PDA

View Full Version : Extra Spell and the Trapsmith problem (3.5)

Cheiromancer
2013-07-30, 09:37 AM
I am posting this discussion here (rather than homebrew) because I think it is a matter of interpretation of the 'rules and procedures of Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Edition'. It is premised on the FAQ being wrong concerning the Extra Spell feat, and there consequently being a gap in the rules. I am proposing an extension of the rules to fill this gap, one that may be of broader theoretical interest.

I read Extra Spell (Complete Arcane, p. 79) as allowing you to learn a spell from another class list. Let's suppose I am right, and the FAQ (p. 40) is wrong. (I may be wrong, but that is a discussion for another thread.)

Let's also suppose that it is not a major problem for a wizard (say) to be casting things like raise dead. Things like the Arcane Disciple feat (Complete Divine, p. 79) and the Rainbow Servant prestige class (Complete Divine, p. 54) have blurred the previous sharp lines between arcane and divine spellcasting. Let us suppose that one spell, at the cost of one feat, is not going to be a problem.

There is, however, the problem of classes like the Trapsmith (Dungeonscape, p. 53). A trapsmith has haste and clairvoyance/clairaudience as 1st level spells, and has otiluke's resilient sphere at 2nd level. A generous DM might allow this as well, or he might balk. He might say that if a spell is on your spell list already, you cannot add it as a lower level spell with this feat. Except: why not? If a necromancer wants to get animate dead at lower than 4th level, why shouldn't that be possible? And anyway, a class like Duskblade (PHBII, p. 19) doesn't have haste at all- should it really be able to get it as a 1st level spell via Extra Spell if it is only available to a wizard as a 3rd?

However, there appears to be a gap in the rules. Even if Extra Spell allows you to get a spell from the trapsmith list (and we are supposing it does), it does not say what spell you gain it as. It is natural to assume that since haste is a first level spell for the trapsmith, it becomes a first level spell for you, too. But the trapsmith is a prestige class whose logical entry is 5 rogue levels; you have to be a 6th level character to be a 1st level trapsmith and cast 1st level trapsmith spells. Which in itself makes it completely reasonable that some of these spells should be spells that are 3rd level on other lists; 6th level is when clerics, druids, sorcerers and wizards all have access to 3rd level spells. But this also suggests that 1st level trapsmith spells become 3rd level spells for a duskblade with extra spell, and can only be learned when a duskblade has access to 4th level spells. (This isn't a very good deal for the duskblade, but it is better than never learning haste at all, I suppose.)

So rather than the "natural" way of determining the spell level of a spell acquired by the extra spell feat, suppose we calculate a Spell Level Modifier (SLM) for a given spell list, to determine whether the spell level needs to be modified up or down when a spell moves from one spell list to another. I think the appropriate formula is as follows:

SLM = [(character level when 1st level spells are cast) - 1] / 2
(round down)

In table form:

{table=head]Level |SLM
1 or 2 |+0
3 or 4 |+1
5 or 6 |+2
7 or 8 | +3
9 or 10|+4
etc.|
[/table]

So since a rogue 5/trapsmith 1 casts first level spells as a 6th level character, trapsmith spells have a +2 modifier. You'd treat a trapsmith spell as a spell two levels higher for the purpose of things like Extra Spell. Conversely a trapsmith could use Extra Spell to add a 3rd level wizard spell to his list as a 1st level spell.

According to the same logic, a paladin's spell list has a SLM of +1. So if you wanted to snag bless weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWeapon.htm/) it would be treated as a 2nd level spell, not a 1st. Conversely a paladin could use Extra Spell to get a 2nd level cleric spell as if it were a 1st level paladin spell.

I am unsure whether the rules for magic items are in need of adjustment. A trapsmith could make a very cheap (750 gp) wand of haste. With Sanctum Spell (Complete Arcane, p. 55), a very cheap (750 gp) wand of otiluke's resilient sphere (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resilientSphere.htm). My feeling is that things would be a lot more tidy if SLM applied to item creation as well.

Incidentally, the Nar Demonbinder (Unapproachable East, p. 25) has a spell progression that begins with 4th level spells. With a logical entry of 7 levels (due to a prerequisite of Knowledge (the planes): 10 ranks). This means it has already incorporated a SLM of +3. Which I find very encouraging.

Are there any bizarre consequences of this proposed rule? In the end it is a homebrewed rule, I suppose, but I want it to harmonize as much as possible with the rules and procedures that already exist, and these includes ways of extrapolating existing rules to fill whatever gaps may appear.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-30, 10:29 AM
I think you're overthinking this.
It's already a houserule anyway so you can just say "no early access to spells via Extra Spell" and rule 0 it if it comes up.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-30, 11:13 AM
Well, lets look at dread necromancer then. He expressly can add a necromancy spell from another class to his list. Is there anything stopping him from adding raise dead as a 3rd level spell?

Telonius
2013-07-30, 12:03 PM
If you're going to allow it all the way, I'd suggest using something similar to how Artificers can make scrolls at lower levels than normal. If you can manage to get a (normally) 5th-level spell on your list as a 3rd-level spell, fine; you can cast it as a 3rd-level spell. But you cast it at your current caster level. Save DCs and level-dependent stuff would be lower than if you waited until you were higher level and got it on your list at the usual level.

For example, a Wizard5 with 18 Int who somehow got Flame Strike on his Wizard spell list as a 3rd level spell would cast it as a 3rd-level Wizard spell. Range would be 150 feet; Saving Throw would be Reflex DC 17; to overcome spell resistance, you'd roll 1d20+5; and you'd deal 5d6 damage if you hit.

If he leveled up to 9, the range would be 190 feet, overcoming spell resistance would be 1d20+9, and damage would be 9d6; but the save DC would still be 17 (since it's a lower level spell). If he wanted to, he could apply the Heighten Spell feat to bump it up to a 5th-level spell; that would increase the DC to 19.

Cheiromancer
2013-07-30, 12:33 PM
Well, lets look at dread necromancer then. He expressly can add a necromancy spell from another class to his list. Is there anything stopping him from adding raise dead as a 3rd level spell?

Well, raise dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm) is a conjuration (healing) spell, not a necromancy spell. It is at least 5th level for every class that has it. Unless I'm missing some obscure class spell list. Dread Necromancer has 1st level spells at level 1, and so it has a SLM of +0.

So basically I don't see any way that a DN could get early access to raise dead.

@Telonius. As far as I can tell, you are describing the rules for a 3rd level spell. Which a wizard with flame strike as a 3rd level spell would certainly have to follow. So yeah, I'm in complete agreement with you.

@sleepyphoenixx. The intuition I had was just "trapsmith should work like Nar Demonbinder". It wasn't an overly complex thought. I apologize if my explanation is excessively complicated. As for rule 0 - well, there should be some reason why one exercise of rule 0 is to be preferred over another, right? I'm basically making the case why the rule 0 judgment for a trapsmith's spell list should be that trapsmith spells count as two levels higher for the purpose of Extra Spell.

edit: I don't want to bump this thread again, but I kinda like ericgrau's suggestion to append this to the text of Extra Spell:

"You may add a spell from another class list. For the purpose of this feat treat the effective spell level of a spell as being equal to ((character level the spell is normally obtained at) + 1) / 2, rounding down. For example a ranger can get 2nd level spells at 8th level, giving them an effective level of 4. A wizard could take a 2nd level ranger spell as if it were a 4th level wizard spell, or a ranger could take a 4th level wizard spell as if it were a 2nd level ranger spell. A paladin would still take a 2nd level ranger spell as a 2nd level spell, and vice versa."

On rethinking the whole issue I think there is probably no consistent philosophy for adjusting spell lists. Some will have a flat modifier (as I suggest for trapsmith); others will have a scaling modifier (as happens with ranger and paladin under ericgrau's suggestion). Some might not need a modifier at all.

On the whole, sleepyphoenixx probably gave the best advice. Don't allow the feat to give early access (i.e. use a regular 20th level base class's spell-list if possible) and otherwise use rule 0. (If there is a unique spell you want, look to see if the spell-list deserves a trapsmith style modifier.)

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-30, 12:50 PM
Fouredged Sword:
Frankly, Dread Necromancer needs Animate Dead (i assume thats what you meant) as a 3rd level spell to keep up with necro-clerics.
Being a specialized necromancer is after all the classes entire theme. I wouldn't even require a feat for that but that's obviously a houserule.

on topic:
If you want to make it a rule "no spells from PrC lists" would be less complicated and accomplish the same thing.
You could still get a few healing spells a little earlier of the Healer list but i don't think that's something to worry about.

A lot of players barely remember all the official rules so any houserules should be as short and simple as possible imo.
You can certainly use your system but it will most likely end up with you telling your players "you can't take haste as a 1st level spell because of houserule x, remember?".

Malimar
2013-07-30, 12:57 PM
I'm with the people who think you're overcomplicating it.

I, for one, just rule that if a spell appears on multiple lists at different levels, Extra Spell just picks the highest level. (Ignoring domains, unless it's a domain-only spell.)

(I haven't had anybody who wanted to play an archivist yet, but I'd probably use the same rule for them.)

Deophaun
2013-07-30, 01:15 PM
Well, lets look at dread necromancer then. He expressly can add a necromancy spell from another class the cleric and wizard lists to his list. Is there anything stopping him from adding raise dead as a 3rd level spell?
So, in addition to raise dead being a conjuration spell and not having any class that has it as a level 3 spell, there's that. I believe that adds up to three things stopping him.

ericgrau
2013-07-30, 01:45 PM
It's a fine idea but needs a more concise description.

Add the following to extra spell:

"You may add a spell from another class list. For the purpose of this feat treat the effective spell level of a spell as being equal to ((character level the spell is normally obtained at) + 1) / 2, rounding down. For example a ranger can get 2nd level spells at 8th level, giving them an effective level of 4. A wizard could take a 2nd level ranger spell as if it were a 4th level wizard spell, or a ranger could take a 4th level wizard spell as if it were a 2nd level ranger spell. A paladin would still take a 2nd level ranger spell as a 2nd level spell, and vis versa."