PDA

View Full Version : If the Hulk was a ballerina

Werephilosopher
2013-07-29, 07:29 PM
My new character I'm working on is an Obah-Blessed Half-Giant. He's got 6 arms, and is basically a dancing Hulk, tumbling around the battlefield pummeling people with (sonically-enhanced) fists. I'm trying to find decent maneuvers and stances for him from ToB.

Class levels are Battledancer 1/Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Fist of the Forest 1/Sonokineticist 2/Unarmed Swordsage 3. BD, FotF, and SS grant him Cha, Con, and Wis respectively to AC. Lion Totem Barbarian for Pounce, Fighter for teh feats, Sono for sonic fists. I'm only interested in/planning for the level 10 mark, but ideas for later class levels are appreciated.

If I'm calculating initiator levels right, he will have 6 maneuvers and 1 stance at level 1 or 2, and 2 maneuvers and 1 stance at level 1, 2 or 3. So what does everyone think they should be? What styles go well for a dancing Hulk?

limejuicepowder
2013-07-29, 08:13 PM
Hmm.

Well diamond mind is one of the strongest schools, though it's the least dip-friendly. Many of it's good maneuvers required significant investment in concentration, something non-casters won't bother with. So unless you plan on maxing out conc just for this, you can pretty much ignore this school.

Tiger claw has a lot of TWF stuff, which I assume you're doing. I'd definitely pick up some of the "strike with both weapons" maneuvers so you're not so gimped when you can't full attack or charge (it's going to happen more than you want).

After that, I recommend the reaction and utility maneuvers. Counter charge can save you from another charger. Shadow jaunt is just awesome. Mountain hammer has some good OOC application. Cloak of deception can be useful for quick hide or attack attempts. Sudden leap gives some swift action movement, though it requires investment in jump.

For stances, I'd go for hunter's stance for scent. It's pretty helpful to have an extra sense to detect hidden enemies, and it's even better if you can track. Assassin's stance is pretty strong for a TWF, so I'd take that for the 3rd level. Dance of the spider can also be very useful - I'd strongly consider it if there's isn't an arcane caster in the party.

Werephilosopher
2013-07-31, 09:18 PM
Thanks! That's really helpful. I chose Leaping Dragon over Assassin's Stance though; I'm not really going to be focusing on denying Dex to AC, mostly just wading in and jumping around enemies in melee. Plus I think it synergizes with my other abilities.

navar100
2013-07-31, 11:34 PM
http://s19.postimg.org/8wcenr35v/hulkballerina.png (http://postimage.org/)

DeusMortuusEst
2013-08-01, 12:35 AM
I thought this thread would be about a giant bard with Snowflake wardance and now I want to play one.

Props for the idea! Don't have much to say about your build, it looks good as far as I can tell, but I don't know anything about Sonokineticist.

SowZ
2013-08-01, 01:32 AM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/0/7884/921008-170555_112_spiral.jpg

Eh? Eeeeehhh?

On a serious note, the feat tax is pretty high for FotF. Will you have enough? You can free up one feat by going with City Brawler Barbarian Variant. It is compatible with Spirit Lion Totem. Also, Whirling Frenzy Barbarian. The Dex bonus and extra attack work with a dancing fighter, I think.

Werephilosopher
2013-08-01, 11:55 AM
Ooh, pictures! :smallsmile:

I thought this thread would be about a giant bard with Snowflake wardance and now I want to play one.

Props for the idea! Don't have much to say about your build, it looks good as far as I can tell, but I don't know anything about Sonokineticist.

I didn't even know Snowflake Wardance was a thing! That would be perfect if I used slashing weapons. Sonokineticist is just dipped because it adds sonic damage to unarmed strikes- it's actually an adaptation of the Pyrokineticist from Expanded Psionics.

On a serious note, the feat tax is pretty high for FotF. Will you have enough? You can free up one feat by going with City Brawler Barbarian Variant. It is compatible with Spirit Lion Totem. Also, Whirling Frenzy Barbarian. The Dex bonus and extra attack work with a dancing fighter, I think.

I'll have to take a look at those. Right now I have enough feats using flaws, but it would help to reduce those of course.

SowZ
2013-08-01, 11:59 AM
Ooh, pictures! :smallsmile:

I didn't even know Snowflake Wardance was a thing! That would be perfect if I used slashing weapons. Sonokineticist is just dipped because it adds sonic damage to unarmed strikes- it's actually an adaptation of the Pyrokineticist from Expanded Psionics.

I'll have to take a look at those. Right now I have enough feats using flaws, but it would help to reduce those of course.

City Brawler Barbarian basically trades some skills out and then you get improved unarmed strike instead of martial weapon proficiency.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-01, 01:39 PM
http://s19.postimg.org/8wcenr35v/hulkballerina.png (http://postimage.org/)
This is perfect.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-01, 01:51 PM
Sounds like a job for versatile unarmed strike. You can deal slashing damage with your unarmed strikes that way.

SowZ
2013-08-01, 02:39 PM
Sounds like a job for versatile unarmed strike. You can deal slashing damage with your unarmed strikes that way.

Bludg., piercing, or slashing to be precise.