PDA

View Full Version : Fun uses for 100,000+ gold at level 21

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 08:38 PM
So, after caving in to using a little Thought Bottle abuse for some cheap Wishes, I recouped the 137,500 gold I had originally spent on a +5 Tome. I've already used plenty of cost-saving devices, so I feel as though I'm running out of things to buy. I've covered everything on the List of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851), much of Shax's Haversack (and I'm going to make great use of Shapesand and Chaos Flasks to patch the holes), I've taken Landlord and built a sizable flying fortress, some nice armor and a decent enough weapon (primary spellcaster, so I don't really need it), and I've paid in to all the magical locations for bonus feats. As far as specific item slots, I have an Amulet of Second Chances, an Admiral's Bicorne, a Ring of X-Ray Vision, Gloves of Object Reading, and a Battle Belt. As you can see, a lot of those are cheap and could be stacked with other things if need be.

So, what else should I buy? I really like niche things that can end up being critically useful in the peculiar circumstances that call for them. It's the reason I've bought some fine wines and 20 lbs of bacon, a pair of Rods of Ropes, Universal Keys, etc. What are some of your favorite items, that you don't hear mentioned all that often but would never play a high level campaign without?

Noneoyabizzness
2013-07-29, 08:41 PM
buy a small town, begin an empire

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 08:59 PM
buy a small town, begin an empire

With obscenely high Cha and Epic Leadership, I already have a legion of followers. I should figure out just how many, actually...

EDIT: I have, of the listed levels:
1st 2100 2nd 210 3rd 105 4th 53 5th 27 6th 14 7th 7 8th 4 9th 2 10th 1. Those followers can be of any class. But I have an additional
1st 2500 2nd 250 3rd 125 4th 62 5th 31 6th 15 7th 8 8th 4 9th 2 10th 1 11th 1 followers with at least one level of Bard or Rogue. Over 5000 followers. Not half bad. Imagine getting Legendary Commander and having over 50000 followers. What do you do with 50000 followers?

Malroth
2013-07-29, 09:02 PM
a couple Epic spells

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 09:10 PM
a couple Epic spells

Ha, you don't cut as many economic costs as I have without acknowledging that you can research any Epic Spell for free. Especially if you have potentially 5000 followers contributing spell slots to the casting of it, mitigating that cost. But it's a moot point because my DM doesn't want Epic Spells, since he worries they'll get too out of hand.

Matticussama
2013-07-29, 09:18 PM
With obscenely high Cha and Epic Leadership, I already have a legion of followers. I should figure out just how many, actually...

EDIT: I have, of the listed levels:
1st 2100 2nd 210 3rd 105 4th 53 5th 27 6th 14 7th 7 8th 4 9th 2 10th 1. Those followers can be of any class. But I have an additional
1st 2500 2nd 250 3rd 125 4th 62 5th 31 6th 15 7th 8 8th 4 9th 2 10th 1 11th 1 followers with at least one level of Bard or Rogue. Over 5000 followers. Not half bad. Imagine getting Legendary Commander and having over 50000 followers. What do you do with 50000 followers?

Use them to form your own city. Use Stronghold Builder's Guide to use that money to price building the city; lots of standard stone and thatch buildings, along with some military facilities. Your followers don't all have to be soldiers; they can also be miners, craftsmen, etc. Get enough of them to be farmers who can provide both mundane foods as well as plant crafting supplies, while others can be miners to obtain metals and other rare minerals. Get experts who can use those plants and metals to craft. Then, not only can you build up an economy, but you can also have those crafters supply all of the materials for your army.

You could either keep expanding by yourself or convince your other party members to join up by taking leadership and providing more people for your growing Empire.

Rubik
2013-07-29, 09:26 PM
A psychoactive skin of proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus). The only thing more flexible and useful in more situations than a psychoactive skin of proteus is two psychoactive skins of proteus.

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 09:26 PM
Use them to form your own city. Use Stronghold Builder's Guide to use that money to price building the city; lots of standard stone and thatch buildings, along with some military facilities. Your followers don't all have to be soldiers; they can also be miners, craftsmen, etc. Get enough of them to be farmers who can provide both mundane foods as well as plant crafting supplies, while others can be miners to obtain metals and other rare minerals. Get experts who can use those plants and metals to craft. Then, not only can you build up an economy, but you can also have those crafters supply all of the materials for your army.

You could either keep expanding by yourself or convince your other party members to join up by taking leadership and providing more people for your growing Empire.

Actually my character is a House Lyrandar Airship pilot, with Windwright Captain and everything, so Landlord went toward pimping out the ship. I don't think I'll have all my followers in one city, or even one continent, but instead I'll scatter them around different ports and have some sort of great trade empire. Even though I don't really know how that works and what to do with it. The campaign plot is going to be "Dragons from a parallel Material Plane invade and wreck stuff" so the DM wanted us to have some attachment to the world (as opposed to saying "Hehe, have fun, I'mma Plane Shift to Ysgard till this cools down") and this way I'll have that attachment, without having a centralized population which a dragon can nuke while I'm not around. I'll leave those fifteen level 8-11 followers in charge of most of the branches, and it'll basically just give me a reason to have connections everywhere we go.

In that vein though, anything vaguely Captain-y is also good for spending that 100k. I've gotten an Admiral's Bicorne, Magnificent Captain's Coat, Greater Gate Compass, and even a Spyglass. But not one of those living figureheads cuz they're dumb.

EDIT:
A psychoactive skin of proteus. The only thing more flexible and useful in more situations than a psychoactive skin of proteus is two psychoactive skins of proteus.
I dooooo have Persisted Shapechange. Which I think beats the Skin of Proteus? Unless you know of uses for the skin that Shapechange can't imitate. Any why would two Skins be better than one?

Rubik
2013-07-29, 09:36 PM
EDIT:
I dooooo have Persisted Shapechange. Which I think beats the Skin of Proteus? Unless you know of uses for the skin that Shapechange can't imitate. Any why would two Skins be better than one?Unless I'm mistaken, even Shapechange can't turn you into an object. Constructs a la animated objects, yes, but not objects.

And two is always better than one.

Unless it's Paris Hilton twins. Then it's time to run.

[edit] Also, you can give one to a minion. It's even good on a familiar or psicrystal. Maybe not so good on an animal companion, but it's still good.

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 09:43 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, even Shapechange can't turn you into an object. Constructs a la animated objects, yes, but not objects.

Hmm, I guess not. But I don't know if being able to turn into an object is worth 84,000 gold, if I could use Polymorph Any Object (or Shapechange into an Animated Object, like you said) for a similar effect. Then again, it doesn't seem to list a size for the object from the Skin, so that's pretty good.

But I really don't see how two is useful in any way. Like it doesn't save action economy or anything, to my knowledge.

Renen
2013-07-29, 09:43 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, even Shapechange can't turn you into an object. Constructs a la animated objects, yes, but not objects.

And unless im wrong, you cant dispell the skin of proteus.

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 09:47 PM
And unless im wrong, you cant dispell the skin of proteus.

Well, you could target it with a Dispel and render it inactive for 1d4 rounds, probably, right? If the opponent knew it was there.

And I sort of misspoke, I once had Persistent Shapechange, but then boosted my CL to 43, so now a single casting lasts most of the day, so if it's Dispelled I can deal with that.

Not to mention that I'm a high level caster. I have means of dealing with Dispel, not least of which is my darling cohort who is a beastly Counterspeller.

Rubik
2013-07-29, 10:05 PM
You should buy the materials needed to permanently merge with a hagunemnon so you can get constant (Ex) Shapechange x5.

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 10:23 PM
You should buy the materials needed to permanently merge with a hagunemnon so you can get constant (Ex) Shapechange x5.

I don't even know what that means. Could I get some serious suggestions, please?

Rubik
2013-07-29, 10:28 PM
I don't even know what that means. Could I get some serious suggestions, please?Buy a scroll of Gate (so you don't have to expend the XP) and two power stones. One of Fusion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fusion.htm) and one of Astral Seed. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm) Gate in a hagunemnon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/hagunemnon.htm) and Fusion with it. While Fusion'd, use Astral Seed, then kill yourself. When you come back, you'll have all the best abilities of both yourself and the hagunemnon, including (Ex) Shapechange (mixing and matching up to five creatures, and since you're in the mix as well, you have a stable form -- that of your original body). Much better than the spell, and arguably the most potent ability in the game other than the sarruhk's Manipulate Form ability.

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 10:31 PM
Buy a scroll of Gate (so you don't have to expend the XP) and two power stones. One of Fusion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fusion.htm) and one of Astral Seed. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm) Gate in a hagunemnon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/hagunemnon.htm) and Fusion with it. While Fusion'd, use Astral Seed, then kill yourself. When you come back, you'll have all the best abilities of both yourself and the hagunemnon, including (Ex) Shapechange (mixing and matching up to five creatures, and since you're in the mix as well, you have a stable form -- that of your original body). Much better than the spell, and arguably the most potent ability in the game other than the sarruhk's Manipulate Form ability.

Oh for Pete's sake, not this again. I'm sick of every suggestion for improving high level characters involving things like Gate, Astral Seed, Fusion, etc. Ice Assassin and Genesis rank up there. For a game revolving around creativity, there seems to be such a lack of it when it comes to "what characters should do in low Epic."

Rubik
2013-07-29, 10:34 PM
Oh for Pete's sake, not this again. I'm sick of every suggestion for improving high level characters involving things like Gate, Astral Seed, Fusion, etc. Ice Assassin and Genesis rank up there. For a game revolving around creativity, there seems to be such a lack of it when it comes to "what characters should do in low Epic."It's epic. You're supposed to be broken.

Also, feel free to Shapechange into a hagunemnon and use that ability. The only real difference is that you're dispellable.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-29, 10:42 PM
do you have an item of continuous/on-command prestidigitation?

You could buy some "small" craft that your trade empire uses (and talk with you dm to see about income from this trade empire)

Nettlekid
2013-07-29, 11:44 PM
do you have an item of continuous/on-command prestidigitation?

You could buy some "small" craft that your trade empire uses (and talk with you dm to see about income from this trade empire)

Craft like merchant vessel, or craft like creation? Because I've got an awesome House Lyrandar Airship.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-29, 11:58 PM
Craft like merchant vessel, or craft like creation? Because I've got an awesome House Lyrandar Airship.

vessel.

What trade empire only uses one ship?

Rubik
2013-07-29, 11:59 PM
How about an army of Awakened cats with collars of purpetual attendance?

Telonius
2013-07-30, 12:01 AM
Actually my character is a House Lyrandar Airship pilot, with Windwright Captain and everything, so Landlord went toward pimping out the ship. I don't think I'll have all my followers in one city, or even one continent, but instead I'll scatter them around different ports and have some sort of great trade empire. Even though I don't really know how that works and what to do with it.
In that vein though, anything vaguely Captain-y is also good for spending that 100k. I've gotten an Admiral's Bicorne, Magnificent Captain's Coat, Greater Gate Compass, and even a Spyglass. But not one of those living figureheads cuz they're dumb.

Spend the rest of the money on attracting a college of Artificers aboard your main Airship (all the better to keep them under close observation), and build other ships to aid in its defense. Secure in your airship base, forge order in Europa Khorvaire and rule it with an iron fist. No negotiating, no promises, no second chances. :smallcool:

Rubik
2013-07-30, 12:10 AM
Spend the rest of the money on attracting a college of Artificers aboard your main Airship (all the better to keep them under close observation), and build other ships to aid in its defense. Secure in your airship base, forge order in Europa Khorvaire and rule it with an iron fist. No negotiating, no promises, no second chances. :smallcool:He's apparently a mind flayer. He must rule with an iron tentacle.

Nettlekid
2013-07-30, 12:10 AM
vessel.

What trade empire only uses one ship?

One with a high level caster who can teleport where he wants to go, and where the ship can teleport/plane shift too? But you're right, I could use more. I just don't want to fork over 92k for every airship. Are there smaller versions?

How about an army of Awakened cats with collars of purpetual attendance?

Hmm, why the cats? I've got Servant Horde as a spell already (mainly to hold up my staves while I pose so I look cool), but if the cats have a purrpose then I'm all ears.

Spend the rest of the money on attracting a college of Artificers aboard your main Airship (all the better to keep them under close observation), and build other ships to aid in its defense. Secure in your airship base, forge order in Europa Khorvaire and rule it with an iron fist. No negotiating, no promises, no second chances. :smallcool:

Hmm, what level would the Artificers have to be? Or, what would make a good guideline? Because I can get a few level 10 Artificers with Leadership already.

By the way, I should have mentioned, my Cohort has levels in Dweomerkeeper and so with Miracle, she can Su Spell most things. Which includes stuff like a Permanencied Rary's Telepathic Bond, or other useful things like that. In case it's useful.

Rubik
2013-07-30, 12:28 AM
Hmm, why the cats? I've got Servant Horde as a spell already (mainly to hold up my staves while I pose so I look cool), but if the cats have a purrpose then I'm all ears.You would be the terror of commoners and low-level wizards everywhere.

Plus, you know, army of cats. And at your level you can afford to do things just because.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyEqvpixkug

Vaz
2013-07-30, 02:41 AM
Scroll of wall of salt. Open a salt mine. Undercut competitors, force them out of business. Buy their mines. Own the monopoly. Move into other business practises that you can easioy ship with your airship. Own eberron within a couple of months.

Endarire
2013-07-30, 04:29 AM
Choke 137,000 Commoners. Toilet seats (http://www.at40.com/news-article/report-kim-and-kanye-spent-almost-1-million-on-gold-plated-toilet-seats/26400).

More specifically, what do you most want or need?

Nettlekid
2013-07-30, 01:24 PM
More specifically, what do you most want or need?

Just kind of useful things, things that will augment either my power or utility as a spellcaster/skillmonkey, peculiar magic items from obscure books that could come up as a useful tool in precarious situations, things like that. The campaign is going to be based on Xorvintaal from MMV, so there's going to be a lot of dragonslaying and dragon diplomacy, so anything that might be useful for those purposes would be welcome.

doko239
2013-07-30, 01:36 PM
I say, melt it down and make it into a statue of yourself

EyethatBinds
2013-07-30, 01:47 PM
Just kind of useful things, things that will augment either my power or utility as a spellcaster/skillmonkey, peculiar magic items from obscure books that could come up as a useful tool in precarious situations, things like that.

Get five spell storing, returning +1 daggers. If you take quick draw you can stab yourself with them and put 5 buffs onto yourself with a full attack action. I normally suggest mage armor, invisibility, cat's grace, blur, and cure serious (to heal the damage). But since you can throw them too, you can use them to deliver spells at range for almost nothing.

Nettlekid
2013-07-30, 01:56 PM
Get five spell storing, returning +1 daggers. If you take quick draw you can stab yourself with them and put 5 buffs onto yourself with a full attack action. I normally suggest mage armor, invisibility, cat's grace, blur, and cure serious (to heal the damage). But since you can throw them too, you can use them to deliver spells at range for almost nothing.

That's not a bad idea, but I'm totally set with regard to buffs. My caster level is so high that anything with a duration of 10 minutes/level lasts the full 8 hour adventuring day, and I can just refresh anything with a duration of 1 minute/level every 44 minutes. Because I'm a War Weaver, it's not a great drain on slots to refresh those for the whole party, and also thanks to Quiescent Weave I can store 4 buffs with a round/level duration to drop as a move action to my whole party. So I don't really need the spell storing daggers to get my buffs up. But it's a good thought.

EyethatBinds
2013-07-30, 02:01 PM
While true, do you really want to waste spell slots on minor buffs? Especially when you can just store them in the daggers during downtime?

Nettlekid
2013-07-30, 02:11 PM
While true, do you really want to waste spell slots on minor buffs? Especially when you can just store them in the daggers during downtime?

Well truthfully, I lied a little when I said spell slots, since most of my spells are stored in staffs that I got for incredibly cheap, since they all only have one charge, and I cheese out Unfettered Heroism with Wand Surge to get one spell for free each round. If I NEED more than that I can burn my slots with Channel Charge, or cast the spell myself, but as far as buffs go the 1/round is fine.

Rubik
2013-07-30, 04:01 PM
How about a thought bottle, a rod with multiple metamagic feats tied to it (and since it's a single rod, you can stack all the metapsionics you like, for free, 3/day), a glove of the master strategist, two boot blades (one warning and one eager), a belt of magnificence, arms of the naga (for an extra pair of arms), warforged arms graft (for a third pair), a bunch of clasps of safeguarding (to protect against Disjunction), a decanter of endless barbecue sauce, a sanctified enveloping pit (see BoED) and a dedicated wright, a bunch of dust of sneezing and choking, some glyph seals, a Heward's fortifying bedroll, a Heward's handy haversack stacked on a possum pouch, a kiira n'vaelahr stacked on a dukar hand coral, a lyre of building, a couple of mirrors of opposition, a karma prayer bead, some Qaal's feather tokens (see: tree), some ring gates and planar ring gates, a shrink collar and titanic warbeast rat, some rods of cancellation, and some resetting traps or spell clocks or spell turrets of various useful spells?

Choose one or several, at your leisure.

Nettlekid
2013-07-30, 04:48 PM
How about a thought bottle, a rod with multiple metamagic feats tied to it (and since it's a single rod, you can stack all the metapsionics you like, for free, 3/day), a glove of the master strategist, two boot blades (one warning and one eager), a belt of magnificence, arms of the naga (for an extra pair of arms), warforged arms graft (for a third pair), a bunch of clasps of safeguarding (to protect against Disjunction), a decanter of endless barbecue sauce, a sanctified enveloping pit (see BoED) and a dedicated wright, a bunch of dust of sneezing and choking, some glyph seals, a Heward's fortifying bedroll, a Heward's handy haversack stacked on a possum pouch, a kiira n'vaelahr stacked on a dukar hand coral, a lyre of building, a couple of mirrors of opposition, a karma prayer bead, some Qaal's feather tokens (see: tree), some ring gates and planar ring gates, a shrink collar and titanic warbeast rat, some rods of cancellation, and some resetting traps or spell clocks or spell turrets of various useful spells?

Choose one or several, at your leisure.

Ahh, finally, some interesting suggestions.
Already got a Thought Bottle.
Hmm, Metamagic Rod might be worth it. I could certainly find use for something like Chain or Twin (is there a rod of Twin?)
Glove of the Master Strategist is neat, but not essential to the character. Still, cheap enough that I could throw it in later.
Could do the boot blades, but I don't need much more initiative.
No need for Belt of Magnificence, since I have Chasing Perfection and Ability Enhancer.
Whoa, Arms of the Naga are pretty awesome, especially since I have five staves to swap around with. But they're a bit ugly. Is there a way to make them invisible?
Already have a Warforged graft, mainly for flavor, like he lost an arm and leg and had the Mighty Arm and Heavy Leg grafted on. Because pirates need some kind of peg leg.
Oooooh...Clasp of Safeguarding is pretty useful indeed. "None of your exposed items is harmed by the effect for which you rolled a natural 1 on your save." So by rolling a Nat 1 on any safe against Disjunction, it'll protect all my items. I'm gonna get a few of these.
Decanter of Endless Water and Prestidigitation should be able to make that DoEBS.
Not sure what you mean by the Sanctified part of the Enveloping Pit.
I don't want to be too unfairly broken with stuff like Dust of Sneezing and Choking, but I've got a couple of other cursed items.
Hmm, Glyph Seals might be good if I have leftover money.
I've got the Fortifying Bedroll.
I've got a Belt of Many Pockets and two Enveloping Pits, so I think my storage space issues are fine.
I've seen that Dukar Hand Coral before. It's kind of cool (a bit squicky the way it's implanted) and the healing/regeneration is nice, but I do have a Cohort with Regenerate and honestly, the hand is probably the first thing to be cut off anyway.
But that Kiira N'vaelahr...SO COOL! TOO COOL! That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I've been looking for. I don't know of anything else that does the same thing, the whole record and replay thing, but that's such a useful ability! To be a living projector, catching out crooks with lies and all. I'm definitely getting one of those. (Also, because you need to be reading someone's thoughts to project the vision into their head, it's a great way to persuade someone to drop their Mind Blank in order for you to show them something, only to be on the bad end of Dominate instead.)
Got two Lyres of Building, to protect my ship from all damage if I need to. I wish I could get 48 for all day protection. Geez, that price adds up, though.
I thought about Mirrors of Opposition, and how much cheese I could do with those (make a villain face himself, copy myself and steal my own magic items, etc) but it's just too cheesy.
Hmm, Bead of Karma's good, but I don't think I'll need it since my CL is already 44 and can be boosted to 48 with Sublime Chord's power. But I'll think about it, in case I really need to be CL 52 at some point.
Oh yeah, you know I stocked up on those Tree tokens. Who doesn't love an insta-tree?
I always want to buy Ring Gates, but then the hype wears out. Maybe I will. But not the Planar kind, since the DM in this campaign plans to scrap most planes and just have like, four.
Nah, don't feel like getting a giant rat.
Rods of Cancellation are definitely useful, but I'm so stingy that I hate buying anything that gets used up. I rarely buy scrolls for that same reason, and even stay away from Rods of Absorption. It's not that I won't need them, but I always save them when I do need them in case I need them MORE later.
And of course, Resetting Traps/Spell Clocks are tempting. I have most spells that I'll need, though. I already got a Resetting Trap Combo Cannon with all the Orb of X spells for my ship's cannon, but if anything strikes me, I'll probably just have my Dweomerkeeper Cohort use an Su Energy Transformation Field to make what effectively comes out to as a free Spell Clock.

Whoo, that was a big list. Thanks for all the suggestions! Of all of those, the big winner is definitely the Kiira N'vaelahr, followed maybe by the Metamagic Rods, Ring Gates, maybe Arms of the Naga, and a few Clasps of Safeguarding. Good calls!

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-30, 04:48 PM
Get a Ring of Nine Lives (or add the ability to one of your rings).
You're playing rocket tag, having the chance to automatically succeed on a save is invaluable.

Nettlekid
2013-07-30, 05:03 PM
Get a Ring of Nine Lives (or add the ability to one of your rings).
You're playing rocket tag, having the chance to automatically succeed on a save is invaluable.

Hmm...Like I said, I'm always reluctant to buy items that'll get all used up, but you're right, it would be good insurance to ensure safety against spells like Implosion or Imprisonment. But then again, it does take an Immediate action to use, which I could just as easily use for Celerity and then use that Standard action to Teleport away or something. Maybe. I'll consider it.

Rubik
2013-07-30, 05:27 PM
Hmm, Metamagic Rod might be worth it. I could certainly find use for something like Chain or Twin (is there a rod of Twin?)I've looked through all of the sourcebooks I've got (as I made a similar list for items I wanted on a character with ludicrous amounts of wealth and crafting reducers) and I couldn't find it anywhere. Sorry.

Glove of the Master Strategist is neat, but not essential to the character. Still, cheap enough that I could throw it in later.Useful, as additional storage space is always handy. Much cheaper than the DMG equivalent, as well.

Could do the boot blades, but I don't need much more initiative.Everyone needs more initiative.

No need for Belt of Magnificence, since I have Chasing Perfection and Ability Enhancer.Well, then.

Whoa, Arms of the Naga are pretty awesome, especially since I have five staves to swap around with. But they're a bit ugly. Is there a way to make them invisible?You can always cast Sequester (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sequester.htm). Along with this, I cast Ghost Form so I and all of my equipment were incorporeal. Most of my equipment is utterly invisible and incorporeal, but I can wear it just the same, and the parts I want to interact with the outside world at times (such as weapons) also have ghost touch added to them. I can have a full complement of items and proceed to run around effectively naked, if I want.

Also, feel free to refluff however you like, if the visual isn't to your liking.

Already have a Warforged graft, mainly for flavor, like he lost an arm and leg and had the Mighty Arm and Heavy Leg grafted on. Because pirates need some kind of peg leg.Note that they're mighty armS, and thus you get two of them for 1,000 gp. If you only took one, you only pay 500 gp.

Oooooh...Clasp of Safeguarding is pretty useful indeed. "None of your exposed items is harmed by the effect for which you rolled a natural 1 on your save." So by rolling a Nat 1 on any safe against Disjunction, it'll protect all my items. I'm gonna get a few of these.One of the few ways to help with Disjunction directly.

Decanter of Endless Water and Prestidigitation should be able to make that DoEBS.Not sure if Prestidigitation can do this, though it can make the water taste like barbecue sauce, I suppose.

Not sure what you mean by the Sanctified part of the Enveloping Pit.There are rules in the BoED that make all Evil parts of an item Good instead. It costs the same amount of XP to do as making the item did, and requires no gp expenditure.

I don't want to be too unfairly broken with stuff like Dust of Sneezing and Choking, but I've got a couple of other cursed items.I don't think there's anything immune to the DoS&C, so it's handy to have in extreme emergencies.

Hmm, Glyph Seals might be good if I have leftover money.I always thought so.

I've got the Fortifying Bedroll. I've got a Belt of Many Pockets and two Enveloping Pits, so I think my storage space issues are fine.Excellent. More is always better, though. The possum pouch/handy haversack combo is great for convenience and for preventing search & seizure, if you ever get caught unprepared.

I've seen that Dukar Hand Coral before. It's kind of cool (a bit squicky the way it's implanted) and the healing/regeneration is nice, but I do have a Cohort with Regenerate and honestly, the hand is probably the first thing to be cut off anyway. But that Kiira N'vaelahr...SO COOL! TOO COOL! That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I've been looking for. I don't know of anything else that does the same thing, the whole record and replay thing, but that's such a useful ability! To be a living projector, catching out crooks with lies and all. I'm definitely getting one of those. (Also, because you need to be reading someone's thoughts to project the vision into their head, it's a great way to persuade someone to drop their Mind Blank in order for you to show them something, only to be on the bad end of Dominate instead.)If you combine them then you can implant it into your hand and then move it somewhere else (such as inside your rib cage). Then if you need it someplace else for whatever reason, move it there temporarily.

Got two Lyres of Building, to protect my ship from all damage if I need to. I wish I could get 48 for all day protection. Geez, that price adds up, though. I thought about Mirrors of Opposition, and how much cheese I could do with those (make a villain face himself, copy myself and steal my own magic items, etc) but it's just too cheesy.You could always use my quintessence/mirror of opposition trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246396) to gain additional lyres (and forgo getting other stuff). It's fun and easy.

Hmm, Bead of Karma's good, but I don't think I'll need it since my CL is already 44 and can be boosted to 48 with Sublime Chord's power. But I'll think about it, in case I really need to be CL 52 at some point.More is always better, y'know. Feel free to toss out some Holy Words and whatnot when you're balls-to-the-wall and need that extra boost. Taking the Reserves of Strength feat will help you make the most of it.

Oh yeah, you know I stocked up on those Tree tokens. Who doesn't love an insta-tree?Me! Me!

...Oh, wait. I DO love insta-tree.

I always want to buy Ring Gates, but then the hype wears out. Maybe I will. But not the Planar kind, since the DM in this campaign plans to scrap most planes and just have like, four.You can do some interesting things with bags of holding, you know. Maybe set several enveloping pits up as a multi-space home with a number of different rooms, using the portals to move between them.

Nah, don't feel like getting a giant rat.Note that the collar works on things that aren't animals or magical beasts. Find the biggest, baddest thing you can think of and apply the collar. Like a Dominated tarrasque, perhaps? Just for the coolness factor, of course.

Rods of Cancellation are definitely useful, but I'm so stingy that I hate buying anything that gets used up. I rarely buy scrolls for that same reason, and even stay away from Rods of Absorption. It's not that I won't need them, but I always save them when I do need them in case I need them MORE later.They're another thing you can use the mirror of opposition to get more of. Just use the copies. Alternately, use Astral Projection to get those disposable copies as well.

And of course, Resetting Traps/Spell Clocks are tempting. I have most spells that I'll need, though. I already got a Resetting Trap Combo Cannon with all the Orb of X spells for my ship's cannon, but if anything strikes me, I'll probably just have my Dweomerkeeper Cohort use an Su Energy Transformation Field to make what effectively comes out to as a free Spell Clock.Whatever works for you.

Whoo, that was a big list. Thanks for all the suggestions! Of all of those, the big winner is definitely the Kiira N'vaelahr, followed maybe by the Metamagic Rods, Ring Gates, maybe Arms of the Naga, and a few Clasps of Safeguarding. Good calls!There are lots of awesome items out there. Not as many as I'd like, but still.

How about some ToB items? Some diamond mind, white raven, and iron heart maneuvers could be supremely useful, even in epic. Equip them on your army of cats led by your shrunken tarrasque, or whatever.

Nettlekid
2013-07-30, 05:46 PM
Ah, I see what you mean about Sanctified items. I thought you meant something like casting a Hallow spell inside it or something. I think the Enveloping Pit isn't an evil item, it just requires you to be within one step of Lawful Evil to use it, which can be mimicked with UMD.

Oh my god, that Mirror of Opposition/Quintessence thing is ingenious. It's a bit like that movie Prestige, where Hugh Jackman gets a cloning machine to make the perfect magic trick, and dumps all the extra bodies into water tanks to dispose of them. One thing that I'm a bit hesitant about is it does specify "defeating" your clone poofs away the items, and it sounds quite like locking them away in time would count as a defeat.
Whatever works for you.

Hmm, as for ToB maneuvers, although they are useful, that feels too much like getting into territory where one character tries too hard to ape another. Even though I could get a few of the best maneuvers, I'm a caster, not an initiator, and if I wanted to use maneuvers then I'd at least dip initiator.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing I thought of, would it be worth it to buy a Golem Manual and make a Golem servant? Golems are kind of cool, especially Iron Golems. But then again, it might be too weak for the level, and if I need one I could just Shapechange into it.

Rubik
2013-07-30, 05:54 PM
EDIT: Oh, one other thing I thought of, would it be worth it to buy a Golem Manual and make a Golem servant? Golems are kind of cool, especially Iron Golems. But then again, it might be too weak for the level, and if I need one I could just Shapechange into it.It would be considerably cheaper to buy a rod of construct control, from A&EG, then find a preexisting golem to steal. Note that there's no save if the golem's master isn't about.

[edit] It also works on epic golems, assuming they have Int --.

Nettlekid
2013-08-02, 12:27 AM
Do you think there might be a use for an Insatiable Locust (from AaEG), a small construct locust which can eat 10 tons of crops/grain/vegetation for seven days at a time, in a radius of up to 50 miles? It would be rather nasty to spring on an unsuspecting village, but could be used to tip the scales in like, a trade war (or any kind of war of attrition) by forcing a village to trade for food. Or other things. I dunno. Would it be worth it?