiently high UMD can substitute for this as well.