PDA

View Full Version : never used a caster but am forced to be one

hoborobot
2013-07-29, 07:06 PM
i am currently lvl 3 mystic ranger/cloistered cleric (and a +1 lvl adj). i gained a feat that lets me cast as wizards do. i have no idea what to do or what spells are good. all i know is i need a spellbook. please help a newbie wizard out.

ArcturusV
2013-07-29, 07:22 PM
Well, one of the first things is to find out if you DM favors the "No" buttons to various effects. If your DM doesn't like using True Seeing, Mind Blank, etc, etc, etc, then as sort of half-caster, illusions like Silent Image, and enchantments like Charm Person can get your great mileage for level 1 spells.

Grease is another popular choice, there is basically never going to be a fight where Grease isn't useful. Least not likely for a long time.

But one of the problems with things like this, is you can't just ask "What is a good spell" because people will tell you something like Grease, or Silent Image, or Charm Person, etc, but you won't really know WHY they are a good spell. Or you won't use them optimally.

Your best bet is to read through them yourself, and figure it out based on some criteria, there's generally 4 categories I list for spells when I'm teaching someone how to go full spellslinger. And knowing these four categories, being able to read a spell, and throw them into a certain category will help you figure out what you need to take. Categories are ranked generally from Most Useful to Least Useful.

Category 1: These are spells that effectively negate an entire encounter/problem. Note this doesn't just mean "Kills a target outright", but also includes things like "instantly makes the Duke support your quest and open his vaults to you". Charm Person, Mindrape, Greater Invisibility, Divination, and spells like this end up in this category. Spells that, with but a single casting let you just say "nope" to something. This can even include Knock and Find Traps at second level spells, avoiding locked door sort of puzzles or the typical "Room of Deathtraps". So not all Category 1 spells are high level spells, they do exist at low levels.

Category 2: These are spells that can drastically alter an encounter in your favor, but don't necessarily end it. This could include things like Earthquake (You can just destroy a dungeon battle with it, if not kill everything you're up against), Walls of Force, Web, Solid Fog, etc. They tend to be area of effect spells which hamper a wide array of foes. If you can make it so every enemy within an area has to slow to a crawl to get at you, it's this sort of spell. Grease for example, is a low level spell of this category. Fly is a 3rd level example, and Wind Wall a second level example. Bless, Bane, and Darkness can also be low level versions of this,

Category 3: These are spells that negate singular obstacles in an encounter. Ray of Enfeeblement would be one, if you can significantly strength drain a target (Possibly into a helpless state), or Ray of Stupidity someone into being unable to cast spells at you. As well it covers spells like Enervation, Slay Living, Mindrape, etc. These are good spells that will basically let you pick someone, usually one of the biggest, baddest guys in a fight, and say "Sucks to be you" and just take him completely out of being a threat.

Category 4: These are "Put the boot in" spells. They allow you to take out a target that has already been weakened in some way or are good finishers. Finishers though are also something you could have done by just firing crossbow bolts, or letting Fighter McSwordington go hacking at it. So it's usually a low priority because you're not doing anything that someone else couldn't be doing. Magic Missile is a quintessential example of this. True Strike is also another low level one. Launch Bolt, a cantrip version. It also includes higher level stuff like Lightning Bolt, Meteor Swarm, Fireball, etc. It is useful to have some of these spells, even though they are the "worst" option, because sometimes.... you just need to be able to drop 5d6 damage on a group of enemies to win a fight. It happens. But it shouldn't really be your primary loadout unless you have something specific in mind for it.

Sith_Happens
2013-07-29, 07:58 PM
How'd you get a feat against your will, anyways?:smallconfused:

hoborobot
2013-07-29, 08:21 PM

which one?

Alex12
2013-07-29, 08:21 PM

That's not exactly what happened. I'm playing in his group (I'm the Dvati swordsader going for Master of 9- the DM said we all get LA +1 races)
He wanted to play a sniper with a high-powered bow. This feat is what will allow him to put Explosive Runes on his arrows.
He's free not to take the feat.

Snowbluff
2013-07-29, 08:25 PM
please help a newbie wizard out.
I find this funny because this pretty much describes what a Mystic Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order is...

The Magical Training Feat gives you a spellbook.

Or go punch a level 1 wizard in the face for one. It's kind of Risky but you have better skills, BaB, and saves.

In the meantime, you have 2nd level ranger spell. Lets see here... Summon Nature's Ally II might help.

Urpriest
2013-07-29, 08:31 PM
If it's too complicated for you, then play something different. By the sound of it, nobody's forcing you to do anything, and our advice can only go so far.

Sith_Happens
2013-07-29, 10:06 PM
which one?

Sword of the Arcane Order. You make it sound like you just sort of received the feat instead of choosing it yourself. Although apparently it's more like it was recommended to you.

hoborobot
2013-07-30, 05:50 PM
Sword of the Arcane Order. You make it sound like you just sort of received the feat instead of choosing it yourself. Although apparently it's more like it was recommended to you.

it was recommended to me and i wanted to use it, its just i want to be able to sometimes help out my party with a spell sometimes.

nedz
2013-07-30, 06:20 PM
i am currently lvl 3 mystic ranger/cloistered cleric (and a +1 lvl adj). i gained a feat that lets me cast as wizards do. i have no idea what to do or what spells are good. all i know is i need a spellbook. please help a newbie wizard out.

Are you mystic ranger 1 / cloistered cleric 1 ? or is this a gestalt mystic ranger 3 / cloistered cleric 3 ?
It's generally better to just have the one spell casting class, unless you are playing gestalt ? Since these are both divine casters you can't even theurge them.

hoborobot
2013-07-30, 06:34 PM
Are you mystic ranger 1 / cloistered cleric 1 ? or is this a gestalt mystic ranger 3 / cloistered cleric 3 ?
It's generally better to just have the one spell casting class, unless you are playing gestalt ? Since these are both divine casters you can't even theurge them.

i took one level of cl cleric so i can have knowledge devotion, law devotion and animal devotion. and i am 3 lvls of mystic ranger/1 cl cleric.

Renen
2013-07-30, 07:55 PM
i wanted to use it,

am forced to be one

Wait... what?

hoborobot
2013-07-30, 09:23 PM
i geuss i mistyped. im not forced to do anything, it was recommended to me, and i picked. i mean common, arrows wrapped with explosive runes? doesnt that sound soo cool (and apparently deadly). i just wanted to know how wizard progresion goes and if i could have party helping/debuffing spells that are not explosive runes.