PDA

View Full Version : Scales of War solo rewrite

Epinephrine
2013-07-29, 09:02 PM
Hi, a while back I asked for advice about rewriting a solo that I felt was badly written (April or so); I will be running the session within the next month or so, and wanted to see if I'm completely off my rocker with the way I wrote him. He's a little long and complicated, so I'll hide it all away in spoiler boxes. Also, the group I DM is fairly optimised, or at leaast knows their way around; the invoker uses a ton of lightning/thunder powers with Mark of Storm and Lyrnader PP, and tends to daze things pretty much continuously. The defender paladinlock (warlockadin?) has a slide-and-prone eldritch flail melee basic and pretty much always sets up annoying catch 22s, and the others do pretty well (a pair of strikers with pretty decent damage, and a leader who heals pretty well). They've not really had much problem stomping L+3 encounters, and though I'm sparing with the L+4 encounters, they've beaten any of those I've thrown at them as well, but I do worry that I've taken things perhaps a bit too far.

The enemy, background, and setup:
The enemy is one of Tiamat's exarchs, named Virizan - he's Tiamat's green exarch, and has heard about the players since they've already slain the white exarch in a previous chapter. Virizan has 5 forms (one is a human form in which they have seen him). his human form has taken control of a fey king-type (a fomorian named Cachlain), and the party will be forced into confronting him, where he will try to use the king to kill them. That fight shouldn't be too bad; the king will fight against being used, and depending on how well the players do in the skill checks it could end quickly, with the king turning the floor beneath them all insubstantial, sending everyone but the king (who can fly) crashing to the floor of a huge gladiatorial arena. this will kill Virizan's human form, and cause him to reveal himself fully. The party will likely start a bit roughed up as a result of this, but they've had an extended rest pretty recently, so they're at nearly full power. I'm trying to decide whether to level them up before or after the fight.
The players fall into the gladiatorial pit, taking falling damage and landing prone, in the middle of an ongoing fight - four eladrin are fighting a blackroot treant who is chained in place. These are all "Neutral;" the blackroot treant will attack anything within reach, which may be a real advantage for the players, since they have forced movement (but so does Virizan). The Eladrin are not stupid, but they won't know who to fight - the crowd will be chanting for blood, but the party has a pretty awesome diplomat, and they may be able to convince the Eladrin to join them. I would count them as neutral, but likely to count a bit more toward the players.

The solo:
Virizan is a shape changer with 4 forms remaining (his human form is now dead); I've written him as a set of 4 creatures, each with their own stat blocks. The creatures have attacks like a solo (in that they each have a strong standard action that affects multiple foes, and other actions to attack/defend), but HP like a standard. They will have the +5 saving throw bonus of a solo, and 2 AP to spend between them. The feel I was going for was of an enemy constantly changing shape to adapt to the circumstances and gain the most advantage, and to do so I tried to get each form to have powers that made it fight differently. (This is not my idea, but the way he is described, I just felt that the way it was written failed to achieve this).

Virizan (all forms) All of Virizan's forms have a +5 to saves. Virizan has two action points to spend during the encounter, these can be spent by any form, but only one action point may be spent per turn. He has only the normal Standard, Move, and Minor action on his turn, and one immediate action off turn (so if he uses his immediate in one form and switches, he's still used it)

Aura of Command Virizan has such a presence that he can automatically dominate (no action) any creature more than 5 levels below him in a close burst 10. He may only have one creature dominated by this power at a time. On his turn he may choose to dominate a different creature; if at any point he does not have a creature dominated, he may choose a new creature to dominate.

(This power ensures that at least 1 of the Eladrin is against the party on any given round, and provides the Eladrin with a reason to fight the PCs, if they see them attacking their comrade. The PCs are high enough level to be immune to the power, so it's really just a way to force them to deal with the Eladrin, and prevent it becoming PCs +4 Eladrin vs. Virizan. The PCs will have to be careful lest they end up with additional foes, but if they try not to injure the dominated Eladrin they can probably persuade the others to help them).

The four forms Virizan has left are:
Naga (Controller) (https://docs.google.com/file/d/1srLbSC8wgWtXyZiPJwnAH0S1OQ9lv9I-nYAymIjy9QMWWvQq_xjYYQibDxNBH4AoHEqR_4rWjsqUutjv/edit?usp=sharing);
Snaketongue (Artillery) (https://docs.google.com/file/d/1f7L97NJ3PVBsSU7kNng8T6kVu24-fRaq76z4RvOWTxN6Sut7LYENABZFOWrSx_TnHqoIt6Dr1MigUP U-/edit?usp=sharing);
Swarm (Brute) (https://docs.google.com/file/d/1VLwdgY2rG2ebWacvoLPys0SQWcYPIYngUUDMXrpaHJQt6qPUi XWaUAfaxFBL9_pYTE9lpFNxQhn9CRvC/edit?usp=sharing); and
Venom Wisp (Skirmisher) (https://docs.google.com/file/d/1E5m2Lh6osDROvpYzhOtYccyOsu5P-gcGfCvdgsSifNxsfsLbHrij2WZZ3dDqm8L_8xo14qcgcIjcVto L/edit?usp=sharing)

All four forms have shared abilities to shed conditions, each form gets an instinctive action on 10+Initiative, All forms have an interrupt that changes their form as a defense (typically used if changing form will boost the defense targeted or will reduce damage (change out of swarm if a close/are attack is coming in; change to Venom Wisp if insubstantial will help, or change to ensure someone ends up in your aura).

On his turn he gets a benefit for changing form, this is nice as it makes it tactically advantageous to change forms, ensuring that he pretty much always changes form. Changing to one of the forms even sheds marks, but of course he can only change to a form he's not currently in, and if you kill a form it's not an option anymore. The death change (drop conditions, teleport, stand up, and free attack) ensures that he won't end up locked down and beaten on through all his forms - he'll at least get to stand up and fight a bit.

So, hopefully he'll be a challenge - a tough foe that is interesting to fight, without feeling impossible; he is after all a very symbolic foe. Is it too much, and if so, how? I know I gave him several odd powers, and each form has a minor action attack as well as a punishing standard action; this was partly to ensure that a Daze was still useful (after all, daze will prevent the minor action attack on his turn, and an off-turn defense as well). Is there too much damage output? Is a level 21 base too high for my level 16 party (should I let them hit 17?) or given that they've stomped pretty much everything I've thrown at them, will it be ok?

Epinephrine
2013-07-31, 08:52 AM
Well, a few views but no reply; I'm guessing that either it's fine, or that the amount to read/analyze is daunting.

For figuring damage, I felt a solo should deal about the damage that 4 or 5 creatures deal. So using the Venom Wisp form as an example, he has a minor action attack that hits one target for 4d6+15 damage and causes a -2 to hit penalty. This is ~29 average damage, on the mark for a level 21 creature (level+8 damage). If in a round he isn't thwarted at all, he could make an attack off-turn (Instinctive action at 10+initiative), make three attacks with this as a minor action (total of 4 attacks for average damage). Most forms have some benefit when swapped into; assuming for example he started the turn in snaketongue form, and an enemy moved beside him on its turn; swapping to venom wisp form he would get to shift 2 and make an attack - that's the 5th attack.

He can instead opt to spread damage around a bit, using his move action attack to shift and attack things, then using his breath attack to blast a few, and finally unloading a minor action attack on someone. With the off-turn action as well, it again adds up to ~5 attacks, but I'm realizing I didn't adjust the damage down a bit for the fact that the close blast is going to affect multiple enemies, I may need to reduce damage by ~25% on the Caustic Breath.

Assuming I reduce the breath weapon damage to 75% or so (call it 2d8+13?), is it about right?
One worry I have is that he can bring a lot more focus fire to bear if he can target the same creature essentially 5 times over a round, and since his attacks are largely happening in the same round it's easy to accidentally focus fire a PC. It'd be nice if he didn't tend to attack any given PC more than 3 times per round, spreading attacks about a bit. It's not common for 5 enemies to all be able to attack the same target, so it shouldn't be easy for a solo to get all of its damage on the same target (but then again, that's what makes solos a bit deadlier, the concentrated firepower).

Daracaex
2013-08-01, 03:21 AM
Hey, I think I replied in the last thread about this solo.

The interrupt form changes to take advantage of different attacks is exactly what I was gonna do with this monster, and an idea I really like.

As for the balance of the monster, I honestly have no idea. You've basically said my thoughts yourself. My gut instinct is that a potential 5 attacks per round may be too much at those damage values. My party is only at the end of Haven of the Bitter Glass, but I think a bit of terrible luck on their part mixed with focus fire could see a PC dropped in one round (Well, maybe not the fighter with Enter the Crucible). Course, you could also balance by making sure things get more spread-out and fudging rolls, like any DM might.

Hopefully you'll get more response from people more experienced. This is close to where my ideas for a re-build were taking me and I'd love to use it against my party when they finally get to this adventure.

Epinephrine
2013-08-01, 08:07 AM
Hey, I think I replied in the last thread about this solo.

The interrupt form changes to take advantage of different attacks is exactly what I was gonna do with this monster, and an idea I really like.

Yes! Thanks, that was your suggestion. It only provides a slight defense bonus (basically the spread on the defense, generally about 2 points), but I think it'll still be noticeable, and adding a shift 1 in it means that he can disengage from an attacker, foiling the chained attacks that spike down enemies.

My gut instinct is that a potential 5 attacks per round may be too much at those damage values.
Yeah, I think making the basic a minor may be too much; if the two multi-target powers are standard actions, and the basic attack is tacked on, he gets only three attacks per round off (with a possible fourth on a form switch) and dazing him still drops effectiveness.
I'll try to tweak the numbers down, maybe even eliminating more attacks and making a few stronger attacks. Too many actions a)slows combat down, and b) allows a lot of crit-fishing, which I hadn't thought about - 5 chances to crit really ups the chance of dropping PCs.

I think I'll turn the swarm's aura back to free action attacks, so that a stun/dominate still stops it, too.

Edit:
So, testing on the Naga form (and will do the same for other forms) I removed the minor action attack and replaced it with a standard action ranged basic;
Word of Pain (Psychic) ♦ At-Will (basic attack)
Range: Ranged 20 (one or two targets)
Attack: +24 vs Will
3d8+9 psychic damage, and the target is immobilised (save ends).

This gives him an off-turn attack against 1 or two targets at initiative +10, a multi target attack (close blast or area burst) as a standard, and an additional attack against 1 or 2 targets if he's switched to this form on his turn. That amounts to no more than 3 attacks per subject in a round, and assuming he can hit all 5 PCs with a blast, would amount to a total of 9 attack rolls. I think this puts him nicely in line with creatures like dragons. I'll keep playing with it, but thanks for the feedback.

Surrealistik
2013-08-01, 11:29 AM
I really like the concept thus far.

As for my critiques:

You really need to tighten/clean up the wording. While no specifically disastrous examples have come to my attention thus far as my review has been fairly cursory, try to keep to the well defined and conventional 4e rules terms.

Further, some forms aren't doing 5 standards worth of damage (and I personally aim for 6 since Solos are only to have the HP of 4 standards) each round (29 * 5 = 145 or 181 for its Brute form before accuracy adjustments).

I would also consider giving each form either an additional initiative count, or giving their Instinctive trait an additional initiative count.

Lastly, try to have each form (or at least several forms) include environment changing aspects. For example, an acid breath that leaves behind a pool of acid zone, or perhaps a conjured storm of poison that lasts until the power is used again, the dragon shifts forms, or until the end of the encounter. Minion creating powers are also cool, and serve the same purpose of changing the conditions/dynamic of the combat. The dragon might also have a recovery ability that ends a condition in exchange for ending an environmental effect or sacrificing a minion.

Epinephrine
2013-08-02, 06:40 AM
I really like the concept thus far.

You really need to tighten/clean up the wording. While no specifically disastrous examples have come to my attention thus far as my review has been fairly cursory, try to keep to the well defined and conventional 4e rules terms.

Further, some forms aren't doing 5 standards worth of damage (and I personally aim for 6 since Solos are only to have the HP of 4 standards) each round (29 * 5 = 145 or 181 for its Brute form before accuracy adjustments).
Thanks; I may have been sloppy in places, and there are a few areas where the power varies unintentionally between forms (the Death Change wording was a bit different, so I'm smoothing that out).

I was pretty sure all the forms dealt a solid 5 or more standards though, between attacks generated by switching into the form, off-turn attacks, area and minor action attacks. I'll go back through them to try to make sure they all have solid damage output, I was in fact worried it was too high, rather than not high enough.

I would also consider giving each form either an additional initiative count, or giving their Instinctive trait an additional initiative count.

Lastly, try to have each form (or at least several forms) include environment changing aspects. For example, an acid breath that leaves behind a pool of acid zone, or perhaps a conjured storm of poison that lasts until the power is used again, the dragon shifts forms, or until the end of the encounter. Minion creating powers are also cool, and serve the same purpose of changing the conditions/dynamic of the combat. The dragon might also have a recovery ability that ends a condition in exchange for ending an environmental effect or sacrificing a minion.

Environmental effects could be fun and would certainly add something, I'm just worried that it would overly complicate play and slow things down (I'm already a little worried because of how complex this guy is; he has a lot of choices every round and hands out a lot of different effects to track). In terms of "minions", the dominate and Eladrin gladiators will give a constantly changing threat from them (one turn you might flank with an eladrin the next turn he's been dominated and charges your invoker), and the huge Blackroot Treant chained down in one area of the arena is a pretty nasty piece of terrain. I do like the idea, though, so perhaps I'll find a way to work something into at least one form.

tire_ak
2013-10-22, 05:25 PM
So how did this go for you? I'm in the middle of customizing this fight for my group too, though so far I've focused his Instinctive Action on pushing Mindspike and Overwhelm Mind.

Epinephrine
2013-10-22, 08:52 PM
I got the feeling that they found the change to the Venom Wisp and Swarm forms frustrating, as it negated a fair bit of damage. Still, the fight certainly had them on their toes, and it's the closest I've been to taking anyone out in a long time. As expected, the players had the Eladrin on their side the whole fight, and the Blackroot Treant didn't play much of a role. I was a little worried that he'd be too strong, but they did a good job of controlling him, despite the form changes. I think they did appreciate the flavour, but it made for a very lengthy fight, since the defensive immediate dragged it out. If I were to redo it I might rewrite it so that he doesn't ignore as much damage, but hits a bit harder.

tire_ak
2013-10-23, 08:15 PM
Here's what I'm looking at doing (wall of text):

On 10+init:
Instinctive Domination: Virizan uses Mind Venom (see below). If unable to take this action due to an effect, that effect ends instead.

Mind Venom (1 target in close burst 10, vs will) average 16 psychic damage + ongoing 10 psychic damage (save ends). If the target is already taking ongoing psychic damage, it is instead dominated (save ends). Virizan may only have one creature dominated at a time.

On Virizan's initiative:
Exarch's Assault (standard): Virizan uses Mind Venom and one of his shapeshift attack powers.
Exarch’s Shape (minor 1/rd): Virizan can make a saving throw against 1 effect and changes to one of his other forms.

Venom Wisp Form (fly 8 [hover], insubstantial, immune to physical-based grab, slow, immobilize, restrain effects)
Aura 1: 10 poison damage to creatures that enter or start their turn in the aura.
Claws (melee basic vs AC) average 26 damage.
Caustic Breath (close blast 3 vs fort): average 20 poison damage; miss: half damage. Virizan can shift his speed and make this attack at any point during the movement.

Naga Form (large, move 6)
Tail Slap (melee basic vs AC) average 26 damage and push target 2 squares.
Poison Blast (area burst 2 vs fort): avg 20 thunder damage and knocked prone, miss: half damage, effect: attack area is zone of poison until start of Virizan's next turn, creatures who end turn in cloud take 10 poison damage.
Cunning Slap (immediate interrupt, when targeted by a melee attack) Virizan uses Tail Slap against the triggering enemy and can shift up to 3 squares.

Snake Swarm Form (large, move 3, climb 3, resist half from melee/ranged, vulnerable 10 close/area, immune to prone, immune to conditions from melee/ranged attacks)
Aura 1: 20 poison damage to enemies that start their turn in the aura.
Snake Bite (melee basic vs AC) average 33 damage and target is slowed (save ends)
Swarm of Fangs (close burst 1 vs AC): average 26 damage and target is slowed (save ends).

Snaketongue Form (move 6, teleport 6)
Serpent Staff (melee basic vs AC) average 26 damage.
Emerald Coils (ranged 10 vs reflex, 2 targets) average 26 damage and target slides 3 squares.
Snaketongue Deception (immediate interrupt, when a ranged attack hits Virizan) The triggering attack instead targets an enemy within 3 squares of Virizan.
I'm thinking I'll have one pool of HP, but Virizan will only use Venom Wisp / Naga forms while unbloodied, and Snake Swarm / Snaketongue forms while bloodied. Each turn should have 2 Mind Venom attacks and one multiattack of some form (so 3-6 attacks per round total), a decent amount of ongoing damage, and the save from shapeshifting + instinctive action means he should almost always be able to be effective. I think it's enough hurt... maybe?

Virizan should dominate the treant to use it for terrain advantage, sitting in the "safe" area as the Naga form and dishing out hurt, then switching to Venom Wisp if the treant breaks control or if he needs to move a decent distance.

Once bloodied I think there's a natural flow to using his ranged slide as the Snaketongue, then teleporting into melee and switching to Snake Swarm, and next turn switching back and getting out of the way. Snaketongue Deception just makes me smile. :)

Any criticism or other feedback? I'm a little unsure about the Venom Wisp's damage output, and think it might deserve a bump.