PDA

View Full Version : locked gantled , grease .. should i rule it like this?

Kerilstrasz
2013-07-30, 12:53 PM
Assume X with locked gauntlet holding a flail..
Caster Y cast grease on X's flail in order for X to drop the flail...

I assume X doesn't drop the weapon cause of locked gauntlet..
but should X get a minor -1 to attack rolls because she s unable to get a proper grip for the duration of grease?

Galdor Miriel
2013-07-30, 12:55 PM
No. If someone has gone to the trouble of getting a locked on weapon that is the whole schtick. Grease could still make them fall over though... You have to let players win sometimes remember.

Galvin
2013-07-30, 06:38 PM
There is nothing listed about this. I would say it would have no affect, as the locked gauntlet's lock holds it against the wielder's hand, and any slick substances would have no real affect.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-30, 06:42 PM
grats, he just put fresh lube on the other guys locks and chains.

as far as dm ruling, the -1 sounds fair and I would personally not have a problem with that.

Jack_Simth
2013-07-30, 07:14 PM

but should X get a minor -1 to attack rolls because she s unable to get a proper grip for the duration of grease?

Not a bad ruling. I'd personally be more inclined to simply have the grease negate the defensive bonus to disarm checks from the Locked Gauntlet, but given that it's just a first level spell, I'd be reasonably happy with your ruling as a player.

JaronK
2013-07-30, 07:24 PM
Grease can't make someone drop their flail anyway. It goes on the ground.

JaronK

Deophaun
2013-07-30, 07:28 PM
Grease can't make someone drop their flail anyway. It goes on the ground.
That's news to the SRD:

The spell can also be used to create a greasy coating on an item. Material objects not in use are always affected by this spell, while an object wielded or employed by a creature receives a Reflex saving throw to avoid the effect. If the initial saving throw fails, the creature immediately drops the item.

TuggyNE
2013-07-31, 06:19 AM

The way I would suggest is to apply the +10 bonus from the locked gauntlet to the Reflex save: after all, it's a "roll made to avoid being disarmed", right? If they fail that roll, well, may as well figure they managed to completely flub their grip somehow.

Ashtagon
2013-07-31, 06:53 AM
The way I would suggest is to apply the +10 bonus from the locked gauntlet to the Reflex save: after all, it's a "roll made to avoid being disarmed", right? If they fail that roll, well, may as well figure they managed to completely flub their grip somehow.

This is how I would treat it too. Also, even if it was fully dropped, I'd treat it as no longer "wielded" but "carried", rather than actually "dropped" (similar to how shields can be carried for no benefit or actually wielded). The various chains and braces prevent the weapon from falling from the hand, but the character will still need to re-adjust his grip to wield it again.

The gauntlet itself can't be removed by that spell, or by anything much in combat that doesn't "unhand" or "disarm" the character in the messiest way possible.

Talderas
2013-07-31, 10:53 AM

Disarm is an action which uses opposed attack rolls. Since the grease spell does not include an attack roll it is not a disarm attempt.

Kerilstrasz
2013-07-31, 06:29 PM
i don't suggest that grease would disarm the flail. The attempt fails automatically. Just that -1 to attack rolls because although the weapon stays in players hand, he can't get a good enough grip for precise hits.. thus the -1.

TuggyNE
2013-08-01, 02:10 AM
Disarm is an action which uses opposed attack rolls. Since the grease spell does not include an attack roll it is not a disarm attempt.

Yes, I know it's probably not RAW. I was suggesting a houserule that abides by the spirit of both sections of the text.