PDA

View Full Version : The Impact on Tarquin's Plans

Giggling Ghast
2013-07-29, 04:12 PM
What does the demise of Malack have on Tarquin's plans to create three empires ruling the entire Western Continent? One of the major conspirators in that plan is now dead.

apenpaap
2013-07-29, 04:15 PM
He's got four other allies, and only needs two to control the other two empires (he can do the third himself). I'd say it's not going to affect his plans much; it'll just mean one of them will work in a group of one from now on.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-07-29, 04:16 PM
I still suspect that Tarquin left precisely to give Nale the opportunity to take out Malack, because Tarquin's loyalty ultimately is to his blood, rather than his friends.

If so, Tarquin believes he can maintain control without Malack.

Grey Wolf

Giggling Ghast
2013-07-29, 04:22 PM
Would he really put his own blood over the continuation of his plans, though? He was perfectly willing to let Malack kill Nale before.

Muenster Man
2013-07-29, 04:26 PM
Agreed. Tarquin certainly seems competent enough to rule his region by himself. I think he's hoping one of his sons, not just Elan, depose him at some point, but knows that he's still too high of a level so he still has time to unify the continent under his rule while one of them (or both) gets stronger. He probably would have been disappointed if Nale left without taking Malack out of the picture. Sure, Tarquin was friends enough with him as much as he can be with anyone, but we've seen how he treats his wives, why should his allies be any different? Think of this strip as training for Nale's Big Score, and he passed with flying colors. You know... as long as Durkon doesn't kill him, otherwise, this would be a huge waste for Tarquin.

Snails
2013-07-29, 04:34 PM
I still suspect that Tarquin left precisely to give Nale the opportunity to take out Malack, because Tarquin's loyalty ultimately is to his blood, rather than his friends.

Grey Wolf

Most likely. Nale was handed a fair shot of proving he is worthy of being considered his son, by prevailing against Malack. Malack getting snuffed in a fair fight keeps Tarquin's hands "clean".

deworde
2013-07-29, 04:34 PM
I suspect it was a test. Tarquin wanted to see if Nale would pick up on "Business".

Snails
2013-07-29, 04:38 PM
Would he really put his own blood over the continuation of his plans, though? He was perfectly willing to let Malack kill Nale before.

Tarquin is a master manipulator. He dangled his son in front of Malack in order to gain compliance from both Nale and Malack. It worked. Whether he would actually choose Malack over Nale is unknown, and we do not know it precisely because he was able to juggle them until they worked it out amongst themselves in the manner grown up malicious sociopaths are wont.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-07-29, 04:43 PM
Now you mention it. Why did Nale leave the group?
I think we don't know the reason, do we?

EDIT: I mean, Tarquin, why did he?

mhsmith
2013-07-29, 04:44 PM

Grey Wolf

Yeah, this seems fairly likely to me as well (lord knows it was obvious all along that Nale was in serious danger in this group, ESPECIALLY after he failed to secure the gate). Then again, it's reasonably possible that everyone simply underestimated Nale, given the near-constant failure of Nale's efforts over the years.

But if it WAS intentional, I'd question whether he'll regret it in the end. Helping a disloyal, nearly psychopathic family member who's probably going to try and murder you too soon strikes me as a less profitable path than siding with a long-time loyal ally. But we certainly haven't seen enough of Tarquin to really get all of his motivations (for instance, why he hasn't just sired a bunch of kids and gotten rid of the crazy and too often incompetent one).

Tebryn
2013-07-29, 04:45 PM
Now you mention it. Why did Nale leave the group?
I think we don't know the reason, do we?

We do. He left because he wanted to take control, fought for it and lost. He didn't -leave- the group. He fled it with his life on the line.

Henry the 57th
2013-07-29, 04:45 PM
Personally, I think he'll be thrilled that Nale actually accomplished something for once, and offer him Malack's old place in his plans. I doubt Nale would want that, but still.

Fish
2013-07-29, 04:49 PM
I still believe Tarquin will be disappointed in Nale. That seems to be the relationship they have; Nale is never good enough. Tarquin may say, "You've been plotting this since you were nine, really? Why didn't you finish it before now?"

Vinsfeld
2013-07-29, 05:10 PM
Tarquin will not get his bigass statue anymore.

Mike Havran
2013-07-29, 05:11 PM
The plan would need to change anyway. As you can see from #698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html), all nations in the vicinit of all three empires are now conquered (Reptilia remains, but that will be pretty easy - Tears declares attack and the Empress offers her protection to fellow lizards.

After that, they can't use the strategy anymore, so Tarquin may well have planned something without Malack, just in case it will be Nale who survives the showdown.

137beth
2013-07-29, 05:12 PM
I still believe Tarquin will be disappointed in Nale. That seems to be the relationship they have; Nale is never good enough. Tarquin may say, "You've been plotting this since you were nine, really? Why didn't you finish it before now?"

Now THAT would really piss off Nale. Of course, Tarquin would also probably assume that Nale has been plotting to kill Tarquin for a long time as well--at least since he left the EoB.

Rakoa
2013-07-29, 06:14 PM
Now THAT would really piss off Nale. Of course, Tarquin would also probably assume that Nale has been plotting to kill Tarquin for a long time as well--at least since he left the EoB.

But he definitely wouldn't be worried about it, and most likely, he is correct to have nothing to fear. A level 12 Cleric that can't handle a round in the sun, maybe, but not The Big T himself, Mr. Prepared for Anything. People have been saying that Malack isn't Batman. That would be because Tarquin is.

137beth
2013-07-29, 09:50 PM
But he definitely wouldn't be worried about it, and most likely, he is correct to have nothing to fear. A level 12 Cleric that can't handle a round in the sun, maybe, but not The Big T himself, Mr. Prepared for Anything. People have been saying that Malack isn't Batman. That would be because Tarquin is.

Well yea--I'd expect that he would have worried about it at some point, created several layers of contingency plans to deal with Nale, and then stopped worrying. Malack had several contingent plans too, but Tarquin will most likely have more, because that's how he works.

tomandtish
2013-07-29, 11:33 PM

So I guess Malack just became Jason Todd. So Nale would be Stephanie Brown? (In personality, not gender).

kxm
2013-07-30, 12:33 AM
I agree with the others who said that this is probably Tarquin's test for Nale. Even if it's not, Tarquin's not the type of guy to not have a contingency plan.