PDA

View Full Version : Help with an Undead slayer (PF)

xanendorf
2013-07-29, 09:07 PM
So I'm playing in A ravenloft/homebrew campaign, and I kinda need some suggestions as to what classes to take in order to make a character.
I am playing a Dhamphir (half Vampire) and I want to be focused on Vampire slaying. I'm going to be doing ranged combat.

My DM has a rule called the "Rule of cool" Basically if it sounds cool to her, and isn't "game breaking" its fine.
So I have gotten approved to take 2 hand crossbows that use permanent unseen servants to auto-reload.
My original thought was to go Inquisitor, but that just seems weak. And I definitely don't want a paladin.
Do any of you have any suggestions?

Note: Current party level 8: Sword and board fighter, Ranger/rogue (Archery). Rogue (daggermaster), And soul knife plus level 6 cleric cohort.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-29, 09:21 PM
Damn, you already have a soulknife. I was going to suggest porting forward the Illumine Soul and Soulbow from Complete Psionic.

If you change your mind about Paladin, there's the Shadowbane Inquisitor PrC in Complete Adventurer that might intrigue you.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-07-30, 04:39 PM
Well, you already have a partial ranger, but archer ranger is probably your best bet for slaying vampires, since you can just pump up favored enemy (undead). Paladin can also work, though even with Oath of Vengeance, smites per day will be few, and I've found that for all their anti-evil stuff... it's all single target. Paladins actually kind of uber-mega-suck against your typical massive undead horde.

You mentioned Soul Knife, so if 3rd party is available, you could try to make a Scholar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/tripod-machine/scholar). It's kind of a weak class, even when you take into account that it's not supposed to be combat oriented ("not combat oriented" + little to no spellcasting is pretty much ALWAYS instant fail...) but it is at least interesting and a way to have favored enemy without making a duplicate ranger. It is actually well suited for a vampire hunter (especially the type who studies them and their weaknesses, folklore, etc...), particularly with these class feature options:

Creature Focus (Ex): The scholar selects one type of creature from the ranger's favored enemy list. The scholar gains a +3 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks against creatures of her selected type. Likewise, she gets a +3 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against them. If the scholar has 10 or more ranks in the applicable Knowledge skill for the type of creature, these bonuses increase to +6. The scholar may select this secret more than once, each time selecting a different type of creature. If a creature fits more than one category, only the best bonus applies.

Call it Out (Ex): One per day as a standard action, a scholar can identify the weaknesses of one creature she can perceive. She must succeed at a Knowledge check to identify the creature. If successful, she and all allies within 30 feet who can hear her gain a knowledge of any special vulnerabilities and weaknesses a creature may have, including what forms of attack defeat its DR and regeneration, and gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and the DCs of their spells and abilities against that opponent for one minute. Is she has 10 or more ranks in the relevant Knowledge skill for that creature's type, the bonus is doubled to +2.

Creature Mythology (Ex): When she uses her call it out ability, she and her affected allies also gain +2 to overcome SR against that creature for one minute. The bonus is doubled if she has at least 10 ranks of the relevant Knowledge skill for that creature's type. Prerequisite: Call it Out.

Turn Undead: The scholar gains Command Undead or Turn Undead as a bonus feat. She gains channel energy a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier, but only to use the selected feat. She can take other feats that add to this ability, such as Extra Channel and Improved Channel, as well as feats that alter this ability, such as Elemental Channel and Alignment Channel. The DC to save against these feats is equal to 10 + ½ her scholar level + her Charisma modifier. At 20th level, undead cannot add their channel resistance to the save against this ability.

Mainly creature focus and turn undead. Smart Weapon can also be handy.

Smart Weapon (Ex): The scholar can use her Int bonus instead of her Str or Dex bonus to hit with any light or one-handed weapon or any crossbow.

You could even just dip scholar and pick up creature focus and smart weapon, both are strong and neither actually gets better from higher levels in scholar.

Feralventas
2013-07-30, 05:18 PM
I recently built a cleric for an undead-heavy game. Only 3rd level, but...

Take traits that boost Channel Energy,
Improved Channel Feat for higher DC,
Turn Undead feat.
Sun Domain.
Charisma is your highest score.

At this point, you either do channel damage+your level to all undead, and undead aren't allowed their Channel Resistance to save against something you've already juiced the DC for. You can also just Turn them in case there's simply too many to burn down with your AOE's and team-mates contributions.

Basically being a bubble of anti-undeath.

GreenZ
2013-07-30, 06:58 PM
At 8th level, a Cleric 1/Inquisitor 7 is the perfect undead hunting, Kinslayer, double hand-crossbowman.

1 Level of Cleric, picking up Channel Positive Energy and the Sun domain then levels of Inquisitor (continuing to increase the Sun domain) while picking up Channeling Scourge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/channeling-scourge) at 3rd level. This gives you full channeling power but only when channeling to harm undead.

You then can aim for the TWF tree as well as Ranged attack tree (quite feat heavy) to make a ridiculous number of attacks on a full attack each dealing an extra amount of damage to undead due to Bane.