PDA

View Full Version : Modifying races to lower LA

Yogibear41
2013-07-29, 03:29 PM
Hello all, I am currently looking for a way to drop Frost Dwarves(planar handbook) and half-giants from LA +1 to LA+0 races for a potential up and coming campaign.

For the half giants, I know I want to take away their bonus on saves against fire, and maybe replace it with just a flat cold resistance 5(they will all be descended from frost giants) and I had planned on just flat out removing all psionic related attributes from them(stomp bonus power points etc.) Would this be close enough to la 0? or do I also need to give them an additional penalty on a stat?

As far as the Frost Dwarves, the first thing I would remove is their spell like abilities, but thats also probably not enough to drop them to just la 0, what else should I remove, or what other stat penalties should I add on to balance them?

Urpriest
2013-07-29, 08:38 PM
For Half-Giants, there's a racial progression for them in Complete Psionic. The 0th level of the progression should be a suitable +0 LA race, though I'd be leery about giving them access to Primordial, and in general getting Powerful Build for LA +0 is supposed to be hard to do.

For a Frost Dwarf, you could probably get away with just removing the SLAs. I might remove their immunities as well, and maybe give them a -2 to Int to put them on par with the other high-Con race, Mongrelfolk.