PDA

View Full Version : Simple cohorts for a Thrallherd

molten_dragon
2013-07-29, 07:29 PM
My group is getting ready for another campaign fairly soon, and I've been thinking about characters.

The DM (my wife) told me it will be relatively high powered and go clear to level 20. However, she also asked if I can try not to play anything too overpowered, since I'm the best optimizer of the group and she doesn't want me to overshadow the others.

After thinking about it for awhile, I decided on a thrallherd. It should be fairly powerful, but I've only ever dabbled in the psionics rules before, so I don't know them well enough to powergame too badly. I asked her about it, explained what it was, and she said that she was okay with it as long as my thralls weren't taking up too much table time.

So I want a pair of thralls that is decent to adventure with, since they're my main class feature as a thrallherd and I don't want them to be useless, but I also want something relatively simple to play/build. A non-spellcaster is pretty much a must.

I was thinking about maybe a melee character and a ranged damage character. Possibly something like a barbarian and ranger. Or a warblade and some other kind of archer.

Any better suggestions?

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-29, 08:00 PM
A simple, unoptimized warlock is pretty easy to play. Their tactics change little, their toolbox is pretty set and not very large, yet they are flavorful and dynamic enough that they can hack more than one role in the party in an emergency (some stealth or face invocations can add to the core blastey-blaster concept). The main usefulness, too, is that you don't often have to panic over the warlock biting it, since they can maintain good distance and have a number of nifty escape or BFC invocations that can cover their own ass.

On another front, for the higher-level thrall, I'd go for something befitting the power-level later in the campaign, but still soaking up little time. One of the ToB classes would be nice, since many of the good maneuvers are standard actions and don't need many rolls to execute. A nice Bloodstorm Blade as back-row mundane damage dealer might work.

There are many options in this vein. I think you might be served from a bit of "form follows fluff"; come up with a strong story for your character and their flavor of thrallherd-ness, and from there it might be more obvious which kind of cohort to pick. Will the character be the diplomancer of thrallherds? The behind-the-scenes manipulator? Is the character just a brave person with a just cause, whose natural magnetism draws fawning crowds? Once the main character is down, you can dovetail it with a devoted follower.

molten_dragon
2013-07-29, 08:06 PM
A simple, unoptimized warlock is pretty easy to play. Their tactics change little, their toolbox is pretty set and not very large, yet they are flavorful and dynamic enough that they can hack more than one role in the party in an emergency (some stealth or face invocations can add to the core blastey-blaster concept). The main usefulness, too, is that you don't often have to panic over the warlock biting it, since they can maintain good distance and have a number of nifty escape or BFC invocations that can cover their own ass.

On another front, for the higher-level thrall, I'd go for something befitting the power-level later in the campaign, but still soaking up little time. One of the ToB classes would be nice, since many of the good maneuvers are standard actions and don't need many rolls to execute. A nice Bloodstorm Blade as back-row mundane damage dealer might work.

There are many options in this vein. I think you might be served from a bit of "form follows fluff"; come up with a strong story for your character and their flavor of thrallherd-ness, and from there it might be more obvious which kind of cohort to pick. Will the character be the diplomancer of thrallherds? The behind-the-scenes manipulator? Is the character just a brave person with a just cause, whose natural magnetism draws fawning crowds? Once the main character is down, you can dovetail it with a devoted follower.

Well, it's going to be an evil campaign where we're trying to stage a coup in a good kingdom and become its rulers ourselves (we're doing Way of the Wicked). I'm thinking the 'power behind the throne' manipulator type of character will fit in very well. Essentially, he can't stand not being in control of everything, and that includes people.

His thralls will probably also be attractive women who he uses for sex, whether they want to or not, since it will add a nice evil flair to the character.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-29, 08:16 PM
Well, it's going to be an evil campaign where we're trying to stage a coup in a good kingdom and become its rulers ourselves (we're doing Way of the Wicked). I'm thinking the 'power behind the throne' manipulator type of character will fit in very well. Essentially, he can't stand not being in control of everything, and that includes people.

His thralls will probably also be attractive women who he uses for sex, whether they want to or not, since it will add a nice evil flair to the character.

Then I second the warlock idea. Although the fluff in the book would indicate a highly rebellious attitude, this need not be true of every warlock. In particular, the thrall status pretty much says willing slave, so for whatever reason the red-headed, hellishly misbehaved warlock chick with a taste for violence likes the character. Quite a lot. Six or seven times a night, if you get my drift.:smallwink:

Could be an interesting concept, and lacks a lot of the contingent damage-dealing of a number of other ranged concepts (especially a high-level).

For the melee...wow. So the warlock is the fire in the relationship-dynamic. So now we need the ice. I'd suggest a tall, beautiful blonde with a cold mind and will of steel. Give her a weapon and armour, call her a warblade. She literally worships the ideal of the character, and would die in his cause (whereas the warlock is more along for the fun of it all).

Sith_Happens
2013-07-29, 10:11 PM
For the melee...wow. So the warlock is the fire in the relationship-dynamic. So now we need the ice. I'd suggest a tall, beautiful blonde with a cold mind and will of steel. Give her a weapon and armour, call her a warblade. She literally worships the ideal of the character, and would die in his cause (whereas the warlock is more along for the fun of it all).

I say make her a lockdown Crusader and use her as your bodyguard. Saves you PP on defenses vs. being stabbed, has a nice style factor to it, and the spiked chain has all kinds of uses besides just fighting.:smallwink::smalleek:

molten_dragon
2013-07-30, 06:18 AM
Then I second the warlock idea. Although the fluff in the book would indicate a highly rebellious attitude, this need not be true of every warlock. In particular, the thrall status pretty much says willing slave, so for whatever reason the red-headed, hellishly misbehaved warlock chick with a taste for violence likes the character. Quite a lot. Six or seven times a night, if you get my drift.:smallwink:

Could be an interesting concept, and lacks a lot of the contingent damage-dealing of a number of other ranged concepts (especially a high-level).

I do like the Warlock idea. It would be simple enough to run quickly if I needed to (just eldritch blast stuff), but I would have a few utility abilities if I needed them. And it would be hard to argue with the warlock being overpowered.

molten_dragon
2013-07-30, 06:19 AM
I say make her a lockdown Crusader and use her as your bodyguard. Saves you PP on defenses vs. being stabbed, has a nice style factor to it, and the spiked chain has all kinds of uses besides just fighting.:smallwink::smalleek:

I kind of like the lockdown crusader idea too.

Psyren
2013-07-30, 08:39 AM
Seconding warlock - in addition to their ease of play, you can use him to craft nearly any item you could possibly want. Get him a Chameleon dip for the floating feat.

Segev
2013-07-30, 11:07 AM
Have you considered the benefits of the legitimate heir to the throne as one of your Thralls or even a Believer?

molten_dragon
2013-07-30, 04:20 PM
Have you considered the benefits of the legitimate heir to the throne as one of your Thralls or even a Believer?

I'm guessing that the DM won't allow that.

Psyren
2013-07-30, 04:23 PM
Just as with the Leadership feat, a Thrallherd can "try to attract" a follower with a particular race, class or alignment. However, it is up to the DM what you actually get, and when.

Malroth
2013-07-30, 04:26 PM
maybe the king's idiot cousin, not directly in line for the throne but with enough EVIL(tm) could be made into a viable puppet