PDA

View Full Version : What have you enjoyed most from 3.5 GitP?

CyberThread
2013-07-30, 11:08 AM
What threads, subject matters, or persons have you enjoyed most on 3.5 forums on GitP?

ArqArturo
2013-07-30, 11:10 AM
The Paladin discussion. Hands down one of my favorite threads to peruse.

Also, to be able to give my Warmage handbook project a start.

Norin
2013-07-30, 11:14 AM
the many threads about how to fix or nerf casters. And the numerous threads about how overpowered [class] is. Lets not forget all the requests on how to show the other players or the gm who the real awesome dude is through gamebreaking to builds...

Actually, a lot of the handbooks and good info threads like the metaconcert thread, raw thread, planar thread, etc is what I love to read.

zorenathres
2013-07-30, 11:27 AM
gotta be the homebrew section for me, just way too much cool stuff.

though I have yet to weigh in on the ToB threads, they are sometimes fun to read (I'm an open DM, who likes balanced homebrew & ToB in games).

what really brought me here from the start was of course the OOTS :smallbiggrin:

Darth Stabber
2013-07-30, 11:38 AM
The knowledge base, the debates, and OotS. I have gone from as okay grasp to knowing it inside and out.

Amphetryon
2013-07-30, 12:30 PM
The Iron Chef revival.

The Test of Spite threads.

subject42
2013-07-30, 12:30 PM
I can't find the link right now, but I loved the Tippyverse campaign journal with the Binder and insane druid where horrors from the Far Realm were the lesser evil.

SilverClawShift's portable hole story (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6401889&postcount=15) was also great.

SamsDisciple
2013-07-30, 12:39 PM
I simply enjoy the fact that the community here on the playground have been helpful, courteous, and generally just fun to read/post with. On other forums of this nature I have seen flame wars started over the most insignificant things. While I am not on here very often I believe I have only ever seen one flame war and it was on an old thread that I searched to find relevant info. So kudos to the playground for being kid friendly!

Norin
2013-07-30, 02:24 PM
I can't find the link right now, but I loved the Tippyverse campaign journal with the Binder and insane druid where horrors from the Far Realm were the lesser evil.

Any chance anyone has a link to this journal?

Dimers
2013-07-30, 02:31 PM
The tier system, actually. It's been really enlightening to see what drives the differences between various classes and builds, to the point that just being aware of it has made my games better.

Amphetryon
2013-07-30, 02:32 PM
Any chance anyone has a link to this journal?

Ask Emperor Tippy, would be my advice.

A_S
2013-07-30, 02:36 PM
korg cast knock. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049

Also Iron Chef.

Curmudgeon
2013-07-30, 04:37 PM
The "Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW)" threads let me increase my knowledge of the game rules, in bits and pieces as I have the time.

Grayson01
2013-07-30, 08:17 PM
Any of the Rouge or/and Assassin Posts.

Namfuak
2013-07-30, 08:23 PM
I like having learned a lot about 3.5 as a system, from general class balance and tips to specific tricks and fun builds. I have to say that right now the dysfunction thread is my most commonly read one, but often Iron Chef comes up with some very creative builds.

Psyren
2013-07-30, 08:56 PM
I simply enjoy the fact that the community here on the playground have been helpful, courteous, and generally just fun to read/post with. On other forums of this nature I have seen flame wars started over the most insignificant things. While I am not on here very often I believe I have only ever seen one flame war and it was on an old thread that I searched to find relevant info. So kudos to the playground for being kid friendly!

This. WotC forums were a cesspool, ENWorld is a ghost town. Playground has the best balance of active user base and courtesy.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-30, 08:59 PM
Zinc Saucier. I really need to offer to judge one day.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-30, 09:03 PM

Absolutely.

The "Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW)" threads let me increase my knowledge of the game rules, in bits and pieces as I have the time.

I'm just going to say it - I find that pretty hard to believe. You're Curmudgeon.

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-30, 09:07 PM
This. WotC forums were a cesspool, ENWorld is a ghost town. Playground has the best balance of active user base and courtesy.

When your skin hardens from exposure to darker internets, Minmax is pretty alright as well, but this board is certainly more courteous. I imagine it has to do with the extensive modding that gets done here.

My favorite part is learning new tricks and combos that I wouldn't have picked up on my own.

Invader
2013-07-30, 09:18 PM
I was a big of fan of the DWK/true dragon debate.

I also really like the "Most obscure thing you know about D&D" thread, probably my favorite ongoing thread.

Haluesen
2013-07-30, 09:40 PM
On the Playground as a whole, I love that it is generally really friendly here compared to a lot of other places on the internet and there are some pretty respectable people all around. About the 3.5 stuff, I love all the homebrew the most, but the tier stuff is interesting too. I also love Iron Chef. :smalltongue:

mattie_p
2013-07-30, 11:09 PM

Same here. As a somewhat regular contributor in that thread, I learn a lot when I get a chance to research answers.

korg cast knock. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049

Yes. This is awesome.

The Iron Chef revival.

The Test of Spite threads.

Both of these are good, but I love IC and try to support when I can.

Zinc Saucier. I really need to offer to judge one day.

Aww, thanks. New competition is up, by the way.

Tvtyrant
2013-07-30, 11:20 PM
I love the individuals and how they think. Even if there are some group approved opinions, they get argued against often enough that I never feel things are stagnant. New handbooks come out more than a decade after the game ended because new ideas are constantly flowing in.

Eldariel
2013-07-30, 11:31 PM
The vast wealth of options the system offers, and the consequent world of constant discovery that lead to among other things the wonders of 339, minmax and Test of Spite alongside all the more minor discoveries, and many of the awesome journals that have kept me entertained for oh-so-long.

For all that's wrong with 3.5 (and thinking from game design perspective, this list is long), the options even now explored by the community forgive a lot.

Dimers
2013-07-31, 12:25 AM
(Yay, awesome thread idea, OP!)

Waker
2013-07-31, 08:18 AM
Hmm, well I am quite fond of some of the projects that go on in Homebrew. Some very interesting ideas get posted in there.
I like perusing the large amount of threads in the 3.5/PF section, mostly so I can tell people that they need to play as a Bard, Totemist, Incarnate or ToB class.

Darrin
2013-08-01, 10:49 AM
So many things, but this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14687875&postcount=5) is very high on my list this morning. Just... Orbital Pope Bombardment Cannon. How can you top that?

Actually, this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266853) does that and more. It takes everything that is so much more awesome than any other form of entertainment, pounds it into a thick ball, and then cracks it in half to show you that was just a cap on top of a geyser of even more purified awesomesauce. Every great campaign should start like this: on a goblin airship, powered by a surly lightning elemental, in a screaming high-speed dive towards the arctic tundra, on fire. And that's just when the jetpack-powered hydras appear on the horizon.

Most of all, the people you find here are 10x more awesome than Notgonnasplode + Jetpack Hydras:

Person_Man: Inspired me to attempt some of my own handbooks. In fact, maybe half of everything I post on these boards involves the thought, "Hey, maybe I should add this to one of Person_Man's threads...".

Keld Denar: Inspired me to become an expert on all the convoluted rules quirks involving unarmed strikes and natural weapons. There are certain days where I actually believe this expertise is useful and helpful to other people, and doesn't make me look like an insufferable prig.

Eldariel: For some reason, I keep mixing him up with Keld Denar (must be the "Eld" thing), but another font of useful handbooks and extremely helpful advice.

Curmudgeon: We may not always agree, but he is undoubtedly the sharpest, most brilliant authority on all things RAW. His attention to detail and his thoroughness inspires me to be just as detailed and thorough in RAW discussions, but even though some of us may strive to be equal, none can exceed.

OMG_Ponies: I am still in awe of his Iron Chef output, either as a contestant or a judge. The king of "Yes, you can break the rules this way AND still have a jolly good time!".

Big_Fau: Really good at big, long, expository posts full of advice, obscure rules, links, extensive research, and overflowing with useful information (posted quickly, well before I have time to finish my big, long expository posts).

Biffonacious_Furiou: His posts still flabbergast me... because he takes all the massive information that Big_Fau can spout off quickly, then somehow encapsulates it all into a single paragraph of about 10-15 lines of text. The information density just staggers me to the point that I am restricted to only a move or standard action for one round.

Emperor_Tippy: Every time he posts, campaign worlds explode like an adamantine broomstick cutting through a planet-sized pinata full of bacon-flavored plutonium candy.

And way too many others to count... Piggy Knowles, Venger, tyckspoon, Greenish, gorfnab, Gwendol, eggynack, Thurbane, nedz, TuggyNE... ok, somebody better permanent dirtnap me before this tearjerking slobberfest gets any worse. But now I'm terrified I forgot to mention somebody.

A_S
2013-08-01, 12:19 PM
Oh yeah, also Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207928) is, like, the single best-at-what-it-does thread I've ever seen.

Haluesen
2013-08-01, 12:42 PM
Hmm, well I am quite fond of some of the projects that go on in Homebrew. Some very interesting ideas get posted in there.
I like perusing the large amount of threads in the 3.5/PF section, mostly so I can tell people that they need to play as a Bard, Totemist, Incarnate or ToB class.

The homebrew here is great, I have found so many interesting things to use in my campaigns here to throw my players off. Also because you mentioned it, I like a lot of those you mentioned but is Incarnate good? Never tried one.

So many things, but this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14687875&postcount=5) is very high on my list this morning. Just... Orbital Pope Bombardment Cannon. How can you top that?

Actually, this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266853) does that and more. It takes everything that is so much more awesome than any other form of entertainment, pounds it into a thick ball, and then cracks it in half to show you that was just a cap on top of a geyser of even more purified awesomesauce. Every great campaign should start like this: on a goblin airship, powered by a surly lightning elemental, in a screaming high-speed dive towards the arctic tundra, on fire. And that's just when the jetpack-powered hydras appear on the horizon.

Most of all, the people you find here are 10x more awesome than Notgonnasplode + Jetpack Hydras:

Person_Man: Inspired me to attempt some of my own handbooks. In fact, maybe half of everything I post on these boards involves the thought, "Hey, maybe I should add this to one of Person_Man's threads...".

Keld Denar: Inspired me to become an expert on all the convoluted rules quirks involving unarmed strikes and natural weapons. There are certain days where I actually believe this expertise is useful and helpful to other people, and doesn't make me look like an insufferable prig.

Eldariel: For some reason, I keep mixing him up with Keld Denar (must be the "Eld" thing), but another font of useful handbooks and extremely helpful advice.

Curmudgeon: We may not always agree, but he is undoubtedly the sharpest, most brilliant authority on all things RAW. His attention to detail and his thoroughness inspires me to be just as detailed and thorough in RAW discussions, but even though some of us may strive to be equal, none can exceed.

OMG_Ponies: I am still in awe of his Iron Chef output, either as a contestant or a judge. The king of "Yes, you can break the rules this way AND still have a jolly good time!".

Big_Fau: Really good at big, long, expository posts full of advice, obscure rules, links, extensive research, and overflowing with useful information (posted quickly, well before I have time to finish my big, long expository posts).

Biffonacious_Furiou: His posts still flabbergast me... because he takes all the massive information that Big_Fau can spout off quickly, then somehow encapsulates it all into a single paragraph of about 10-15 lines of text. The information density just staggers me to the point that I am restricted to only a move or standard action for one round.

Emperor_Tippy: Every time he posts, campaign worlds explode like an adamantine broomstick cutting through a planet-sized pinata full of bacon-flavored plutonium candy.

And way too many others to count... Piggy Knowles, Venger, tyckspoon, Greenish, gorfnab, Gwendol, eggynack, Thurbane, nedz, TuggyNE... ok, somebody better permanent dirtnap me before this tearjerking slobberfest gets any worse. But now I'm terrified I forgot to mention somebody.

You name some very inspiring people there. :smallsmile: It is my hope to eventually be like many of them, deserving of respect and able to inspire many others on this site. :smallsigh: A lofty goal to be sure. I'll never be as great as some of the people you mentioned like Tippy and Ponies and Piggy. But I can still try. :smallwink:

Snowbluff
2013-08-01, 12:51 PM
I, too, wish to become a household name.

But now I'm terrified I forgot to mention somebody.

To be fair, we hardly talk.

Points to Larkas, Squirreldude and Streamofthesky. Mostly because of our PF dialectics. Thiagomartell is another I respect even though we argued a lot.

Morcleon can die in a hole.

Edit: OMG we forgot Plzbreakmycampaign.

QuintonBeck
2013-08-01, 01:37 PM
Originally came here a poor, uneducated beginner within the realm of D&D 3.5, and while I still consider myself to be in training and no where near the names of the listed and recognizable, I feel more and more confident with my understanding of roleplaying games and 3.5 specifically. It's so much fun to come on here and read the forums offering up great advice whenever anyone asks for it and the civilized debates over varying features of the game. It really is a great community here. I'm very happy to be a (minor) part of it.

Biotroll
2013-08-01, 01:52 PM
I like the helpfulness of this community. I usualy scan the forums for handbooks, campaign journals, iron chef and weird character ideas. I also like to check RAW threads and various questions about nature of the rules as it helps me to get better at them too.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-01, 04:30 PM
Don't worry, Snowbluff, I always check out your threads.

How have we not mentioned Amphetryon or Thurbane yet?

Snowbluff
2013-08-01, 04:45 PM
Don't worry, Snowbluff, I always check out your threads.

How have we not mentioned Amphetryon or Thurbane yet?
Then I forgot to personally Kuulvheysoon. :smalltongue:

Waker
2013-08-01, 11:08 PM
The homebrew here is great, I have found so many interesting things to use in my campaigns here to throw my players off. Also because you mentioned it, I like a lot of those you mentioned but is Incarnate good? Never tried one.
Well of course it's good, one of my favorite classes. It's just one of those who doesn't seem to be immensely powerful, though very handy at low levels and excellent when multiclassing. Depending on your alignment and playstyle, they fit the role of tank and skillmonkey fairly well. But I don't wanna spend too much time here talking it up and derailing the thread.

As for naming people here, a few good names have been brought up so I'll mention others. I always enjoy seeing Psyren come in and explain psionics to people, that and he has the best avatar on the forum. T G Oskar always brings a smile with his expansive posts and detailed Homebrew projects. UrPriest continues to educate people on how monsters are people and that people are monsters too.

The Trickster
2013-08-01, 11:35 PM
I love the dysfunctional rules thread(s). It gives me a good laugh when I need it sometimes.

Fyermind
2013-08-02, 12:56 AM
I check Saintheart's Red Hand of Doom handbook daily. I haven't had a group to play with regularly in almost five years, so I spend a lot of time playing around testing encounters on my own. I've been working on chapter 1 of the RHoD a lot lately, and posting answers to questions in the handbook as well as my takes on some things not commonly thought of as problems has been a lot of fun.

nedz
2013-08-02, 03:21 AM
Learning about 3.5 — a project that I never seem to complete

I also love the left field stuff, the crazy crazy threads — all RAW of course.