PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Level idea

Darkhope
2013-07-29, 04:46 PM
So I had a question about the Book of Eldritch Might for the campaign setting, The Scarred Lands (Sword and Sorcery). The Intelligent Item class section states an item can multi-class into other PC classes, they give an example of Rogue. I had an interesting concept I'm trying to work out without bending to many rules. A powerful wizard was crafting an item and accidentally fused himself into the item. My question is can the "Item" through use of spells and feats like Animate/Float, Image, and telikinetic hands; use his Craft feats? Can an intelligent item with wizard levels create a wondrous item for example? Now I know they don't get xp the traditional way through adventuring. But if given XP by people that wanted magic items created for base cost he could essentially, level by starting up a business of item creation. With proper feats and classes an epic item crafter can make a 1,000,000 GP market price item for 5,625 XP. If he charged someone who wanted this item crafted say 10,000 XP, he can create the item and pay the cost and gain 4,375 XP. Now intelligent items level up by donation and at 1/4 needed by regular characters. so to go from level 20 to 21 would only take 5,000 XP. Also, is there any rules stating the item can't dominate person/monster when they are touching the item to give the item all the experience they currently posses in their current level? Seems kind of broke, but its an NPC so I'll allow it :). Thanks for any help!

Darkhope

Darkhope
2013-07-30, 08:16 PM
shameless bump

No one thinks this is a cool idea? An item that crafts items and levels by doing it?

Grinner
2013-07-30, 08:20 PM
Can he cast spells?

If so, yes.

If not, no.

Darkhope
2013-07-30, 10:10 PM
of course he's a wizard... wasn't asking if he could cast spells though. Was asking if that concept bends or breaks the rules. Items making items and dominating targets to give them XP...

Grinner
2013-07-30, 10:36 PM
It has character levels and therefore is a character. It can cast spells and take item creation feats, thus meeting the prerequisites for magic item creation. Mechanically, it works just fine. The rules don't concern themselves with how much sense it makes.

As an aside, it's a little offbeat but perfectly workable otherwise.

Darkhope
2013-07-30, 11:36 PM
I thought so but wasn't sure. Thanks