PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Off-list Spells for a Prepared Caster

Claudius Maximus
2013-07-29, 11:20 PM
So I'm playing a Magus, and it occurs to me that there are a number of very slick spells out there that would be great to use in Spell Combat, but which do not exist on the Magus spell list (not to mention several nice swift spells and such from various classes). I'm not amazingly familiar with Pathfinder, and we're not using any 3.5 material so my normal tricks won't be working, so I've come here to ask what means exist to finagle spells from other classes onto the Magus spell list.

Currently, I'm aware of the Samsaran racial trait Mystic Past Life, the Magaambyan Arcanist prestige class (for Druid spells only, and not ideal for a Magus in any case, unfortunately), and... nothing else that works for prepared casters. I'd like to actually cast the spells so as to use them in Spell Combat, so UMD and spell storing items aren't going to work well enough. I'd also like to avoid multiclassing as much as possible, though if a dip or two here and there can solve my problem, please tell me.

So, is there anything in Pathfinder that can help me do this?

avr
2013-07-29, 11:28 PM
There's also the Pathfinder Savant PrC. In general though I think you're right to avoid multiclassing, other classes won't advance the Magus class features even if they advance the spellcasting.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-29, 11:31 PM
I think there is an Arcana that allows you to spell combat with wands, also the Hexcrafter archetype automatically gets all spells with the [curse] tag, there aren't many; but Bestow Curse and Brand (inquisitor Orison) are pretty useful.

Claudius Maximus
2013-07-30, 09:09 AM
Archetypes aren't really an option, since this is a character that already exists and I rather doubt the DM would let me just change major things like half my class features. Ideally I'd like something like an item or feat, though if none exist for this purpose, then I guess I'm stuck with Pathfinder Savant if I want to do this.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-07-30, 09:24 AM
Archetypes aren't really an option, since this is a character that already exists and I rather doubt the DM would let me just change major things like half my class features. Ideally I'd like something like an item or feat, though if none exist for this purpose, then I guess I'm stuck with Pathfinder Savant if I want to do this.

There are some race-specific feats that grant SLA's, but Pathfinder doesn't provide many options for accessing spells on another spell list (aside from class-specific features). If you can get your GM to allow Words of Power, you could pick up the feat Experimental Spellcaster and gain some limited use of Words of Power. The Extra Word feat would grant you 1-2 additional words at later levels.

Cheiromancer
2013-07-30, 09:46 AM
The Extra Spell feat from 3.5 (Complete Arcane, p. 79) should work. It says "Extra Spell is generally used to learn a specific spell that the character lacks access to and would be unable to research." To me that signifies "off-list spell".

There is the issue that the FAQ (p.40) states that "The Extra Spell feat allows you to choose a new spell, but it does not remove the restrictions of how you would normally pick your spells—so they must be picked from your own spell list."

However, I think this is wrong. :smallsmile: The feat explicitly provides for characters who lack access to a spell. It does not need to specifically call out the fact of being off-list as a reason for being inaccessible.

Besides the flavor issue of casters with off-list spells (arcane casters with archetypically divine spells and the like) there is also what I call "the trapsmith problem", wherein some classes have spells at much lower levels than other classes. I have just posted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295162) something on that very subject.

Anyway, I understand 3.5 material is generally usable in Pathfinder. I think the Extra Spell might be suitable for your game.

Claudius Maximus
2013-07-30, 03:04 PM
I do believe Extra Spell would work for this as written, but we're not using any 3.5 material, so it's out despite being generally compatible.

grarrrg
2013-07-30, 06:44 PM
Eh, you named most of the ways already...
How's your CHA score? If its 15+ then you could take the Improved Eldritch Heritage (www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/improved-eldritch-heritage) feat, tagging the Arcane Bloodline (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/arcane-bloodline) from Sorcerer. It would get you a few choice spells from the Wiz/Sorc list.
Would be a total of 3 feats for (eventually) 3 spells though.