PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Unholy Lycanthrope

Thurbane
2013-07-29, 09:34 PM
Question about order of templates.

Say I have a creature (a human) that is also natural lycanthrope. Can I apply the Unholy Scion template (HoH), without it losing it's Lycanthropy?

Lycanthropy can only be applied to humanoids and giants, and the Unholy Scion template changes type to outsider.

Cheers - T

CyberThread
2013-07-29, 09:58 PM
once it becomes outsider, by the rules it no longer qualfies for the other template...

Siosilvar
2013-07-29, 10:01 PM
Unholy Scion is inherited, not applied/whatever, so I think you're out of luck.

Karnith
2013-07-29, 10:15 PM
Natural lycanthrope and unholy scion are both inherited templates, so you should be able to apply them in whatever order you want (i.e. the one that actually works).

Thurbane
2013-07-29, 10:34 PM
Natural lycanthrope and unholy scion are both inherited templates, so you should be able to apply them in whatever order you want (i.e. the one that actually works).
I hope so...is there a citation for this?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-29, 10:40 PM

I guess that the closest would be the type pyramid in Savage species.

Karnith
2013-07-29, 10:50 PM
There's basically just this section (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#addingMoreThanOneTemplate) in the SRD:
In theory, there’s no limit to the number of templates you can add to a creature. To add more than one template, just apply each template one at a time. Always apply inherited templates before applying acquired templates. Whenever you add multiple templates, pay attention to the creature’s type—you may add a template that makes the creature ineligible for other templates you might want to add.Since it doesn't define an order beyond "inherited before acquired," you add the templates one at a time in whatever order you want and is legal - you just need to make sure that the creature continues to be eligible for each next template.

If you're using 3.0 material, though, check Savage Species, page 143. It says that you choose the order that templates are applied. Per Savage Species:
Building a creature with multiple templates follows all previously presented rules. Apply one template at a time until you complete your monster.
Before you begin, plan the process. Decide each template you want to apply and choose your base creature. Make sure you choose a base creature eligible for the first template. If the first template changes the base creature's type or ability scores, make sure the new creature will be eligible for the next template. Perform this check for each template you intend to apply.
Apply the first template completely to create a "new" base creature. Then apply the next template and so on, until you apply the final one.

The Lycanthrope template also gets special notes on the next page, which say pretty much exactly what you want them to say. Per Savage Species:

The template list shows that several templates [...] apply to humanoids as well as creatures of other types. Lycanthrope, however, only applies to humanoids. If a template changes the base creature's type to something other than humanoid, a lycanthrope with that template must be a natural lycanthrope rather than an afflicted one. A half-dragon, for example, is immune to the curse of lycanthropy because you cannot layer the lycanthrope template on creatures with the dragon type. However, a lycanthrope and a dragon can produce a half-dragon lycanthrope.

Thurbane
2013-07-29, 11:02 PM
Great, exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much. Perfect for the BBEG I'm working on.