PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Best 1 level dip Wiz/Sorc/Magus/Witch for a Necro Cleric

Jaraak
2013-07-30, 12:40 AM
Title says it all.

I want to take a 1 level dip in either Wizard, Sorc, Magus or Witch so I get access to the Blood Money spell in order to cast animate dead without the cost of onyx.

If I have to blow a caster level I want something in return.

Character so far is a cleric with variant channeling (rulership) with improved channel, selective channel, command undead

Any suggestions on a dip that might synergize well with my character?

So far I was thinking Wizard for Scribe Scroll which turns into spell focus necromancy (PFS) a prerequisite for Undead Master. But what would I specialize in?

Divination (Forsight) looks good for always acting in surprise and the pre-rolling of a d20 four times a day (Int 12)

or

Conjuration (Teleportation) for a 5ft teleport as a swift action 4 times per day.

avr
2013-07-30, 02:39 AM
There's several sorc bloodlines which either give a bonus to the save DCs of your compulsion spells or which allow compulsions to be used on some other type of creature (undead or plant off the top of my head). Clerics get some compulsion-type spells.

NamelessNPC
2013-07-30, 02:44 AM
Why don't you try a Samsaran?

FatherMalkav
2013-07-30, 03:01 AM
Why don't you try a Samsaran?

OP listed a Pathfinder Society variant rule, so assuming he's playing PFS the only legal races are the core, Aasimars, Tieflings, and Tengu.

avr
2013-07-30, 03:03 AM
For one thing because there isn't a divine caster which gets blood money on their spell list, NamelessNPC. It's one of the restrictions on the Mystic Path Life that it can't add arcane spells to a divine caster list or vice versa.

Also it's implied above that this is for an existing character (who probably has race defined already).

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-30, 03:07 AM
You have a few options. Sorcerer has already been mentioned.

Wizard and specialize in the necromancy (Undead) school.
Gains:
- Command or Turn Undead Bonus Feat
- Channel Energy an additional number of times equal to 3+Int modifier (DC 11+cha modifier)
- Bolster School power which will let you give your favorite undead a profane bonus to attacks, saves, channel resistance, and temp hit points for one round.

Witch (Gravewalker):
- Aura of Desecration Ability: +1 to channel energy DC, +1 turn resistance for your undead. 20 ft. radius. It doesn't have a number of times/day or duration listed that I can see.

Korahir
2013-07-30, 07:13 AM
Witch also offers some ver ynice hexes that don't suffer from being only a dip. Cauldron springs to mind for a free feat, flight, tongues and ward could work too. Moreover you can use the familiar to get improved initiative (compsognathus or greensting scorpion).

Blyte
2013-07-30, 08:43 AM
go with cross blooded tattooed sorcerer.

choose necromancy as your mage tattoo (+1 CL necro school)

you get a familiar out of it that you can wear as a tattoo (go with scorpion for +4 initiative)

for school choices, you have options... with cross blooded you get 2 of them. only draw back will be a -2 to will saves, which is offset well enough by being a cleric with a high wisdom.

EDIT: one possible combo would be orc+brutal to make the crummy cleric damage a little more respectable. +1 damage per die and +2 static damage bonus. but there are a lot of mindbending combos to use as well, like undead, serpentine, and pestillence.

edit2: sanguine bloodline will get you an additional +1 CL with necro school. and a snazzy little blood drinking heal that ties in thematically with bloodmoney.

Jaraak
2013-07-31, 03:34 AM
Would the orc bloodline work with my channel negative energy? seeing how its a supernatural ability not a spell?

Also, how would the Wizard Necromancy Power over Undead worth with my Channel energy.

It states I get Command Undead as a free feat (yay). So I assume I can use either my Wizard Channels or my Cleric Channels to power it.

However it says "The DC to save against these feats is equal to 10 + 1/2 your wizard level + your Charisma modifier".

So the 3 times I can Command Undead per day as a wizard I must use a DC based off my Wizard level right?

What if I use my Cleric Channels to power Command Undead? It just acts as normal and I can use my Cleric levels? Or would I have to take Command Undead again?

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-31, 03:41 AM
That's a DM question, as his interpretation may differ from mine. The way I see it, command undead can be used with channel energy from both classes (it says you gain the feat after all), but that the extra channel attempts would always be at that low DC.

Korahir
2013-07-31, 03:42 AM
The feat works with cleric channel and wizard channel. The orc bloodline wouldn't work, you gave the answer yourself.

Jaraak
2013-07-31, 03:54 AM
Ok. Assuming I get two forms of channeling (wizard and cleric). And the Command Undead bonus feat works powered by either (using the DC of which ever channel attempt used to power it).

My feat selection would look something like this:

1) Cleric1: imp channel
h) Cleric1: select channel
3) Cleric3: extra channel
5) Cleric5: quick channel
6) Wizrd1: School (Necro) command undead, spell focus (necromancy)
7) Cleric6: Undead Master

With a Charisma of 18 and Intelligence of 12 this should net me as well as Sacred Conduit:

Cleric Command 7/day DC 20
Wizard Command 4/day DC 17
+ Floating 2/day channel to either Wizard or Cleric Command

Does this seem right?

Korahir
2013-07-31, 04:12 AM
With a Charisma of 18 and Intelligence of 12 this should net me as well as Sacred Conduit:

Cleric Command 7/day DC 20
Wizard Command 4/day DC 17
+ Floating 2/day channel to either Wizard or Cleric Command

Does this seem right?

The DC for the wizard is one to high. Channel DC should be 16: 10 + 0 (1/2 wizard) + 4 (Cha) + 2 (feat). Same for cleric: 10+3+4+2 or am i missing something?

Jaraak
2013-07-31, 04:14 AM
The trait Sacred Conduit gives a +1 bonus to the DC.

Andvare
2013-07-31, 05:04 AM
There is a way to do it without a dip, though I don't know if it is Society legal, and it comes online somewhat late (level 11).
It's the Improved Eldritch Heritage feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/improved-eldritch-heritage). (edit: Arcane Bloodline 9th level bloodline power of course)

Blyte
2013-07-31, 08:55 AM
the wizard channels are at least good for fueling your quick channels